• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

It depends on where you are. In central NC, we got a lot more snow than expected.

For better or worse, metro ATL was the regional focus because of 2 weeks ago.  Everyone assumes that people in NC have some clue how to deal with winter weather (and the DOT tools to do something about it).

If Central and NGa precip had not underperformed somewhat, yes, it would have been a huge disaster here.  But we definitely have underperformed on precip.  FFC reduced the precip remaining again a couple of hours ago.  It's just not that bad.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For better or worse, metro ATL was the regional focus because of 2 weeks ago.  Everyone assumes that people in NC have some clue how to deal with winter weather (and the DOT tools to do something about it).

If Central and NGa precip had not underperformed somewhat, yes, it would have been a huge disaster here.  But we definitely have underperformed on precip.  FFC reduced the precip remaining again a couple of hours ago.  It's just not that bad.

I also assumed that we weren't idiots, but then I was out going to the store just 30 minutes after the snow started and saw that, in fact, we are also retarded.

Concerned about that myself.  Right now totals are nowhere anywhere near what was being forecast by every met with a soapbox in ATL.  On the one hand, I am so happy about that because the amounts of frozen rain that were being suggested would have just destroyed tens of thousands of trees and property and probably hurt some people.

On the other hand, I worry that next time, nobody will listen.

Then again, it's clear that neither Charlotte nor Raleigh listened.  And now they are the butt of jokes on this evening's ATL local news, complete with traffic cam photos of the disaster traffic in both cities.  Heh.

So even though ATL didn't get what they said we would, the fact that we avoided another 24 hour traffic jam means people will probably call this a success and move on with life.

Charlotte just had one bad traffic area for the most part and it was cleared within 2 hours because ramps where shutdown and access limited to that section of road.  Other than that things were typical of a winter storm here traffic wise on the roads.  Slow going, some accidents, bridges to 485 shutdown, nothing too major.  Plows are out and about clearing interstates in packs and hitting major artieries and secondary roads throughout the region. You act like those in CLT made fun of ATL and that's just not true at all, none of us wanted ATL to go through what they did or made fun of them for it.  Raleigh is a different story all together and I have no clue on it's severity.

Charlotte just had one bad traffic area for the most part and it was cleared within 2 hours because ramps where shutdown and access limited to that section of road.  Other than that things were typical of a winter storm here traffic wise on the roads.  Slow going, some accidents, bridges to 485 shutdown, nothing too major.  Plows are out and about clearing interstates in packs and hitting major artieries and secondary roads throughout the region. You act like those in CLT made fun of ATL and that's just not true at all, none of us wanted ATL to go through what they did or made fun of them for it.  Raleigh is a different story all together and I have no clue on it's severity.

I have no personal opinion about Charlotte or its residents.  What I conveyed, was that sadly, the Charlotte and Raleigh communities were on the evening news here.  Very specifically being joked about by the anchor for not being prepared and having so many residents out at work when a storm hit mid-day.  (And I have no idea whether it was a justified remark or not either, because I don't live there or know what your local mets told you, what warnings you were under, etc. and so on.)

I have no personal opinion about Charlotte or its residents.  What I conveyed, was that sadly, the Charlotte and Raleigh communities were on the evening news here.  Very specifically being joked about by the anchor for not being prepared and having so many residents out at work when a storm hit mid-day.  (And I have no idea whether it was a justified remark or not either, because I don't live there or know what your local mets told you, what warnings you w ere under, etc. and so on.)

Ok I just interpretted your post(s) wrong concerning that.  Honestly I think some people thought they could get half a day of work in and when they left at lunch it coincided with when the heavier stuff hit the area.  For the most part it's been a typical winter storm in my eyes concerning people's reaction to it and how the highways played out.  Roads were treated days in advance, plows were ready to go and are busy working.  One problem spot does not equate to a failed response to alert the people or citizens not taking it serious as an anchor down there seems to be joking about.  I can probably guess which one after watching the coverage down there the other week.   Surprisingly they did for the most part this time around. Mets were all over this, Raleigh is the bigger surprise area not here.

WRAL reported the bus that was suppose to pick them up couldn't get to them.

