• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 29-30th moderate nor'easter

Mikehobbyst

A well-defined swath of snowcover to our west from yesterday's initial band. A general 6-12" fell from west of Scranton to east of Binghamton, though if you loop this morning's visible satellite imagery, it's amazing to see how quickly the snow is disappearing.

That's an awesome loop. 

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Hurricane expert on TWC 1992 and 2004 are possible analogs for this upcoming tropical season. Of course both of those years featured major landfalls in Florida. I don't really feel comfortable saying that any season might compare to 2004, that was a once in a lifetime type season.

bastardi has a long discussion on the hurricane season on the front page of weatherbell

http://www.weatherbell.com/

This was one of the best NAM/HRRR short term snow forecasts of the cold season here. While

the NAM was a bit too far east, the heavier snow signal in the band was there. The RGEM

What too light and too far west.

What do we have to do to get to to get midlevel lapse rates this steep during the thunderstorm season? :)

These great lapse rates have been fairy common this cold season.

OKX 12z

700-500 lapse rate: 7.08 C/km

attachicon.gifacsnw_t3sfc_f13.png

attachicon.gifNAM.gif

attachicon.gifRGEM.gif

HRRR FTW!!! What an amazing job this winter...I posted the HRRR map at like 3 am, I didn't believe it myself

post-4195-0-73749400-1396290132_thumb.jp

Looks like out by Yaphank/Medford/Coram is where the highest amounts fell. I think some people out there must have gotten 6" based on the intensity of the snow.

Wouldn't surprise me.  Peak intensity here was close to 4"/hour.  It doesn't take much extra time under a band of that intensity to pile it up.  It did look to me on radar that it lingered a little longer just to my east.

To be fair, earlier this month some folks were laboring through points of how rare late march snow was and how it can barely happen. Therefore those same people should be in awe of today's snows and not downplaying them. Not only did it stick, it accumulated, during the day, on march 31st. Imagine that!

But to be fair, snow fell heavy (3" per hr at ISP) and when the sun angle was at it's lowest.

Low sun angle was a bigger factor for those places. Places more with than 2.0" saw heavy snow.

Made it a point in one of my observations that snow was sticking- to the middle of sunrise highway- during the day (ok albeit 8:30 in the morning) and it was NOT heavy snow. Might have been borderline, but visibility was Absolutely greater than 1/4 mile. As I got further into Suffolk the rates went to heavy for sure. Point is- snow can stick to any surface on the last day of march even without heavy snow. Even if I only proved it to myself.

Made it a point in one of my observations that snow was sticking- to the middle of sunrise highway- during the day (ok albeit 8:30 in the morning) and it was NOT heavy snow. Might have been borderline, but visibility was Absolutely greater than 1/4 mile. As I got further into Suffolk the rates went to heavy for sure. Point is- snow can stick to any surface on the last day of march even without heavy snow. Even if I only proved it to myself.

Definitely, but it DOES have to be at least heavy enough to build a foundation I believe. That could be the only reason I can think of as to why it would stick in march or April with the sun out, yet sometimes struggle in January even (lighter snow)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, its the same old tired argument from some. Beating a dead horse. Just goes to show how over played that whole argument is IMO

It does play a role, bit not nearly the amount that is portrayed

Per Hurricane expert on TWC 1992 and 2004 are possible analogs for this upcoming tropical season. Of course both of those years featured major landfalls in Florida. I don't really feel comfortable saying that any season might compare to 2004, that was a once in a lifetime type season.

lol really? How is one deserted year with one gem like Andrew combined with a year on tropic roids like 2004? 

hahahhaha

Archived