• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
02/18/14 Snow Event OBS, Countdown to further snowfall records.

WeatherFox

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that this is a fairly widespread issue. Earlier, I had noted that I heard that it was snowing moderately in the Bronx, even as the radar showed very little precipitation.

Very heavy snow here in Dobbs Ferry even though it's hardly showing on radar. We've received about 2" so far, bringing our seasonal total to 73".

Eh, seems to be breaking up now but that sure was a nice surprise.  I can see it still very dark off to my south so that band you're under NZ will probably fade soon like it did here.  

Don - apparently there was a good growth zone under the OKX beam.  It's still ~19* here and the flakes were quite large and fluffy but it's down to needles and pellets now. 

NYC's average annual snow to this point in the season is about 18". Not saying it won't happen, but it's not a lock by any stretch.

You are correct & Climo says 2 inches till end of feb and another 5 in March for total of 25, but as we all know this winter doesnt wan tto hear about climo ;)

Ended as 100 percent rain. Now the se snow eater has arrived. This should start the gradual decline. Currently around 12" of highly compacted cement

I have 23" OTG here. This is definitely high tide for OTG snow. Let's see how much that gets eaten away over the next five days.

For KNYC the late Feb and early March pattern I think will likely give them their second snowiest winter on record. The King (94/95) will still be hard to beat unless they get a Big One. 

2.2" total. Light rain falling now. I didn't expect more than an inch

We did fine 2" exactly here. This rain is just soaking into the glacier. It's going to take more then this week to melt it all in the shady drifts and piles. Though all lawn snow in the sun is toast. We actually stay cooler then the rest of the area this week with flow off mid 30s water. Though the high Dews will eat snow. Still this is not normal snow!

We did fine 2" exactly here. This rain is just soaking into the glacier. It's going to take more then this week to melt it all in the shady drifts and piles. Though all lawn snow in the sun is toast. We actually stay cooler then the rest of the area this week with flow off mid 30s water. Though the high Dews will eat snow. Still this is not normal snow!

Got 2.1" before changeover. The water will help us though the dews won't help. It's moderate rain here now and hopefully the snow pack can absorb this and freeze tonight to make it tougher.

You are correct & Climo says 2 inches till end of feb and another 5 in March for total of 25, but as we all know this winter doesnt wan tto hear about climo ;)

Very true. I'm rooting for you guys!

We've had nothing more than flurries up this way so far. Wasn't expecting more than an inch or two, but that might even be a stretch at this point!

William - How much on the ground there in Port Jeff.?  Centerport only had 13" as of 8AM this morning:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=HYD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

At least based on satellite analyses, there is a very sharp gradient in snow depth between the south and north shores:

post-88-0-81350900-1392735893_thumb.gif

(Taken from http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html)

3.5" of snow in Port Jeff as of 10 minutes ago...continues to snow pretty hard...

Holtsville (Central LI)  Moderate to Heavy snow bands have been moving through the area for the last hour or so.  I clear about 2.5" off my car before work.  There is around 3 to 3.5" out there right now.  33 degrees.  

Snow looks to taper in the next 40 minutes or so.  Maybe 4" is possible...

William - How much on the ground there in Port Jeff.?  Centerport only had 13" as of 8AM this morning:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=HYD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

At least based on satellite analyses, there is a very sharp gradient in snow depth between the south and north shores:

attachicon.gifLICT_snowdepth_021814.gif

(Taken from http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html)

Doesnt seem that accurate.  I'm a few miles NW of Hempstead and i have between 12 and 15" on the ground.

Archived