Suuuuuure. When Dook announced they were leaving at 6pm I knew the yhad no intentions of playing this game. They wanted no part of a packed Dean Dome full of 90% students.

well this storm has been full of surprises. now that the radar is back building and moving into my area we are solidly in freezing rain and .10 already lol.  whats next :popcorn:

How about some fzrn and thunder lol.  We havent changed to fzrn yet, but its only a matter of time.  Reports are already coming in of places changing over near by.  Really hope we don't get fzrn from the deformation band.  Would like to keep my power tonight.

One met on a local channel says snow and sleet heavy , through the night. Another channel saying 1-2 inches of ice, the sleet and snow met still sticking with 5-10, and that's not gonna happen. Sleet and freezing rain will dominate tonight! I don't see anything to get this precip back to snow! Gonna call this a bust! Got 4 inches yesterday with temps in the mid 30s and had an inch forecasted ! Today mid 20s and about 2 inches of snow, then sleet for 12 hrs, forecast 5-10! Guess they cancel each other out??! 26 degrees currently

Ugh, the HRRR's warm nose is piping hot.  Tell me it's biased towards overamplifying things..    :weenie:

Don't think so, it had it here earlier and sure enough, been sleeting since 4ish I think is when it went predominately to sleet.  Flakes try to mix in here and there.  BUT, CLT area has been in a lull since then about and the flakes seem to correspond to the heavier returns  Hope you get banded by a nice 20 dbz band though!

Ugh, the HRRR's warm nose is piping hot.  Tell me it's biased towards overamplifying things.  :weenie:

EDIT: Well, it drops about 6" more snow before the changeover to sleet, so maybe that would be okay. :lol:

It"s been sleeting here for the past hour.  Part of it is due to light returns, but your hours (or minutes) are numbered I'm afraid.  Got around 5" here.

Don't think so, it had it here earlier and sure enough, been sleeting since 4ish I think is when it went predominately to sleet.  Flakes try to mix in here and there.  BUT, CLT area has been in a lull since then about and the flakes seem to correspond to the heavier returns  Hope you get banded by a nice 20 dbz band though!

Yeah, I think we're done here.  Don't think anymore is really going to accumulate here honestly in W CLT.  Got maybe 3.5 inches.  Looking at the radar I'd be surprised if we get much more. 

It"s been sleeting here for the past hour.  Part of it is due to light returns, but your hours (or minutes) are numbered I'm afraid.  Got around 5" here.

The Euro had the sleet line making it into Randolph County and then pivoting for another six hours before finally getting back above freezing.  The HRRR seems to indicate the same, so maybe there's still hope here.  It could be one of those deals where 10 miles makes all the difference.  We shall see.  I'll probably be on the wrong side of that 10-mile window, though...

IF the Euro is right (and the HRRR looks fairly similar with this), 850s crash around daybreak and we start hammering with the deformation deathband.  Hold out hope!

Beautiful, powdery snow continues to fall here.

Based on that map the Triangle is not in the dry slot.

LOL, I know wishful thinking.  The HRRR has the dry slot right to the east Wake County line.  It has 0.7"-1" of QPF across Wake County.  The RAP is 1-1.25" of QPF across Wake County.  If it shift 25-50 miles we would be out of the woods on frzn.

Guest Harv311

James i live in InT and you live in gso where do we want this low to set up for the most snow.

it's bad enough we busted on the sleet vs snow....but the total liquid precipitation so far at GSP after 10 hrs (starting at 8 this morning) is a whopping 0.25 inches....even if this had been ALL snow, we are only talking about 2.5 inches with typical ratios.  With a storm system like this, how can ALL of the model be that far off.  Crazy.  Will be interesting to see what happens tonight and see what the storm total is.  But I am pretty sure we will be well below half what anyone was predicting.

Yeah, I think we're done here.  Don't think anymore is really going to accumulate here honestly in W CLT.  Got maybe 3.5 inches.  Looking at the radar I'd be surprised if we get much more.

I think you are gonna be surprised then, those heavier returns are looking primed to pivot through sometim tonight.  Could be wrong but I don't think we bust THAT bad.  We definitely got screwed on the flake size from 10-1 however, burger and points South and East of him lucked into starting out with bigger flakes and that helped them tremendously.  Whenever this side of town did have better dendrite growth, it piled up in no time but then the sleet started mixing and hitting 1.5 to 2 hours later. 

Archived