• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 29-30th moderate nor'easter

Mikehobbyst

Guys I'm in Suffolk. Straight Altanta Georgia situation here.  No plows, no salt and close to 6 inches of snow now and doesn't look to end anytime soon. Took me 1 hour and 20 min to get to work.  I live 2 miles from work.

Thats a HUGE & beautiful wow & thats why we follow weather - for moments like these when we come to understand mankind , no matter how scientifically advanced, is vulnrable to the whims and poweer of mother nature. If you arent impressed give up weather NOW

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brother- there`s 4 to 6 inches up on the N shore of Suffolk County . Don`t fight this one .

It turned into a warning type snow at rush hour  , not modeled well , that NO ONE SAW. 

It`s not  an inch or 2. 

I'm seeing that the short range, high res models actually did show this.  Still seems like a pretty narrow band of the heavy accumulations.

This event kind of reminds me of the several times I went out to experience LES. Although the bands were often narrow, the snowfall rates were intense and traffic was frequently brought to a near standstill in areas where the heaviest snow was falling. For Long Islanders experiencing the band of heavy snow, this is a nice event to cap a great winter.

Sucks that the City misses again, but that's been the story since 2/13..

Back to the dramatics I see.

Sorry, but this was an event completely unforecasted (every forecast from the NWS or elsewhere I can think of had a light mix or some snow to end but no accums), and snow is coming down at up to 3" an hour with thunder. It's also happening over a highly populated area, not NYC obviously but western Suffolk has tons of activity and traffic that goes back and forth to NYC on horribly overcrowded roads on normal days. It's not Armageddon but still very high impact, and given the intense mesoscale banding, is an extremely impressive event any time of the year, much less March 31st.

closing in on 5 inches a cpl of towns east of stony brook.

Some places like maybe Stony Brook and Patchogue in this for the longest must have 6" by now.

Wow, enjoy because unfortunately this time of year it'll be gone in no time. I remember the early April 2003 snow was all gone in less than 24 hours and we had 7".

Another 1" of snow at ISP, past hour. Bring them up to 5". Looks like it's winding down there now:

2014/03/31 14:56 KISP 311456Z 34012G20KT 1SM R06/3500VP6000FT -SNPL BR VV008 01/00 A2985 RMK AO2 PLB39 SLP107 SNINCR 1/5 P0022 60057 T00110000 51022

The band is pivoting east more now, so the snow shouldn't last much longer over any one area. The sky is starting to brighten here in Manhattan.

Archived