Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

That post wasn't intended to come across as "bittercasting."

But I did want to state for the record that it would be quite annoying as heck, considering Detroit's overall winter weather stats versus its big dog stats, if yet another one big dog misses in either direction.

If it's a 6-10" type of deal with both storms, eh, I can live with missing both of them.

Saved for bump trolling purposes next winter when he's begging for a 6" snow.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saved for bump trolling purposes next winter when he's begging for a 6" snow.

Be my guest. :lmao:

I'm mainly referring to this season (and getting a big dog). We've had plenty of those 6-10" snows this season, even if many of them came in not-so ideal ways. So missing these next two events if they're not big dogs would not be the end of the world in this season.

Be my guest. :lmao:

I'm mainly referring to this season (and getting a big dog). We've had plenty of those 6-10" snows this season, even if many of them came in not-so ideal ways. So missing these next two events if they're not big dogs would not be the end of the world in this season.

We have had 6 events over 6" here this winter (and 4 over 8" imby, 2 of which were over 10"). I certainly cannot even be mad if something misses us (and I doubt they will be massive 12"+ storms). But Id REALLY like to somehow, some way get 3" to break the 1880-81 record. We have had record snowpack this winter, so if it has to come down to a 3" slop storm in April that melts in 5 hours, so be it.

EURO/EURO ensembles show some modest potential with that D7 storm. If NAO can go negative I'd be more enthused but models are all over the place, with a tendency towards keeping it weakly +.

The 12z euro looks really interesting as well (6-8" for the GTA). Tough system to forecast as models are showing a very narrow band of +SN, which just happens to be right over the GTA this run. Small shifts one way or another will make big differences. Curious to see if the 12z run of the ensembles are onboard as well. There are hints of some EB -NAO blocking showing up on the euro OP, although not as much as you would like to see in late march.

The 12z euro looks really interesting as well (6-8" for the GTA). Tough system to forecast as models are showing a very narrow band of +SN, which just happens to be right over the GTA this run. Small shifts one way or another will make big differences. Curious to see if the 12z run of the ensembles are onboard as well. There are hints of some EB -NAO blocking showing up on the euro OP, although not as much as you would like to see in late march.

EURO ensembles generally supportive, although there's a bit of spread to the NW.

I got fly back to Toronto on Thursday, just for the weekend. Would be nice to cash in while I'm there.

The irony would be that, like all of us here, you love snow and tracking storms and yet it could potentially be that very thing that you love that prevents you from getting home that weekend. That would be awful.

Well, good news is that if it happens it looks like a Friday night-Sat morning event. GEM appears to be a decent moderate hit.

If its going to be cold like today it might as well snow too. Hate to lose the all time record over a few inches. The turn to spring has been made, it might take some time to revert to all the time warmth but the sun is doing its best to kill the winter blues.

Today I think has pushed me closer to the edge.  One more decent storm to get FNT and DTW to blow by these yearly records and then it is time to move on.  Regardless I will just enjoy whatever mama sends our way!!!  Can't doing anything to change it!!

I hate winter days without snow. Can't stand the cold. Snow is the only thing that makes it tolerable, but I really love snow which is kind of ironic. If it isn't going to snow I'd rather it was between 85 and 100 every day.

just glanced at the 0z euro/gfs...looking pretty grim

cold and dry, just doesn't get much worse

LONGER
RANGE OUTLOOKS SUGGEST A CONTINUATION OF BELOW OR MUCH BELOW AVERAGE
TEMPERATURES EVEN BEYOND THE DAY 7 PERIOD...WITH THE ECMWF FOR THE
PAST COUPLE RUNS SUGGESTING THE POTENTIAL FOR TEMPERATURE NOT
TERRIBLY FAR FROM RECORD COLD LEVELS.

Long as the snow cover stays away, I can tolerate the below normal temps for a few more weeks. It's when we get into April a little bit, is when it gets annoying.

GFS warms it up a bit come the 28th.

lol, this is BS. You can tolerate the cold but if a big storm shows up threatening to drop 8-12" you'll freak? No chance.

lol, this is BS. You can tolerate the cold but if a big storm shows up threatening to drop 8-12" you'll freak? No chance.

My point is that if there is snow hanging around it's just going to delay everything further. At least when it does flip to a favorable mild flow, you don't have to waste anytime dealing with fog, drizzle, and an inversion because the snow is trying to keep the temperature from rising. Temperatures can turn on a dime this time of year when a southerly and westerly flow takes hold - w/no snow cover.

Archived