CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it hasn't been an outstanding winter everywhere but your area, my area, you just have to shake your head.  We are like 300% of our average annual seasonal snowfall right now.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought we'd be sitting here at 90.7" for the year. I mean I had an inkling of an active winter like 07-08 but I figured we'd have some severe weather and ice storms mixed in, instead it has been almost all snow storms except for one or 2 storms and one of them was 33 and rain.

I can't think of many places in the lower 48 outside of the mountains or the lake belts that can say they have hit triple digits for a yearly snowfall. Truly a rare feat if achieved.

Would be the first time in recorded history that 100+ fell from the lake all the way down i-94 to Detroit. Up to 108.5" here and thus 1.1 away from the seasonal record set in 2008-09.. Go 30miles west of here towards the lake and Bloomingdale i think is now approaching the 160" mark after whatever fell there this morning.

Geos probably had 150" that winter

:lmao:

Please make it stop. Heck, feels like spring now even on mornings where it's 10 degrees. Can't imagine what 62 and sunshine will feel like.

It will be time for the beach at 62°!  :lmao:

Snow has melted off the areas where my daffodils come up, so they could be popping up soon.

Looks like a mix of seasonable air and cold shots for the next 10 days on the EURO.

SSC is ready for spring, time to shut it down

Seriously, what are we doing at this point? Chance of a big dog, already low enough in the heart of winter, are basically non-existent at this point. Not chasing any records locally. Others have already broken theirs (LAF, TOL). Give DTW its 3" and let's get rested for 14-15.

Strictly number chasing for me.  I want 75" and then I'll want 80".  It's going to be difficult to get another winter like this around here anytime soon so might as well take advantage of the inflated totals and keep adding on.  If April snow is needed to put me over the top, so be it...but ideally we'd mix in a lot of warm days. 

Seriously, what are we doing at this point? Chance of a big dog, already low enough in the heart of winter, are basically non-existent at this point. Not chasing any records locally. Others have already broken theirs (LAF, TOL). Give DTW its 3" and let's get rested for 14-15.

April 1886 in Detroit, April 1975 in Flint, April 2005 near Cleveland...I wouldnt say non-existent. And for Toledo, I believe "smashed" is a better word than broken!

Strictly number chasing for me. I want 75" and then I'll want 80". It's going to be difficult to get another winter like this around here anytime soon so might as well take advantage of the inflated totals and keep adding on. If April snow is needed to put me over the top, so be it...but ideally we'd mix in a lot of warm days.

I'm 100% on board with this thinking.

But it is funny how it's all transpired. Never thought 60" was achievable...and then it happened. Never thought 70" was possible...and then it happened. 80" might be a stretch considering the time of year, but...

I'm 100% on board with this thinking.

But it is funny how it's all transpired. Never thought 60" was achievable...and then it happened. Never thought 70" was possible...and then it happened. 80" might be a stretch considering the time of year, but...

We're due for a good April snow.  ;)  Not that this is a good place for that but there are several 4-6" type storms in the record books in April.

That storm was a much bigger deal up your way but the longtime COOP here had 1.5".  I think it's the only May snowfall greater than 1" in the LAF area.

I can't imagine 12"+ on the ground in May.

My April 2005 15" storm had a peak depth of ~10" ... of course it was a prolonged 48 hour storm.  It too was pretty much gone 24 hours later!! B)

I cannot imagine how weird that must have been to witness. Probably even more weird/disturbing than those mid 80's we had in March 2012. Same goes for the May 31st, 1910 trace of snow.

I can't imagine 12"+ on the ground in May.

My April 2005 15" storm had a peak depth of ~10" ... of course it was a prolonged 48 hour storm.  It too was pretty much gone 24 hours later!! B)

April 23-24 was probably the latest legit snowstorm I've ever seen around here and a part of a really awesome winter in general (deep snowpack on Christmas morning, the 12-14" snowstorm on January 22nd, etc) was crazy to see places in northern Oakland county getting over a foot in the last week of April. April 6th, 2009 was another late one that dropped some big totals around me.

Archived