12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The 3/3 30 degree temp change sleet/ice event for NC

mackerel_sky

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surface temperatures are insane.  We're almost all in the teens as the storm wraps up, per the Hi-Res NAM.  I'm interested if the RGEM will also tick south or if the NAM is on drugs.

Pack, I'm not sure why it's not showing up.  Is it showing up for others?  It's a WeatherBell map, but they don't seem to mind people posting maps every now and then (free advertisement).  It's showing up for me.

BIG FROSTY is getting snowed on from hr 42-45, it appears as raging sleet turns to snow.  This is a great run.  Looks like the whole of N NC might change over by the end.  Of course, I'm a bit skeptical of using the Hi-Res NAM in general.

Surface freezing line is down past the NC/SC border by hr 45... looks like a bit of icing down there.

It looks like Greensboro east along northern NC gets colder quicker than me here to the west. So I think Greensboro/Raleigh will probably have more frozen precip than me? Cold coming in from NE

superjames1992, on 01 Mar 2014 - 9:52 PM, said:

Surface temperatures are insane.  We're almost all in the teens as the storm wraps up, per the Hi-Res NAM.  I'm interested if the RGEM will also tick south or if the NAM is on drugs.

Pack, I'm not sure why it's not showing up.  Is it showing up for others?  It's a WeatherBell map, but they don't seem to mind people posting maps every now and then (free advertisement).  It's showing up for me.

Nope. Says access forbidden.

I see it fine, strange.

0.5-0.6".  I think it's all-frozen, but it's admittedly close at the start.  There looks to be an area of up to 0.9" just the north of Winston-Salem and Greensboro, though.  At the start, the maps show the 32F isotherm in southern Guilford County, for reference.  It has the look of a raging sleet storm (1-2" of accumulation maybe?) with maybe snow at the end.

EDIT: NCSNOW, if you take 850s verbatim and assume there's no sneaky warm nose, GSO gets 1-2" of pure snow or so with more to the north.  It's a different story down in Randolph County, though, as the 850 freezing line takes longer to get down there.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a warm nose, though.

Thanks neighbor. Just what I need to cap of the season a cold 20 mile screw job lol. Seriously wouldn't mind seeing a couple of rounds of excitement before day after day of Mosquitos and 70 degree dp's return.

I re-uploaded it on Photobucket, so it might work now.

I'm still unsure about whether to get excited about this storm or not. It seems promising, but I'm concerned about a last-minute north trend.

Got it now. That's sick! Cut it by 4 and it's still going to cause issues with the temperatures dropping into the teens. Folks might be caught off guard with this one.

I would say for sure at this timeframe we cannot discount the nam due to its superiority in regards to low level cold events as has been discussed previously in this forum. Its good to see the nam trend colder which is about right seeing as how the models usually underplay cold.

They've tossed sleet into our forecast for Monday night in the latest point forecast down here in Clayton, SE of Raleigh.

Rain and sleet likely before 9pm, then a chance of sleet between 9pm and 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Blustery, with a north wind 16 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

This is a post frontal system. Meaning the cold and precip is behind the actual SLP and front.

I think the sleet soundings from Nam tonight might be too warm. If it does what I'm thinking here... no precip in the warm sector. Then the surface front crashes through with temp drops from the Surface up to 925. Once the cloud deck comes in thicker and starts precipitating temps around 850 crash below freezing. Ultimately limiting the amount of rain,ice, sleet. Some of the snow amounts maybe pretty accurate with regards to amounts.

Once that band becomes established across VA tomorrow should be pretty much all snow entering into NC.

Looks like the surface low tracks just south of myrtle beach on the rgem. Hard to tell on the black and white maps. Don't know how that compares to other runs but it seems pretty far south. Looks more and more like there will be a couple hours of frozen precip. With extremely low temperatures on its heels. Fun times!

It looks roughly the same, keep forgetting it's still 36 hours before it gets to us, could swing either way.

I thought it would probably go north. Another theme before a big storm is just when you think the models are converging on an outcome, they split again.

We are splitting hairs, really but 25-50 miles is big for them and it's big for us.  All winter storms end up further N last 24-36 hours, for whatever reason.  I am out, we see the trend from the "good" models tonight (RGEM/GFS) to tick north, I would expect Euro/UK to do the same.  The GFS almost gets SNE back in the game, i bet they somehow get 4-6".

Yeah, the GFS is worse.  It's not a good run for ROA, either.  Eh, we'll see.

I don't know why the DC crowd wants this north, all this does is warm them to mix more, the south runs they are more snow.  Be funny if this ticks north another 50 miles tomorrow and they get a big sleet storm.

Archived