amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh i dont know at this point im calling for a chance of snow and very windy. IMO we're still not too close to a true consensus, all the pieces we need for this arent all sampled yet. We have to use patience here and not start throwing in the towel here, need i remind everyone this is the 18z GFS as well? ;)

.1+ for everyone..really bad run

Hopefully 0z has a further west trend, or it's fairly likely it ends up a graze or OTS. The elements of this that will cause a close to the coast track or out to sea are determined pretty soon, and after 0z the writing will pretty much be on the wall one way or the other.

Things definitely aren't trending west. As stated earlier, models have done an incredible job with this storm. The consensus between most of the models is the best of any storm this year. There's really also been no trends west or east that have been too substantial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully 0z has a further west trend, or it's fairly likely it ends up a graze or OTS. The elements of this that will cause a close to the coast track or out to sea are determined pretty soon, and after 0z the writing will pretty much be on the wall one way or the other.

0z should and i emphasize should produce a different look than what 12z has shown one of the pieces of energy is still in a sparse data region in CA. No one has been talking of the UKMET consistency in its forecast the past three days though, think that should hold some weight here.

Was comparing the 18z to 12z; the ULL is further west, the Rex Block is stronger, and the ridge in the west is slightly more amplified. It looks like the GFS has trouble with the southern stream disturbance (bias). Mets clarify if I am wrong.gfs_z500_vort_namer_13.pnggfs_z500_vort_namer_14.png

Things definitely aren't trending west. As stated earlier, models have done an incredible job with this storm. The consensus between most of the models is the best of any storm this year. There's really also been no trends west or east that have been too substantial

Sent from my iPhone

In my opinion models will not have done an incredible job until the storm has been modeled.... come... result... and gone...little early for that right now the consistency right now is remarkable but will it be the end game?

We cannot keep using the 'it's not fully sampled' excuse every time a storm appears to not be heading in our direction. Sampling is fine as of 12z today. Models are honing in on a track. We aren't in a prime zone for 'THE BIG ONE.' We just aren't. There's no Atlantic blocking and this storm, though a beauty in strength, was poised to move further east due to that.

We cannot keep using the 'it's not fully sampled' excuse every time a storm appears to not be heading in our direction. Sampling is fine as of 12z today. Models are honing in on a track. We aren't in a prime zone for 'THE BIG ONE.' We just aren't. There's no Atlantic blocking and this storm, though a beauty in strength, was poised to move further east due to that.

Disagree with no blocking causing a big storm to east. That is not ALWAYS the case, there are plenty of other mechanisms that occur than just the atlantic pal

Was comparing the 18z to 12z; the ULL is further west, the Rex Block is stronger, and the ridge in the west is slightly more amplified. It looks like the GFS has trouble with the southern stream disturbance (bias). Mets clarify if I am wrong.gfs_z500_vort_namer_13.pnggfs_z500_vort_namer_14.png

The southern stream disturbance runs ahead of the northern stream and phases much later.

The models have been markedly consistent for days now.  THAT SHOULD BE THE BIGGEST RED FLAG OF ALL!  I will be in shock if there are not some significant changes here shortly, whichever direction that takes us.  Correct me if I am wrong, but all of the last three big storms were also very consistently modeled until about 3 days out, then all of a sudden they changed within about 72 hours of the storm.  Two to the south and one to the north.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  I would expect some changes here shortly.  I am NOT saying that this means we will get hit, but it would truly be amazing if the current solutions verified.

The models have been markedly consistent for days now.  THAT SHOULD BE THE BIGGEST RED FLAG OF ALL!  I will be in shock if there are not some significant changes here shortly, whichever direction that takes us.  

I've said this for 2 days, not sure this is the start of it or not on the 18Z GFS...the 18Z GFS runs have been really bad this winter so I've sort of gone DT mode on off hour runs lately where I just ignore them completely.

I've said this for 2 days, not sure this is the start of it or not on the 18Z GFS...the 18Z GFS runs have been really bad this winter so I've sort of gone DT mode on off hour runs lately where I just ignore them completely.

Well me too with 18z runs.  Isn't this why they only run the Euro at 0z and 12z?

The models have been markedly consistent for days now.  THAT SHOULD BE THE BIGGEST RED FLAG OF ALL!  I will be in shock if there are not some significant changes here shortly, whichever direction that takes us.  Correct me if I am wrong, but all of the last three big storms were also very consistently modeled until about 3 days out, then all of a sudden they changed within about 72 hours of the storm.  Two to the south and one to the north.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  I would expect some changes here shortly.  I am NOT saying that this means we will get hit, but it would truly be amazing if the current solutions verified.

im not sure I understand, expecting change because the models have been consistent?    And there was much more variance with the last few storms, the models are more closely aligned this time.  

These are exactly my thoughts only stated much better than I have tried to do.

One more thing that many people don't realize.  The ensemble mean does not give you much of an advantage statistically once you get to this range for the EC and Canadian, but it does for the GFS.  The verification scores at 3 days is nearly identical to the operational runs of the models for both the Euro and Canadian.  That is not the case for the GFS.  There is still an advantage to use the ensemble mean for the GFS at 3 days.

See: Mike Ventrice.

The goalposts have been pretty steady on all guidance including the ensembles. It really has been an extremely well modeled storm for the reasons Dr. Ventrice mentioned.

Of course a 50 mile swing could mean feet or cirrus for some. IMO it won't mean the models have failed this storm.

Let's not forget that it would still take a bigger change in the general consensus track to get a direct hit in the NYC area than it would to be a virtual whiff.

Archived