joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

decent nw flow supercell signal maybe tho i dunno if much will pop on saturday. 

Well it would prob be late Sat anyway... both GFS and NAM model soundings like the 5 to 11pm time period, which is nice since it should be after peak heating... and hopefully the EML is as good as forecast with ML Lapse Rates between 6.5 C/KM and 7.0 C/KM and nice bulk shear of ~40kts

Anyone expect a tornado this morning over southeast VA?  I sure didn't.  It had a nice front and the entrance region of an upper level jet streak going for it but the low level wind field was no great shakes. 

Def somewhat surprising tho it could have been pretty weak just hit a bad spot. Cell looked solid after... Haven't seen a good radar from the time it hit. Wonder if it rose a boundary or something.

You can view it on the 200 frame loop from Dupage.

AKQ currently has a survey team out there.  Per the preliminary report, there is evidence of tornadic and straight line winds.  I have no clue how they are going to classify this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like "tornado embedded within straight line winds".

AKQ currently has a survey team out there.  Per the preliminary report, there is evidence of tornadic and straight line winds.  I have no clue how they are going to classify this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like "tornado embedded within straight line winds".

Straight line wind damage could be RFD related.. not too unusual. 

never great to bet on the 0-3z timeframe, esp 3z.  sat has some potential for an isolated cell (supercell?) or two at least.. more than that subject to some wave we won't see for sure till day of prob. 

sunday has looked fairly impressive potential-wise off the sfc at least.. sfc winds are not too exciting so far and looks like a front will sink into the region.. where who knows.  tricky.. but higher end potential somewhere?

can only assume sat will be a pa/md border area thing and sun will be central and southern va at this time.. ;)

Out of town with only my phone... But it sounds from the SPC discussion like the expectation for us is that overturning from morning activity will substantially lower our chances. Sounds like focus is west of our area on Sunday and we might get leftovers from the night before. I'll wait for Ian to reassure me that I can get me some hatching. :lol:

You don't see shear like that too often around here.  Tho we don't really get into the good stuff till like 21z+ on the NAM. If early convection doesn't mess it up we could have a sizable threat locally. I'd be tempted to head west/south if someone wants to chase on Sunday. ;)

You don't see shear like that too often around here.  Tho we don't really get into the good stuff till like 21z+ on the NAM. If early convection doesn't mess it up we could have a sizable threat locally. I'd be tempted to head west if someone wants to chase on Sunday. ;)

I'd go, got to see if someone would cover my shift. 

You don't see shear like that too often around here.  Tho we don't really get into the good stuff till like 21z+ on the NAM. If early convection doesn't mess it up we could have a sizable threat locally. I'd be tempted to head west/south if someone wants to chase on Sunday. ;)

Wouldn't mind getting my first chase experience one of these days...

Archived