• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The 3/3 30 degree temp change sleet/ice event for NC

mackerel_sky

I, for one, don't think the model trends are encouraging. Temps are trending warmer, and precip is delayed getting in and quicker to leave.

Yea I feel for you man I would say I would not have my hopes up too high anywhere south of the VA border too many question marks to get excited honestly. With rates and 850s crashing in my area I feel a little better but not completely gung ho. Trends were encouraging as both NAM and GFS at 12z had the 850 line well south of my area.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, for one, don't think the model trends are encouraging. Temps are trending warmer, and precip is delayed getting in and quicker to leave.

I don't know.

Ive got to disagree. Things look pretty good into the northern half of NC and down around RDU area personally. Temps are going to be warm till the surface front passes. Then the precip moves in and temps crash quickly. There may be a brief mix of rain and sleet. But should be a quick transition to snow for most of the northern half.

The best example I can say right now for this type of setup is 11-12-13. Not the amounts. But remember when it was near 60 and the sun was out. Then the surface front came through temps quickly crashed. The overcast quickly developed behind the front as temps were falling. The precip started falling as snow here but rain down south with temps near 60 3 hours prior. Then as temps cooled the rain quickly changed to snow.  Its a good probablity of how that plays out tomorrow.

UK is colder with it's 850's at 18z tomorrow, 0z had it at the border at 18z.  I think I-40 and points north see some frozen, just depends on how much precip falls after 18z tomorrow, I think the NC border counties can see 2" of snow/sleet.

ukmetSE_850_temp_030.gif

It's hard to tell how much of this is frozen, but that's a lot of precip and a flash freeze!  Pingermageddon!

Station ID: KGSO Lat:   36.09 Long:   79.94                                                        
 GFS Model Run: 12Z  2MAR 2014
  HR Valid     2m Tmp 2m Dpt 10m Dir 10m Spd TPrcp CPrcp 1000-500 500mb 850mb 500mb  MSLP  TCC PRS WX  Low      Middle     High     Max    Min  Sfc
                Deg F  Deg F   deg      kt    in.   in.     Thk    GPH   Tmp   Tmp    mb    %  TEXT   Clouds    Clouds    Clouds    Tmp    Tmp  Vis
  24 03/03 12Z   49     46     218       7    0.06  0.00    556    565    7.3 -14.6 1011.1  99 -RA   056FEW093 139BKN236 236OVC411   52     49  1.6
  30 03/03 18Z   23     20      38      19    0.61  0.00    546    560    2.2 -17.3 1017.1 100 PL    016BKN119 122OVC218 251OVC387   49     23  0.7
  36 03/04 00Z   21     19      45      14    0.03  0.00    539    558   -1.8 -21.2 1024.4 100 -SN   031BKN086 130FEW196 244FEW285   25     21  1.0

Going to be interesting to see how much the rain hurts accumulating snow up in DC, they are looking at roughly 1" QPF with roughly a 1/3 of it has rain, fairly heavy rain in the 40's and than the sleet/snow.  It will freeze like a block of ice for them whatever does accumulate though.

It's hard to tell how much of this is frozen, but that's a lot of precip and a flash freeze!  Pingermageddon!

RDU

prec.png

GSO - not sure why you have more rain and not sure how accurate these things are, but they are cool to look at.  One reason why it's showing so much rain is that includes all precip through 180 hours.

prec.png

The CRAS still looks good, too, Pack.  The 00z CRAS and 12 CRAS give us a fair amount of snow! :lol:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cras/cras45_NA/12/model_m.html

LOL, watch the Euro come in way north  :underthewx:

JB is still holding out hope the heaviest axes will be in central PA, refusing to change his forecast yet, that's just sad, or he is really good, will find out in about 15 mins with the Euro.

LOL, watch the Euro come in way north  :underthewx:

JB is still holding out hope the heaviest axes will be in central PA, refusing to change his forecast yet, that's just sad, or he is really good, will find out in about 15 mins with the Euro.

JB is often stubborn.  Maybe he'll be right... we'll see.

I prefer a blend of the JMA and CRAS models right now.  :weenie:

Got to love some of the Mid-Atlantic weenies making posts about how "radar looks south of where the NAM had it!", etc.  That forum is a trip sometimes.

JB is often stubborn.  Maybe he'll be right... we'll see.

I prefer a blend of the JMA and CRAS models right now.  :weenie:

Got to love some of the Mid-Atlantic weenies making posts about how "radar looks south of where the NAM had it!", etc.  That forum is a trip sometimes.

LOL, JMA/CRAS all the way.

Well the Euro ain't north, that's for sure, could be a lot of frustrated MA folks and happy ROA/RIC folks.

It's still not a bad run for DC.  GSO's 850s crash to 0C by hr 30.  That's quick.  Surface temperatures are in the mid-20s by then.

Nope, not bad for DC, because they have less rain, more snow with the precip they do get, the south trend is better for them, not for places north of there though.  Looks like ROA jackpots this run 10-12"

Crappy snow maps I have, not the WB ones, have 2-4" for central NC with 4-6" for northern border counties, close for GSO on the 4-6" range.  Just nuts.  Probably some/alot/all maybe sleet so 2-4" might be .75-1" of accumulating sleet.

SV snow maps have 2-3" for our area.  That might be on the high side but right now some ip w/ maybe an inch of sn for our area is a possibility.  I'll take it!

I've been in the mountains all weekend with no access to a computer, so thanks for the pbp, guys. Heading back home now, but from what I've been reading, it certainly seems like we've seen some good trends for Central NC to pick up some frozen (#brickbot).

Sounds like the Euro also likes the area for some snow for the late week thing...this run at least.

The RAP looks a little further south at the end of its run than the NAM.  It's also just not as wet for NOVA.  Yeah, I don't know why I'm looking at it, either.

The UK and RGEM have been consistent, they were good with the 2/11 event too. But really all models match up well now. Curious to see 18z RGEM.

Archived