Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

Well SPC did mention us briefly in their 4-8 day OTLK:

ADDITIONAL ROUNDS OF STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE  THROUGH THE WEEKEND ACROSS PARTS OF THE OHIO VALLEY AND CENTRAL  APPALACHIANS/MID-ATLANTIC. SEVERAL WEAK SHORTWAVE IMPULSES WILL  ROTATE AROUND THE UPPER RIDGE OVER THE CENTRAL U.S...HOWEVER  CONFIDENCE IS LOW IN ANY ORGANIZED THREAT AT THIS TIME.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting...

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC346 PM EDT THU AUG 21 2014ANZ538-MDZ005>007-010-011-014-212200-PATAPSCO RIVER INCLUDING BALTIMORE HARBOR-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-ANNE ARUNDEL-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WESTMINSTER...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS346 PM EDT THU AUG 21 2014AT 345 PM...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE TRACKINGAN AREA OF INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS OVER SOUTH-CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA.THESE THUNDERSTORMS WERE MOVING SOUTHEAST AND ARE EXPECTED TOIMPACT THE GREATER BALTIMORE METRO AREA BETWEEN 6 AND 8 PM. THESESTORMS MAY BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL...DAMAGINGWINDS...FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING AND VERY HEAVY RAIN. INADDITION...THERE IS A TORNADO THREAT.PEOPLE IN THE GREATER BALTIMORE METRO AREA SHOULD STAY TUNED FORLATER STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS THROUGH EARLY THIS EVENING.$$DH

• 2 weeks later...

Sure looks like a rotating wall cloud on the storm just W of Aldie right now.  From what I can see out my window.

EDIT:  broke apart as it passed.   Still the scariest looking (visually) storm I've seen since one last year that produced a brief TOR.  Some gusty winds but nothing severe level here.

I thought it would be boring for me, but then the best torrential rain of the season came in and the winds picked up a good bit. There wasn't any of those big deep rumbles, but there was plenty of lightning in the background. Go figure, might have been the best storm of the year.

I was surprised how light the winds were. I doubt I even got a 10mph puff. No biggie. Next couple weeks look pretty warm and humid. We may get more Sept storms than august. Not saying much because august sucked in the storm dept.

Archived