Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

Guest Harv311

Biggest flakes of the day, looking to go out with a boom!

Edit:  Those were some beauties, silver dollar sized!

ITs just rotating on top of INT 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

absolutely amazing snow totals today in Concord. It has been hard to get an accurate measurement but we had heavy snow for several hours. I measured 5" sitting on top of the street and on the hood of my car just from today's snow. I know that isn't a good accurate way of doing it but just shows how crazy it came down for a while. Still getting light to moderate snow. Temp 32.

The trees have a solid 3" sitting on the limbs, thank God there is no wind cause we would have major power issues if it was windy at all.

Still SN+ here in CLT with big flakes. I'll bet I luck out at the end of this with an additional inch. 

Yeah I think after this last "band" rotating in that should do it.  Once the column dries up, it'll be a rainy drizzle to sunny skies .  10" looking definite... maybe hit that one foot threshold if this last band crushes us.

Well, the reasons we get screwed is no secret. There’s about half a dozen things working against us. Here are some:

1.  We are the LAST place to get Cold air advectioin from the northwest, due to the mountains. This is how we can stay rain until the precip is over, but it will switch to snow  in time for places like Charlotte.

2.  The mountains of course rob any moisture coming from the west or northwest, but a lot of time this precip will redevelop in time to hit points from Spartanburg east.

3.  There’s no doubt that our boundary layer temps are almost always a degree or two warmer than surrounding areas in winter storms due to the downslope warming from the mountains and somehow it seems warm air at the surface settles over the savannah river valley. This can have a huge impact in marginal events... see Tuesday for example.

When you add those up there is almost always at least one of them working against us in any given winter storm, thus, we almost always have lesser totals than virtually every location around us.

All of these, plus, in CAD situations we are the first to get precipitation in the upstate but the last cool down, and down slope warms us further. East of GSP is already cold by time precitation arrives and they have more amount of their precipitation in frozen form. For us to get a good snow it has to be already cold before precipitation like with Jan 88 and even Jan 2011, and the precipitation has to come from just the right angle so mtns don't dry slot us.

Archived