joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15" of snow on the ground as of this morning in State College as per NWS? If so, that's awesome. That likely beats any snow depth I saw when I was there. The most I saw on the ground at once was maybe 12-13" back in Feb 2007.

It's likely 19-20", we got about 4-5" more today. 

We're over 50" for the season too. I think 60" is quite doable. 

Pretty much what Wmsptwx said 1.4" of snow. No snow cleanup today. :)

Jamie kind of reminds me of the season 2002-2003 lots of little snows.

There are similarities, especially this month. Just like 2002-2003, February is a lot different than January. Three advisory criteria snows including today, two warning criteria. Many of those days with snow were storms that had snow fall on two days. 

Here's another set of insane State College statistics. 

Feb 1 is the only day we didn't record at least a trace of snow. Yes, 17 of 18 days with at least a trace, 17 consecutive days. 

Of those days, 10 had at least 1.3...

Crazy. 

Pretty impressive. When I lived in Cleveland we had 17 consecutive days with at least a trace of snow in January of 1999. I don't think we got more than about 12 inches worth in that time frame. It was somewhere between a dusting and two inches every day for 17 straight days.

I had about an 18" snow depth out in the yard when i measured early this afternoon, it may have shrunk a bit with the warmish afternoon but it's likely still in that ballpark. A couple days in the 40s and some rain isn't going to cut it with any major meltdown around these parts. It'll probably shrink in half but it's still got that freezing rain encased sleet layer about 3/4's of the way down in the snow. Maybe we'll see some gravel on our driveway by the time this warm up is over with, but probably not haha. 

Some other personal stats. In the last 5-6 days I've had snowfalls of 6.5" (Feb 13th), 4.0" (Feb 14/15), 1.0"(Feb 16), and today's 5.8". 49.2" was the season tally after the Feb 13th storm so the new season total as of today is right at 60" even.  

Going to be interesting to see if you can pass NYC/PHL this year. Both are in the high 50's so far this winter. March historically has been a snowy month in State College so it's quite possible.

I'm like Jamie, watching for a big storm to deliver that final knockout blow circa March 1994 haha. 

I had about an 18" snow depth out in the yard when i measured early this afternoon, it may have shrunk a bit with the warmish afternoon but it's likely still in that ballpark. A couple days in the 40s and some rain isn't going to cut it with any major meltdown around these parts. It'll probably shrink in half but it's still got that freezing rain encased sleet layer about 3/4's of the way down in the snow. Maybe we'll see some gravel on our driveway by the time this warm up is over with, but probably not haha. 

Some other personal stats. In the last 5-6 days I've had snowfalls of 6.5" (Feb 13th), 4.0" (Feb 14/15), 1.0"(Feb 16), and today's 5.8". 49.2" was the season tally after the Feb 13th storm so the new season total as of today is right at 60" even.  

I was right at 18" this morning as well.

post-803-0-12968600-1392769948_thumb.jpg

Right on Mag...I measured almost 18" here...also hit the layer of ice putting the yard stick in the ground.  Dont see this melting away to quickly....would be nice to regain next week what we will lose in this slight warm up in the next few days.  Still looking for that one big monster storm before everything is said and done

17.9...wasn't this always supposed to be rain that freezes on contact?

with temps aloft getting up to about 5+C we would need that current cold air locked in to get any good freeze... if temps warm overnight like models are indicating it will be tough to get much freezing just after sunrise with surface temps in upper 20s/low 30s with droplets passing through that thick of a warm layer aloft

I am at 30 and MDT is at 23

Archived