Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, God, the 12z Euro was epic here. 2.3" QPF with a brief changeover to sleet for a period. Hammered by the deformation band. Wow.

Oh, God, the 12z Euro was epic here. 2.3" QPF with a brief changeover to sleet for a period. Hammered by the deformation band. Wow.

Whats the QPF back in the Northern Foothills region ? Thanks

Interested snippets from RAH...

TONIGHT: DEEPER INTO THE COLD AIR...THE P-TYPE CHANGEOVER WILL BE
SLOWER TO OCCUR...BUT WE EXPECT A MIX OF PTYPES IN THE VICINITY OF
THE US 1 CORRIDOR BY 8-10PM. HOWEVER...IT IS DURING THIS PERIOD
PRIOR TO MIDNIGHT THAT WE MAY SEE SOME HEAVY PRECIP BANDING
NORTHWEST OF THE SURFACE LOW AND IN THE VICINITY OF STRONG FGEN
AROUND 850MB. FORECAST SOUNDINGS AT KRDU SHOW A DEEP ISOTHERMAL
LAYER...SUGGESTING PRECIP RATES MAY BE ABLE TO DRIVE PTYPE BACK TO
SNOW AT TIMES BEFORE CHANGING OVER THE FREEZING RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT

5PM. INTERESTINGLY...CONVECTION HAS RACED ACROSS THE FL PANHANDLE...
AHEAD OF GUIDANCE TIMING THIS MORNING...AND MANY PAST CASES OF THAT
OCCURRENCE HAS RESULTED IN REDUCED PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS DOWNSTREAM.
NOT SEEING ANY EVIDENCE OF THAT AT THIS TIME...SO WILL CONTINUE TO
MONITOR OBSERVATIONAL AND NWP DATA TRENDS THROUGH THE EARLY

Whats the QPF back in the Northern Foothills region ? Thanks

You guys mostly miss the deformation band (though you all still get in on it a little), but still make out well with all-snow and around 1.5" QPF.  The deformation band basically pivots over GSO and points north and south for the entire day tomorrow, not letting up until the evening.  If I didn't know any better, I must have went in and hacked into the Euro servers because GSO is basically the jackpot (even with the changeover to sleet).  Easily 12"+, maybe more like 18".

Dude you so suck!   :snowing:

Did you look at the 6 hour precip output?  It has you 12" through tonight and another 12" tomorrow afternoon (assuming it's all snow).  It was 30 hours of heavy precip, should be 80-90% snow!

You guys mostly miss the deformation band (though you all still get in on it a little), but still make out well with all-snow and around 1.5" QPF.  The deformation band basically pivots over GSO and points north and south for the entire day tomorrow, not letting up until the evening.  If I didn't know any better, I must have went in and hacked into the Euro servers because GSO is basically the jackpot (even with the changeover to sleet).  Easily 12"+, maybe more like 18".

You literally have been in the bulls eye for several days now, usually that never works out!  That's awesome, I have 2 sisters and brother in INT/GSO, they are freaking out about getting 12-18" of snow (they don't like it).

I'll take my 12 -15 inches and be happy! Something we have going for us tonight is the Orographic lift. Plus the closed upper low should do some damage as well.

Yeah, I'm starting to think we have a legit chance at getting 12"+.  That hasn't happened in at least 30 years at the airport.  This would be amazing if it works out.  They say you have to dance with the sleet to get the jackpot and we're playing that game.  The Euro has been amazingly consistent with the depiction of the snow/sleet line for days now, usually either only getting us to 0C or to 1C and changing us over to sleet for a few hours.  Either way, it's a bigger snowstorm than has been seen here in decades.

I haven't even looked but euro been basically showing the same thing here so I must say Im excited.

Wow you guys in Raleigh didn't learn from the Atlanta situation. SMDH.

Except that Wake County cancelled school for today. If they'd gone with an early release instead, there would be dozens of full school buses, and parents with kids in their cars, stuck out there right now.

So that's something. 

Folks in the Storm thread thinking an inland track. Boo.

Who, everyone that lives in the mtns?  I think it's inland too, if inland means over HAT, but if inland means over Jacksonville, ain't happening.  One reason I have hardly posted in the storm thread, if you disagree with the Euro it's treated like blasphemy.  The Euro actually ticked east a little and the deform band was east too, should be interesting to see how this turns out.  I think we will get 3-4" with some ice, nice storm for us, if we stay all frozen this will be one of my favorite storms in quite a long time (although this is the first storm in quite a long time :-)

Latest HRRR is 6F off (to warm) at 2-3pm today for RDU.  Currently it's 23F in Raleigh and HRRR has us at 29-30F from 2pm on, we ain't rising unless we get frzn.  Hopefully we can stay below 30F.  The HRRR does get RDU to 33-34F tonight around 10pm, hopefully it busts by 3-4F tonight.

Guest Harv311

Im a high school student who has loved weather and forecasting for a long time. I have learned so much reading each post the past 10 or so days. So I now wanted to give back and bought a subscription. Thanks so much. Especially James, lookout,Jordan,wow. 

That deform band is looking sweet. 

Ugh. About 75/25% pingers/snow now. It was a good run, tho. Got about 3 inches on the ground here (after about half an inch left over from yesterday).

Veronica, what part of Wilson Co.? are you in?  I'm right here off 95 and we have a lot more than 3 inches.

Archived