joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the RAP looks like it quite simple HAMMERS NENJ/NYC/LI with 2-3" per hour from 9am until noon with a total 18-hour total by the end of it's run at 0.80" qpf for most, all snow. Verbatim it would be 6-10" of snow. I think it changes over short after that

Its precipitation type is still showing snow even just south of Staten Island at hour 18 with heavy banding over the area. 

Means absolutely nothing at this range, just noting that. 

eastern Suffolk or where I am in SW Suffolk and what are you getting at?

The Twin Forks may not be snow for very long at all-most models, even the ones that have gotten colder have had them changing over early. I think where you are is fine and especially further west into Nassau County and NYC. It's after 10am that I think the warm air and dryslot finally win.

Lol message from Town of North Castle (where Armonk, NY is):

Good Evening,

The Town is preparing for our 15th snow event in this New Year.  We have already received over 58 inches of snow and continuous sub-freezing temperatures.  Starting early Thursday morning we expect another 6 to 15 inches over an 18 hour period continuing into Thursday night/early Friday morning, with a possible change to rain in the middle. The following is some basic information for your reference:
  • Road conditions will be very dangerous, so please use your best judgment. We ask that you please refrain from driving unless absolutely necessary.  Our Town employees have been working very hard to keep our roads cleared and our trucks on the road during this severe weather. Staying off the roads will help our crews to keep the roads clear and safe.
  • Our Police Department/Office of Emergency Management  issues frequent storm updates - please sign up on Nixle (www.nixle.com) and register your email, cell phone, or both, for free updates.  This is an excellent way to stay informed up- to-the-minute.
  • Administrative staff may be limited at Town Hall on Thursday, February 13th. In case of an emergency, please call the North Castle Police Department at  273-9500 or call 911.
  • In the event of a power outage, as always, please call Con Ed directly at 1 (800)752-6633.
Thank you in advance for your continued cooperation and patience.  We are 37 days from the first day of spring!

Surprised they have bee keeping snow accumulation records!

The Twin Forks may not be snow for very long at all-most models, even the ones that have gotten colder have had them changing over early. I think where you are is fine and especially further west into Nassau County and NYC. It's after 10am that I think the warm air and dryslot finally win.

okay got a little jittery. like you im banking on the front end to overperform and the CCB to not be as impressive as modeled

okay got a little jittery. like you im banking on the front end to overperform and the CCB to not be as impressive as modeled

If I was to guess at a number for us I'd say 8-9". If the Euro today is right with its colder trend, we may be closer to 12". Ratios might be high enough early in the storm to average overall at 10-1. Once the temp increases and the snow becomes wetter, we will likely go to like 9-1. 8-12" for NYC sounds good, 12"+ immediately west of the GWB. The Twin Forks I think come in with less than 6", maybe only a few inches. There, the rain might really wash away most of their snow from this. For us, we could have a nearly 18" snowpack that freezes into cement tomorrow night/Friday. Sounds awesome to me. And if the CCB actually materializes here, who knows, but I think even if it comes we have to fight off sleet/rain for too long for it to add very much, maybe it could drop 1-3".

Jm.....so you actually see near here around EWR getting over a foot? I'm thinking a bit more than half a foot, but 12" seems pretty high. Hopefully I'm wrong !!

It would be more of a SW/NE orientation, so EWR would get the same as Central Park, which could be like 10-11", but we'll see. West Milford seems like a good jackpot town, someone up there could see 18"+.

The RAP is still at the end of its range and can change around quite a bit-just keep that in mind.

I hope the colder trends on models today up here will end up verifying. The huge dynamics that come through between 7 and 10AM should also do a lot to hold back the warming. It doesn't appear that we will really warm anywhere except eastern Suffolk until the dryslot is already almost in.

The RAP is still at the end of its range and can change around quite a bit-just keep that in mind.

I hope the colder trends on models today up here will end up verifying. The huge dynamics that come through between 7 and 10AM should also do a lot to hold back the warming. It doesn't appear that we will really warm anywhere except eastern Suffolk until the dryslot is already almost in.

Yea we still need a few more hours until the RAP and HRRR get deadly but check out the lighting and wind signature

post-4195-0-75476000-1392255571_thumb.pn

post-4195-0-09948800-1392255580_thumb.pn

Archived