Changes afoot for next week and beyond. May could potentially come in AN

TUESDAY AND BEYOND...FURTHER PATTERN MODIFICATION HERE WITH ZONAL

FLOW TRENDING TOWARD A WESTERN US TROUGH AND A DEVELOPING DOWNSTREAM

RIDGE OVER THE EAST. THIS WOULD SUGGEST MILDER TEMPS AND A TREND

TOWARD DRIER WEATHER. THIS IS SUPPORTED BY TELECONNECTIONS WITH

NEGATIVE AO AND NAO TRENDING NEUTRAL ALONG WITH A POSITIVE PNA

TRENDING NEUTRAL AS WELL.

Next week looking very nice after Monday's cool down

Next week will probably have self destructive sun Monday and Tuesday...Monday might be a real chilly day with aftn clouds and any shwrs. Then, we'll have to watch where the WF ends up late next week because if it's just SW of us, then another 2 day disaster could happen.

Next week will probably have self destructive sun Monday and Tuesday...Monday might be a real chilly day with aftn clouds and any shwrs. Then, we'll have to watch where the WF ends up late next week because if it's just SW of us, then another 2 day disaster could happen.

I'm so happy I was able to spend the weekend at V. Tech.  Really enjoyed the 80* sun--felt bad having to tell my wife while she was waking to 36* rain.

How delayed are the leaves and flowers?  Aside from a crocus, I don't think I've seen anything up here.  The grass is greening a bit, but nothing on the trees (buds on bushes though).

35.0/34

.14 on the day

I'm so happy I was able to spend the weekend at V. Tech.  Really enjoyed the 80* sun--felt bad having to tell my wife while she was waking to 36* rain.

How delayed are the leaves and flowers?  Aside from a crocus, I don't think I've seen anything up here.  The grass is greening a bit, but nothing on the trees (buds on bushes though).

35.0/34

.14 on the day

My guess is maybe a week or so on avg give or take a few days? 

Euro looked like a few flakes Sunday night in the higher hilltops? Or maybe graupel.

I don't have a lot of issues with Kevin's readings...I just wish he had it online. He uses every social network out there and has a million dollar yard, but can't get his station online.

Most of the time they are fine, or with his high dewpoint for example...reasonable accurate given the wet mulch bed..but there are definitely times where it's a head scratcher. I'll leave it at that.

ORH/BDL/PVD have locked in below average for April....that would be 6 consecutive months...and I know at least 8 out of last 9 for ORH. Not sure BOS will make below normal, but it will be a photo finish if they rot at like 43F all day today.

Been streaky lately...we had that ridiculous cluster of above normal months from 2012 to 2013.

I don't have a lot of issues with Kevin's readings...I just wish he had it online. He uses every social network out there and has a million dollar yard, but can't get his station online.

Owns the best phone in the world according to him but probably doesn't know 1/10th of its capabilities so the odds of his station ever coming online are slim to none.

ORH/BDL/PVD have locked in below average for April....that would be 6 consecutive months...and I know at least 8 out of last 9 for ORH. Not sure BOS will make below normal, but it will be a photo finish if they rot at like 43F all day today.

Been streaky lately...we had that ridiculous cluster of above normal months from 2012 to 2013.

posted that yesterday if they average 43 it will be a statistical tie with normal

Yeah...probably based on other obs. Of course UP can still be plain rain though. I thought the previous night's UP looked more questionable. Automation FTL.

Yeah I know, it would be nice to get ground truth. I could see some sleet possible there..especially last night with Kevin and Hubb's obs. It's still cold aloft based on GYX sounding.

Most of the time they are fine, or with his high dewpoint for example...reasonable accurate given the wet mulch bed..but there are definitely times where it's a head scratcher. I'll leave it at that.

I'd take some of the home stations over ASOS for temps...at least those with good siting and full aspiration. Many of the ASOS sites are concreted in with paved access roads. Maybe the high end thermometers can give you .01F resolution and .1F accuracy, but it doesn't mean much with a +1F siting error. Of course there's probably more bad than good home stations out there and MADIS only picks out the most egregious errors.

The Davis dews are definitely jumpy and on the high side though unless you calibrate the RH down. If you're a dew loving weenie though you just wait for a dew spike with light winds and then report that as your current dew. On some of the programs I've made I take the lowest dew recorded during a 5min span and it matches up well with CON.

Davis uses a sensirion SHT11, but you can get more accuracy if you switch it out with a SHT15 or SHT75. Those good with electronics and soldering can do this easily.

35.0/34

.14 on the day

Slow going up in the hills this year and even here not much popping besides crocus, with some magnolias and forsythia showing but down the valley in Northampton and Springfield things are really flowering and greening up. (Forsythia look pathetic this year all over town, not sure what the problem is.)

I think the past few springs had early blooms which have fooled us into thinking this year is late.

Archived