CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 Pt. VI

2001kx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly it didnt look much different than typical clipper or LES snow around here. Fluff to be sure - but nothing that stood out. Not sure their exact methods, but I would think it was under represented. I'm not sure if there are other reporting stations around here that have snow and water content as public info. It would be interesting to see if a site like KAGC had similar results

there are a couple cocorahs reports from southwestern pa with 2.0", 2.6", and 2.4" new snow with melted liquid reported as .04", .06", and .07" respectively... (50:1, 43:1. 34:1)

there are a couple cocorahs reports from southwestern pa with 2.0", 2.6", and 2.4" new snow with melted liquid reported as .04", .06", and .07" respectively... (50:1, 43:1. 34:1)

Interesting - thanks

I think that confirms that it was extremely dry and fluffy. However, at the same it probably shows that the NWS measurement probably under-captured the liquid content

Probably will see some redevelopment of precip behind the initial slug moving in but HRRR and RAP don't seem too impressed with much in the Sus Valley and focuses more on the NW part of the state but both still have 2-3 into the central counties. Will have to keep an eye on those trends. We're not in the best setup for prolonged precip with the low north of PA, and associated flow may hurt precip east of the mountains. Regardless, by the looks of the radar/cams and the obs in the western PA thread.. this initial slug is going to be a hard hitter and cover things up quickly. 

It's probably the easterly winds at the surface. The radar is hitting the snow higher up, but with the easterlies, it reaches the ground further west than shown.

Base velocities are pretty high above about 2500-3000ft on radar too, >40knots. 

I don't know if it got to you yet MAG but it's pretty awesome

Yup its here now, snowing quite hard. It def doesn't look like its going to put down very much though with how thin the line is and how rapidly it's moving. Amount won't matter with respect to impacts on the roads though, as it will ice them up quick. Not one to use the B word (Bust) early in the game but I'm not very impressed with the radar currently. There's some more precip arriving in Pittsburgh behind this initial burst so we'll see. 

Base velocities are pretty high above about 2500-3000ft on radar too, >40knots. 

Yup its here now, snowing quite hard. It def doesn't look like its going to put down very much though with how thin the line is and how rapidly it's moving. Amount won't matter with respect to impacts on the roads though, as it will ice them up quick. Not one to use the B word (Bust) early in the game but I'm not very impressed with the radar currently. There's some more precip arriving in Pittsburgh behind this initial burst so we'll see. 

Yeah looks like SW PA ready to get hit again very soon

Could it be graupel rather than sleet? There are some convective elements within the band, and convection during snow is sometimes associated with graupel.

I think you are right....I couldn't remember graupel so the first thing came to mind was sleet...Thanks for the correct term.

I can hear sleet pinging off the windows mixing in here with the snow.

Just stepped outside, it's definitely a "loud" snow here... I can hear it hitting the trees and etc. The flakes seem rimed a bit. It's piling up better than I thought it was going to though.. about 3/4 of an inch with a little bit left to go with this first burst.

Just stepped outside, it's definitely a "loud" snow here... I can hear it hitting the trees and etc. The flakes seem rimed a bit. It's piling up better than I thought it was going to though.. about 3/4 of an inch with a little bit left to go with this first burst.

Keep in mind that just as it started later than the radar indicated, it'll likely last 10-20 minutes after the echoes have passed you as well. So really you're only just past halfway done. You'll probably end up with 1.25" or so, I'm guessing.

Archived