joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

neither can I, its absolutely absurd. Ridiculous.

I'd go as far as to saying dangerous. They have to be assuming that this will be like the last few storms, but when at 6am it's 2"+ rates per hour I sure hope they reconsider. There's no way that students or teachers can make it in safely...

I'd go as far as to saying dangerous. They have to be assuming that this will be like the last few storms, but when at 6am it's 2"+ rates per hour I sure hope they reconsider. There's no way that students or teachers can make it in safely...

I think people in the suburbs assume it's the same way in the city re: snow removal, but it isn't. It's totally different; it really is incredibly competent, for the most part, especially in Manhattan.

Sidewalks in Manhattan -- and especially in the business districts -- are completely cleared very quickly. Even in the recent storms, through the heavy rates in the middle of the night, they are kept clear. This is not a suburb.

FYI, from a SE forum met:

I really feel for the guys in the upstate of SC... you guys got absolutely shafted from this event. Some thoughts since earlier today:

1) You guys literally got in the horrible spot between the strong WAA advection snows and the strong deformation snows are somehow occuring well NW of all of the model forecasts. The deformation band is in freaking E TN!!! Basically every model was too far east. This is once again another case of the inverted trough that was poorly forecasted from the models. Beware when there is a strong wedge!

pmsl.gif?1392262597016

2) Most of the places NE of I-85 switched over not necessarily because of the warm nose, but that there was no moisture in the snow growth region. The end result is that all the precip produced was in the lowest levels which only supported supercooled droplets. The end result is sleet and freezing rain in the cold 925 hPa temperatures. 

It looks like the big winners from these outcomes are the folks in TN and the folks that got the huge WAA induced snowfall earlier in the midlands and eastern NC. The losers are the upstate of SC and to a lesser extend the mountains of NC, which are just outside of the best deformation induced snowfall occurring west in TN.

I think people in the suburbs assume it's the same way in the city re: snow removal, but it isn't. It's totally different; it really is incredibly competent, for the most part, especially in Manhattan.

Sidewalks in Manhattan -- and especially in the business districts -- are completely cleared very quickly. Even in the recent storms, through the heavy rates in the middle of the night, they are kept clear. This is not a suburb.

The sidewalks are still pretty narrow even in midtown, where I live.  It's a pain in the *ss.

Understood re. Manhattan but in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island it is the same as on Long Island and other suburbs. That is where the issue really exists and where the danger will exist come the morning...

The sidewalks are still pretty narrow even in midtown, where I live.  It's a pain in the *ss.

I live on Battery Park and the sidewalks in front of my building have never had more than 1". They shovel and de-ice like crazy. While it is nice never having to deal with snow, it is odd coming outside after a major blizzard and there being barely any trace of the event for a couple dozen feet. 

FYI, from a SE forum met:

That center at 850 - is 10 hours away . We snow until then . Then we will dry slot too . Then we wait . That Deformation band will follow the center all the way N , but will head ENE  at 40 as the low heads to the BM . Just a dice roll as to where exactly

NYC is Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn also.

Not just 1 cement factory of Manhattan.

Archived