Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 3/3 30 degree temp change sleet/ice event for NC

mackerel_sky

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cold air is coming down from the north, and even northeast.  There's not going to be any cold air "spilling over the mountains" in this situation.

I know that. Which it was a mistake putting the borders in red.

But read your comment and mine look at the map those are clearly borders to the surface. Also the key word CAD

Yes there is "spilling over the mountains" and "banking against mountains" because its happening right now as the HP and LP move in a s/e direction.

You mean moisture?? Cold air is sourced from the Northeast for this event.

Yeah ok continue?!

We need a good long thread about what cad really is. I don't really see this situation as an event having anything to do with cad. True cad doesn't feature colder temps in Rocky Mount than what you see at GSP. For a later discussion I guess.

TW

Very good point! It is very unusual.! The call map that was put out by someone on here, shows the possible mix down to the Florence /MB area and quite a dip into E SC, but stops at NC/SC border out west!

We need a good long thread about what cad really is. I don't really see this situation as an event having anything to do with cad. True cad doesn't feature colder temps in Rocky Mount than what you see at GSP. For a later discussion I guess.

TW[/quote

A cad. builds in as HP slide into position in the NE, the winds/ air mass always cools from ne to sw as the HP funnels cold air down the east side of the apps. As the ne wind continuously banks air up against the eastern escarpment the air rises and cools even more and a cad air mass hangs around the longest right up against the mountains. It's always the last place is dislodges. But it's first affects are always from ne to sw across our state as it builds in. Tomorrows event you will be able to see temps drop in a ne to sw progression. Actually more of a north to south progression as the backside of the surface low pulling out will be what funnels the cold air down as opposed to a HP building into New England.

I know that. Which it was a mistake putting the borders in red.

But read your comment and mine look at the map those are clearly borders to the surface. Also the key word CAD

Yes there is "spilling over the mountains" and "banking against mountains" because its happening right now as the HP and LP move in a s/e direction.

What does the bolded even mean?  I legitimately cannot figure out what you are trying to say.

It doesn't really matter, but the mountains to my west are blocking the cold air from reaching me in Hickory, NC.  Your cold air in Roxboro is going to filter down to you from the north and east, but not against the immediate lee of the Apps.  I'm too far south and west in NC to get any meaningful effects from this cold air before all the precipitation is past me.  You're in a fortunate enough situation this time to get the cold air before me, which is incredibly unusual.  If this were a classic CAD situation, my location would be colder than yours.  If the cold air is "spilling over the mountains" anywhere, it would be much further north, perhaps in PA as Mack mentioned.

It looks like all schools in the WFMY Greensboro coverage area plan on going as scheduled tomorrow.  The only exception is Patrick County VA, going on a two hour delay.  That's just to give them more time in the am to assess the situation.  Smart move IMO.  Could get interesting tomorrow afternoon.

Just posted in the obs section but man its gone from 45 like 20 min ago to 39.7 that temp is moving fast! Blacksburg has us down to 9 tonight. I am extremely worried about road conditions later on its gonna be a nightmare out there poured rain all night.

HRRR goes nuts with precip later today right down I-40, not sure it's right though, if it's 12z run has it it may be onto something.

Lets hope so as this might be the last ride of the season. Sitting at 57 in Asheboro. Saw a worker walk in with shorts and a sweatshirt on. He has no clue of how hard the temps are gonna crash.

HRRR goes nuts with precip later today right down I-40, not sure it's right though, if it's 12z run has it it may be onto something.

Robbert seems to think NC will benefit from ULL enhancement that the short term models were starting to pick up on last night.

RAP continues to trend south. Upper low in OKC is powerful. Comma head hits most of NC Monday very hard...much harder than thought #ncwx

packfan98, on 03 Mar 2014 - 07:07 AM, said:

Robbert seems to think NC will benefit from ULL enhancement that the short term models were starting to pick up on last night.

RAP continues to trend south. Upper low in OKC is powerful. Comma head hits most of NC Monday very hard...much harder than thought #ncwx

Yeah, he commented that RDU could see an inch or more of sleet.

I think Robert said that late last night. If I'm not mistaken, hasn't the RAP mostly dropped that idea? TW

The RAP and HRRR have another band developing that would affect NC later today, whether that's correct or not not sure. They have it south of RDU right now.

Archived