• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 12-13 Storm, Part III: Trilogy ends and then Obs thread soon!

stormtracker

yoda, on 11 Feb 2014 - 8:14 PM, said:
I know this is in RNK's CWA... but read the accums wording... 1st time its been in thereVAZ011-018>020-022>024-034-035-045>047-059-WVZ042>045-121100-/O.CON.KRNK.WS.W.0004.140212T1800Z-140213T2300Z/GILES-CRAIG-ALLEGHANY VA-BATH-ROANOKE-BOTETOURT-ROCKBRIDGE-BEDFORD-AMHERST-CAMPBELL-APPOMATTOX-BUCKINGHAM-CHARLOTTE-MERCER-SUMMERS-MONROE-GREENBRIER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PEARISBURG...NEW CASTLE...CLIFTON FORGE...COVINGTON...HOT SPRINGS...ROANOKE...SALEM...FINCASTLE...LEXINGTON...BUENA VISTA...BEDFORD...AMHERST...LYNCHBURG...APPOMATTOX...KEYSVILLE...BLUEFIELD...HINTON...HIX...UNION...LEWISBURG...QUINWOOD...DUO...RAINELLE734 PM EST TUE FEB 11 2014...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM WEDNESDAY TO6 PM EST THURSDAY...* LOCATIONS...AREAS OF VIRGINIA AND SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA  NORTH OF HIGHWAY 460.* TIMING...EARLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING.* WINDS...NORTH 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 20S.* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW WILL FALL WEST OF THE  BLUE RIDGE...WITH 10 TO 14 INCHES ACROSS THE PIEDMONT. LOCALLY  HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE...WITH HEAVY SNOW BANDS POSSIBLY  PRODUCING SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 INCHES PER HOUR WITH ISOLATED  THUNDER...WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

Wow, thanks for posting this Yoda. I haven't seen that yet.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This ain't New England my friend. :P

I haven't had much time to look, but can you think of a situation we've sat under backside CCB with a change to rain? If we miss dryslot, concern would be teeter at 32-34 with lackluster accumulation rates, but even that concern would seem minimized if we're sitting with 6" on the ground. Unless we straddle 20 miles of the dryslot, in which case we have a classic case of sleet/drizzle. 

Once you're at peace with the changeover, then you want to root for a super wet solution. Even the 18z RGEM was an intense pre-mix dump.

I think most of us have been at peace and totally expect a changeover. The dream runs didn't sway me much in that dept.

I hope sleet vs rain. Dryslot is fine. So is a visit with a deform band even if it can't accumulate.

When the wall of precip is approaching on radar this time tomorrow night it will be a party in here regardless

I haven't had much time to look, but can you think of a situation we've sat under backside CCB with a change to rain? If we miss dryslot, concern would be teeter at 32-34 with lackluster accumulation rates, but even that concern would seem minimized if we're sitting with 6" on the ground. Unless we straddle 20 miles of the dryslot, in which case we have a classic case of sleet/drizzle. 

give me the dry slot vs. rain/sleet melting the fresh snow and keep my fingers crossed for some back side action

it seems so. but there's a long way to go still and things could change. me too. it's intriguing because the totals so far are just for Wednesday night...

The text forecast from 6:30 for Berkeley Co. said snow would mainly be in the morning on Thursday. The new point and click dropped that wording, and just calls for snow, heavy at times for Thursday.

I'm on my phone so hard to look at a lot. Doesn't really look like SREF is showing anything the other models aren't for the thump part at least. I never get too worked up about what it shows since it tends to bust horribly around here. I figured the expansion west was because it's warmer.. Still haven't looked much tho. Looks like .5"+ by 12z at least. Backend can perform it's just a tricky proposition here quite often.

I'm on my phone so hard to look at a lot. Doesn't really look like SREF is showing anything the other models aren't for the thump part at least. I never get too worked up about what it shows since it tends to bust horribly around here. I figured the expansion west was because it's warmer.. Still haven't looked much tho. Looks like .5"+ by 12z at least. Backend can perform it's just a tricky proposition here quite often.

Bit warmer at 850 (SREF brings DC to ~0-1C) but otherwise pretty much a rip of the 18z NAM--dryslot stays east of DC and CCB goes to town I-95 west. Probably looking at ~1.25" precip. 

Archived