Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March 29-30th moderate nor'easter

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first time the river in my backyard has gotten as high as it is now since Irene on August 28, 2011. Sitting at 4.9 ft high, cresting at 5.4 ft early Monday morning.

For comparison, Irene's rain got the river up to 7.4 ft, which pushed the water up into my backyard, only 4 feet away from the house. However, the river was forecast to go up to 12 ft at one point early in the storm (thank god it didn't or my house would have been well under water)

Son in Frederick, MD snowing and grass, decks covered

I'm not surprised. This was shown clearly on the models. Colder air wraps in and digs down into that area with the heavier precip (maybe 2-3"/hour NW of Baltimore at the moment, although accumulations will probably total 1/3 or 1/4 of that). We get lighter precip but popcorn showers and thunderstorms coming in from the SE. These usually are not modeled well as far as qpf goes, but conditions are favorable for short heavy downpours (heaviest should be over CT, though.....best chance for us should be tonight, I'd say between 7pm through the overnight). As said yesterday, I think the 3-5" amounts will verify. Most areas near here are 2-3" right now and Long Island is in the 3-5"+ range already. An additional inch or so may fall over the area today and tonight

Sent from my iPhone

3.0 inches total so far here in Sheepshead Bay

It's intresting that overnight your station got clipped with heavy rain, your station was showing 0.66 while here 6 miles west of you I only recorded 0.04 since midnight. Otherwise yesterday I had about the same as you recorded.

Archived