Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im officially now concerned of sleet with the 925mb map that was posted :axe:

I wouldn't be too concerned YET about sleet. None of the other models indicated any issues in terms of sleet. Also, we're just getting in to the edge of the HRRR's range. Give it a few hours and see what it looks like. Tonight's 0Z suite and now casting will be key. 

im officially now concerned of sleet with the 925mb map that was posted :axe:[/quot]

im worried as well with the hrrr map. Went to checkout the southern states thread with the actual obs and lots of people complaining about unforecasted sleet and freezing rain when it was supposed to b snow....we'll see how that plays out up here...

Ive seen the rain snow line in some tv forecasts go as north as the northern most tip of nj. The same types of forecasts have Monmouth county nj only receiving as little as 3-6 inches. Is this possible? I dont believe its going up to nearly 40 degrees tomorrow being on the west side of the low. Can anyone school me?

im worried as well with the hrrr map. Went to checkout the southern states thread with the actual obs and lots of people complaining about unforecasted sleet and freezing rain when it was supposed to b snow....we'll see how that plays out up here...

Yea nice catch I went down there myself a picked out a few quote...seem like there is deff more ice than was foretasted down there. This storm is very much a nowcast

switched to a mix with moderate IP now...hearing the pingers.....anyone have some ideas how long it might last in the btown GSO area until the warm nose gets pulled back?

ZR mixing in with the sleet now. Have to say, I did not expect this.

We had no mention in our forecast of 3+ hours of freezing rain that we have now had had since 3pm or so in northern pickens county. Snow all day with a little sleet possible mixed in was the forecast with around 8-10 inches of snow. Had about 2 inches of snow and snowing heavily around 2pm and then it started sleeting for about an hour. Moderate zr now and temps are slowly rising while everyone else's temps are dropping?? The WAA almost always develops in the far nw corner of sc and really hurts this area during most winter storms. Any idea if or when the warm air bubble will take up residence somewhere else?

Stay safe Goose.

That warm layer will probably change some people over to sleet earlier than they expect. My area could go from thumping snow to heavy sleet before we change to a little rain then shut off completely for a while (4,5,6 hours or more), while inland areas continue to snow . Then await whatever the CCB beings the area.

Stay safe Goose.

That warm layer will probably change some people over to sleet earlier than they expect. My area could go from thumping snow to heavy sleet before we change to a little rain then shut off completely for a while (4,5,6 hours or more), while inland areas continue to snow . Then await whatever the CCB beings the area.

Where are you located?

Here is a snippet from LWX.. :)

A COMPARISON OF 12Z/18Z RAOBS TO INITIALIZATION OF THE 12Z MODELS
AND THEIR 6-H FORECASTS INDICATE THE GFS/NAM WERE TOO FLAT WITH THE
LOW-LEVEL THERMAL TROUGH ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE APPALACHIANS AND
DOWNSTREAM THERMAL RIDGE TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST COAST. SATELLITE WATER
VAPOR LOOP INDICATED THE NRN STREAM SHORTWAVE TROUGH WAS ALREADY
CLOSING OVER ERN NE-KS...WHICH WAS EARLIER/FASTER THAN MOST OF THE
12Z GUIDANCE HAD INDICATED. THESE ERRORS PROVIDE EVIDENCE TOWARD A
MORE WESTWARD TRACK OF THE COASTAL LOW...CLOSER TO THE PAST FEW RUNS
OF THE ECMWF.

Here is a snippet from LWX.. :)

A COMPARISON OF 12Z/18Z RAOBS TO INITIALIZATION OF THE 12Z MODELS

AND THEIR 6-H FORECASTS INDICATE THE GFS/NAM WERE TOO FLAT WITH THE

LOW-LEVEL THERMAL TROUGH ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE APPALACHIANS AND

DOWNSTREAM THERMAL RIDGE TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST COAST. SATELLITE WATER

VAPOR LOOP INDICATED THE NRN STREAM SHORTWAVE TROUGH WAS ALREADY

CLOSING OVER ERN NE-KS...WHICH WAS EARLIER/FASTER THAN MOST OF THE

12Z GUIDANCE HAD INDICATED. THESE ERRORS PROVIDE EVIDENCE TOWARD A

MORE WESTWARD TRACK OF THE COASTAL LOW...CLOSER TO THE PAST FEW RUNS

OF THE ECMWF.

Thats good news for your area but not for the coast my friend.

Archived