joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking the op runs verbatim, which obviously is not a great idea anyway, they're all showing a southern stream disturbance later in the work week. GGEM is more amped up and works snow up into northern IL with an inverted trough setup Thursday night into Friday. GFS/Euro keep everything squashed south with the Arctic high overhead. Then toward day 9/10, GFS and Euro still hinting at potential for a southwest flow type system. So there's some hope after the light clipper Monday night.

Given that all previous Arctic blasts this winter have produced at least some snow, I continue to think we're not going to go empty handed this time around.

Is this how ice ages begin?

ecmwfUS_850_temp_168.gif

Has anyone seen Canada so cold on March 1st?  

NAEFS is still cold through March 9th..    I'd say we can toss the first 10 days of March as garbage... 

12z EURO keeps that -30° air aloft from Minneapolis on northward. GFS drops it briefly into the U.P., but the majority of that air stays north of the border. 

By the 2nd it's way off to the east.

Taking the op runs verbatim, which obviously is not a great idea anyway, they're all showing a southern stream disturbance later in the work week. GGEM is more amped up and works snow up into northern IL with an inverted trough setup Thursday night into Friday. GFS/Euro keep everything squashed south with the Arctic high overhead. Then toward day 9/10, GFS and Euro still hinting at potential for a southwest flow type system. So there's some hope after the light clipper Monday night.

Given that all previous Arctic blasts this winter have produced at least some snow, I continue to think we're not going to go empty handed this time around.

I've been watching the GGEM and GFS operational vs their ensemble mean forecast.  As we approach the 8-10 day period, their ensemble means show a southeastern ridge that is stronger than the operational runs.  The operational GFS up to the 23/0z run has been to slow to break down the ridge giving us up here a good snowfall.   The GGEM operational has been to fast to break down the ridge thus taking the storm track well to the south of this subforum.  The 23/0z run of the GFS now shows a big hit over the IA area, and I think that is close to reality.  After all, when we have had a cold dome of air over us this winter the track has favored ORD, LAF etc.  I don't think it will be any different this time around.

Eventually the pattern will spend itself out. At least the white's are gone on that map above. 

Some models have been hinting at a change around March 6th or 7th. The increasing lower pressures in the Gulf of Alaska should have some effect on the pattern sooner or later. 

Eventually the pattern will spend itself out. At least the white's are gone on that map above. 

Some models run have been hinting at a change around March 6th or 7th.

The NAEFS seems to be shrinking the core of the cold some...  that covers the march 3rd to 10th time frame...so maybe its seeing some change late in that period... 

This winter can't end fast enough for the majority of folks including myself. But there is that side of me that wants to smash the all time seasonal snow record for Detroit. Hopefully things get active once again after this fast hitting arctic blast. 

:clap:

Most of the snow guys are zombies, sick and tired of the never ending work.  Some of the seasonal contract companies are nearing closing the doors for good. Only a small few are doing morning site checks any more....  If this weather could only continue for a few more weeks, have a nice little diesel Trawler I'm eyeing up. :thumbsup:

This winter can't end fast enough for the majority of folks including myself. But there is that side of me that wants to smash the all time seasonal snow record for Detroit. Hopefully things get active once again after this fast hitting arctic blast

I hope you mean coming in quicker than expected and not here and gone, because it's going to lock in for several days.

Archived