Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:clap:

Most of the snow guys are zombies, sick and tired of the never ending work.  Some of the seasonal contract companies are nearing closing the doors for good. Only a small few are doing morning site checks any more....  If this weather could only continue for a few more weeks, have a nice little diesel Trawler I'm eyeing up. :thumbsup:

Your market will likely change after this year.

sure but cold and minor/modest snow hits are lame at this point, big dog or torch

Trust me I am in the same boat as you, but the modest hits here inch DTW closer to the record, so it is an okay consolation prize. Surely beats cold and dry which we look to have for a while until this modest potential.

:clap:

Most of the snow guys are zombies, sick and tired of the never ending work.  Some of the seasonal contract companies are nearing closing the doors for good. Only a small few are doing morning site checks any more....  If this weather could only continue for a few more weeks, have a nice little diesel Trawler I'm eyeing up. :thumbsup:

At the home and garden show this week and been talking to a lot of the local landscapers.   No one seems happy with this winter, even the usual guys who do snow removal and complain that we don't get enough snow.   50" would normally be a banner year, but I think the persistent, unrelenting cold since November is taking it's toll.   Like you said the seasonal contract guys are ready to slit their wrists, while the other guys are just spent....low morale, etc.    I don't do landscaping but I do outdoor work that requires the ground not to be frozen, so it's starting to get a bit rough for me as well.    I think I've had one workable outdoor week since before xmas.  The last couple of years the ground only froze for a small amount of time, and not too deep.  One of the contractors was showing me a picture of where they had excavated for deck construction and you could see the frost line was 2 ' deep.     I have several incomplete jobs that have been sitting for over a month and when the rubberband does finally break, everyone will be expecting THEIR job to be the first one finished, not to mention all the new work that will come in from everybody breaking out of hibernation.    I may need to take up drinking.

At the home and garden show this week and been talking to a lot of the local landscapers.   No one seems happy with this winter, even the usual guys who do snow removal and complain that we don't get enough snow.   50" would normally be a banner year, but I think the persistent, unrelenting cold since November is taking it's toll.   Like you said the seasonal contract guys are ready to slit their wrists, while the other guys are just spent....low morale, etc.    I don't do landscaping but I do outdoor work that requires the ground not to be frozen, so it's starting to get a bit rough for me as well.    I think I've had one workable outdoor week since before xmas.  The last couple of years the ground only froze for a small amount of time, and not too deep.  One of the contractors was showing me a picture of where they had excavated for deck construction and you could see the frost line was 2 ' deep.     I have several incomplete jobs that have been sitting for over a month and when the rubberband does finally break, everyone will be expecting THEIR job to be the first one finished, not to mention all the new work that will come in from everybody breaking out of hibernation.    I may need to take up drinking.

I'm in the same boat but this is all non-sense and tell those dudes to wipe off the puppy dog look off their faces and maybe do some schooling in this dead season...take advantage! Construction workers complain/or show "low moral" when they are not working to much, working to much, not enough hours, not getting paid enough, blah blah blah. Smart construction workers usually prepare for work to be shut down in the winter months. The work is their just going to have to work more hours weekly this warm season. On the flip side 2011/12 was the opposite. Come August people ran out of work. I bet they  showed "low moral". 

I think you better stick with JB this year. It's going to break at some point, and he will be cold when it goes warm but he's stood stout and been right nearly always this year. Granted, when all you do is ride the cold train your going to have a good seasonal forecast when it's cold. Although , he does have some pretty skilled people surrounding him. Y

I'm not even sure how you guys read (or hear) Bastardi's info. His twitter feed is cluttered with anti global warming mumbo jumbo. So you must be reading something else.

I'm not even sure how you guys read (or hear) Bastardi's info. His twitter feed is cluttered with anti global warming mumbo jumbo. So you must be reading something else.

Pretty clear cut here:

"Just got a look at ECWMF weeklies. Cold next 21 days, moderation week 4,BUT now shows MJO running into phases 1,2,3..Gold for cold in march"

Will avoid the global warming topic so to keep the thread on topic.

Joe Bastardi finally starting to whistle a different tune.  

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi 

He's talking of an active April, suggesting that perhaps pattern will snap in March, noticing MJO gaining amplitude, overall suggesting change may be afoot.  I take that back, he's not suggesting, he's just finally starting to talk of something different than never ending cold and snow.  

Of course it will be, it's March, but still, hearing anything but persistent cold from him this year feels different.  

Probably acknowledging the under cutting of the Pacific ridge that LOT pointed out yesterday.

Looks to go into phase 7 deeply.

ensplume_small.gif

Which usually translates to this in March.

combined_image.png

Haha blast from the past! Differece is jx at least had some basic rudimentary met knowledge. Btw, whatever happened to him....er....her?

him..er.. her shows up on my forum once in a while. Never made it here to my knowledge?

They are similar in that you cannot get either one to break stride.

Archived