joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/18-3/19 Icy Event

JoshM

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much talk about around here right now. Most not expecting anything?

I think for us near the VA line we coud see some moderate icing out of this.

I'm wondering the same thing. There are already businesses that have announced that they'll be closed here tomorrow.

Maybe by the time temps dip to 32 or so (if they do) may be some frizzle? cause deep moisture and lift will be long gone....  Never thought this would be a wintry event anyways, (speaking for my area)!  We barely had enough rain to wet the ground today. and radar looks to miss me with what precip's out there. 40.4 degrees.  Sad thing is it looks to stay cool/cold through at least part of April = (COLD RAIN)

EDIT: well maybe I'll be wrong they have left the WWA in effect and added snow to the forecast? Maybe the ULL will produce tomorrow night?

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO
2 PM EDT MONDAY...

.TONIGHT...RAIN WITH FREEZING RAIN LIKELY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S.
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT.
.MONDAY...CLOUDY. SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN LIKELY IN THE MORNING...
THEN A CHANCE OF RAIN...SNOW AND SLEET IN THE AFTERNOON. LITTLE
OR NO SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION. MUCH COOLER. NEAR STEADY
TEMPERATURE IN THE MID 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE
OF PRECIPITATION 60 PERCENT.
.MONDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN OR DRIZZLE OR
FREEZING DRIZZLE AND SNOW IN THE EVENING...THEN A SLIGHT CHANCE
OF FREEZING DRIZZLE AND SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. NEAR STEADY
TEMPERATURE IN THE LOWER 30S. EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION 20 PERCENT.
.TUESDAY...CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN OR DRIZZLE OR FREEZING
DRIZZLE AND SNOW IN THE MORNING...THEN A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN OR
DRIZZLE IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S. LIGHT AND
VARIABLE WINDS...BECOMING EAST AROUND 10 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.
CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 20 PERCENT.

Not very much precip while temps are at or below freezing. Very marginal event, and not as high of impact as last storm. No winter storm warnings , just advisories. A pretty dud event, just a minor inconvenience , winters very last wheeze, congrats to VA!

What he said.

Not very much precip while temps are at or below freezing. Very marginal event, and not as high of impact as last storm. No winter storm warnings , just advisories. A pretty dud event, just a minor inconvenience , winters very last wheeze, congrats to VA!

Pretty much this.

Some of the modeling seems to indicate the possibility of some flakes in the border counties if some of the mid-levels are a thousand degrees.  850s are okay, anyways.

I'm just thinking we'll get light freezing rain and more likely freezing drizzle here.  An interesting event for mid-March, but pretty uneventful.

Ah ok. Do you think it will have any impacts on the roads tomorrow morning and Tuesday morning? NC piedmont weather (fb) made it sound like we could have enough ice to bring more trees down. For some reason I was thinking that was a member here and that's why I was so confused as to why there wasn't more talk about it.

Edit: Well whoever nc piedmont weather is, they just put out another update talking about the lack of moisture.

Ground temps have to be pretty darn warm?  I'll crap a ten-foot-long icicle if any S of Va. has

anything outside of "have to do it" advisory stuff.

Preparation-H.  They still sell that? 

Fritschy, that's your problem here.  The elevation is your enemy in these CAD events.  You've got to face this:  In general, Buncombe county is just a horrible place for wintry weather.  It's too low in elevation, and therefore too warm, during NW-flow events; and it's too high in elevation, and therefore too warm, during CAD events.  The only really decent way that Buncombe county can get a good winter storm is through a traditional gulf-low system that transforms into a Miller A, and those have been few and far between in recent years.

well gsp says along the blue ridge and buncombe I would think is in the blue ridge mtns.

well gsp says along the blue ridge and buncombe I would think is in the blue ridge mtns.

Buncombe County... is in a kinda bad place for recent events.  But, it's a large county stretching

from just beyond ridge tops that define the Blue Ridge directly east and all "downslope".

through the escarpment into Morganton.

Diverse, but interesting, place to live weather wise... all elevation dependent on lee side of 'mountains'.

Stay tuned for Spring Storms!  Northern Buncombe gets a lot of hail.... just off the ridge. 

looking at the mod's, i think tuesday morning could be interesting in the triangle. the nam get's sfc temps into the upper 20's overnight monday. its actually close to being below freezming from 4am tonight until midday tuesday. will be interesting to watch.

The 12Z NAM has much less qpf in N GA vs the prior two runs during the crucial 12 hour period ending 12Z on 3/18. Also, it isn't as cold at 925 mb. Obviously, that would mean no big deal for N GA. Nevertheless, which such a close call to a sig ZR on the three prior runs, I'll still be following this for N GA at least through tonight's 0z runs.

Edit: The reason for the much lower qpf on the 12Z NAM vs the prior three runs is that the track of the Miller A sfc low is suddenly quite a bit further SE vs the three prior runs. Those 3 runs had the low crossing over the N FL peninsula and then just off of GA. The 12Z run has the low about 100 miles further south when crossing FL and it goes well offshore the GA coast. Based on climo, that normally means less precip over N GA. Let's see if that holds in future runs. The NAM is often a relatively unstable model from run to run.

Well, both the 18Z and 0Z NAM runs have only very light qpf for the 12 hours ending 12Z on 3/18 in the ATL-AHN corridor. Also, 925's are warmer than they were on the threatening 6Z run as well as the prior two runs. Due to this as well as no other models showing precip. of consequence then along with showing it to be too warm, I'm giving up on the early 3/18 ZR threat for ATL-AHN. Also, I now don't think Mack in GSP will get much of anything, if anything. This was a fun sneaky threat to follow, regardless. It was kind of like a bonus in this great CAD winter. :)  :)

Good luck to James et al. I'm handing this off to you. Maybe you'll get something really nice ZR/IPwise.

Had some sleet mixing with rain at RDU. A very thin layer of ice trying to form on cars

Same up at my house. Right at 32.0 degrees and was getting some freezing on top of railings. Car windshield was covered with sleet and some accumulation on the side of the road. I'm now at work in Raleigh and nothing freezing here.

There is roughly a trace of ice in the trees and trace of snow/sleet on elevated surfaces. For the most part ground is wet with a slight whitish tint on the leaves in the woods and decking. 

More precip coming in from the west and judging by spc meso all layers look to be at and below freezing. So what falls shortly could be snow/sleet.

Nothing major by no means but 3rd wintry event for March is remarkable.

We had quite the flizzard at 6:30 am while I was sitting at the bus stop with my daughter. Had a light dusting on the cars, rooftops and grass. I've been at work since 7:30, so I haven't looked to see if it's doing anything atm. Our school system was one of the few that didn't have a delay and some parents are in an uproar. Roads were absolutely fine, so I don't think a delay was needed.

Archived