Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 3/3 30 degree temp change sleet/ice event for NC

mackerel_sky

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy stuff looks to be over for my area. Got around an inch of snow/ice. During the last hour had snow the size of half dollars. Really amazing to see large flakes like that with so low of temps. The roads are really bad; totally ice packed. I would definitely call this a win.  

**Current back yard temp at 20.7

It's tundra-like up here on the border.  Stunning turn of weather from the near 80F temperatures yesterday.  The DOT crews are fighting a losing battle.  

21F at Roxboro Airport 25 miles southwest of us.  18.3F on the VA/NC border.

Nice job with the thread Mackerel. Feel models did a very good job from 48-36 on in for my area. Hopefully they are zeroing in on Thursday now. Need a good paste bomb to end the season.

Thanks, it was a good little system! The frontal passage down here was amazing, and from NE to SW! That was the strongest frontal passage I have ever experienced, from any direction! And congrats to everyone who saw snow and sleet!

well i have to say this isnt the most interesting ob compared to those from nc, but when i got home about 5 today it was 51 and sunny.  i just my dog out and did a double take as the garage door went up.  its windy, froggy/heavy drizzle and 34.1 lol

if it was that dramatic here in a couple of hours i can only imagine what was happening up in nc today

Yep, turned out to be nice little treat of winter weather.

Agree, about as modeled, give or take.  Over performed in a couple of spots too with 2-3" snow in the triad.

I will say the NAM nailed temps, at least for MBY, I thought the RGEM got the precip the most correct. 

And the roads are a mess.

I didn't say they wouldn't. But some folks were making out like the roads wouldn't be treacherous from this.

I didn't say it was. But some folks were making it out like the roads would be treacherous from this.

Don't you get dizzy sometimes?

The upper low is still back in TN.  There should be more precipitation to develop this afternoon when this thing passes by.  Everyone, calm down a little.

None of the guidance gives central NC any significant precip with the UL. They all suggest that the mid levels will dry out this afternoon, effectively shutting off any significant precip. The band of precip slowly moving through NC is all there will be, I'm afraid.

Well, I guess we'll see which scenerio is right.

And, the verdict is...

I'm at work (Raleigh) but I should have waited coming in today. (For people in the Triangle area), I was coming down Six Forks Road and had to turn around at a hill near Falls Lake. Cars were trying to get to the top but were not making it. I turned around and then slid 30 feet onto NC98. Lukily nobody was in the oncoming lane. These are the worse roads(ice wise) I've seen in a long time. Funny, the roads here in Raleigh are fine. It looks like there was only a little bit of ice. 

27 here on the Coast,,, brrr!

With such a thin layer of Arctic air in
place the soundings usually provide much better temperature guidance than
the numerical MOS. That said some record low highs appear to be in
jeopardy today:

Wilmington 41 set in 1978, Lumberton 44 set in 1950, Florence 43 set
in 1978.

Archived