joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you understood probability you wouldn't be disappointed. this wasn't a hard forecast

If you understood probability, you would know the extremely low odds of 3 straight snowstorms missing the NYC metro to our south in March.  Maybe you could not kick people when they're down - it's unbecoming. 

if you understood probability you wouldn't be disappointed. this wasn't a hard forecast

I knew it was 95% likely a couple of inches or less for NYC about 2 days ago, 4 days ago the probability of a miss was pretty well indicated on almost all the runs of all the reliable models, and I am still disappointed.  Even 5 or 6 days ago, it was only an odd run or two of any model that said this would be joyous, and that model was usually the Canadian.

Like Texas getting whipped in the Alamo Bowl by Oregon, I knew it'd require a miracle for any outcome but that, and I still wasn't happy.

I was hoping for a Cape blizzard at least.  That might still happen.  Maybe.

I knew it was 95% likely a couple of inches or less for NYC about 2 days ago, 4 days ago the probability of a miss was pretty well indicated on almost all the runs of all the reliable models, and I am still disappointed.  Even 5 or 6 days ago, it was only an odd run or two of any model that said this would be joyous, and that model was usually the Canadian.

Like Texas getting whipped in the Alamo Bowl by Oregon, I knew it'd require a miracle for any outcome but that, and I still wasn't happy.

The elbow of the Cape is probably in for a good snow event but it'll be a close call.

If you understood probability, you would know the extremely low odds of 3 straight snowstorms missing the NYC metro to our south in March.  Maybe you could not kick people when they're down - it's unbecoming. 

Not defending forky, but you know that unless there is something fishy with the coin itself, 5 flips landing tails, the sixth flip has a 50/50 chance if being tails again.

Not to mention if the persistent lack of something in the pattern meant it was more than just a coin flip of OTS.

But I do unerstand it isn't nice to troll nice people who were hoping to close the season with a bang,

Like Oregon in any meaningful game in front of the national stage every season, this storm was a let down.......

a significant snow in NYC from this storm was always a low probability because there was never model consensus for it. i don't care that other storms missed us this month. that has nothing to do with this storm. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler's_fallacy ) if you're upset because of that then take paxil or something. people who whine about missing snowstorms sound like children who played chicken with doing their homework and lost 

Archived