• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

Even when CLT is in the bullseye it just doesn't seem to work. Either way I got five inches and looks like a lot more frozen is going to be on top of it. Went out for a fun sled ride. This has been a great winter with a good payoff in Feb. If I luck out under a deform band even better but congrats to those who will get hammered. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One met on a local channel says snow and sleet heavy , through the night. Another channel saying 1-2 inches of ice, the sleet and snow met still sticking with 5-10, and that's not gonna happen. Sleet and freezing rain will dominate tonight! I don't see anything to get this precip back to snow! Gonna call this a bust! Got 4 inches yesterday with temps in the mid 30s and had an inch forecasted ! Today mid 20s and about 2 inches of snow, then sleet for 12 hrs, forecast 5-10! Guess they cancel each other out??! 26 degrees currently

lol i know, pretty much like mby.  the sleet didnt surprise me all that much.  however, not going back to snow did.  and going to freezing rain really confused me.  27 and icing big time here. yall still have snow on the trees from yesterday? we do

at this point who knows what will happen. i am pretty sure what WONT happen.  6-10" of snow :whistle:

James i live in InT and you live in gso where do we want this low to set up for the most snow.

I think it really depends on the 850 low at this point.  We need to keep that sucker further southeast than most models have it going if we want to stay all-snow.  The NW side of that that stays all-snow will be slammed.  Well, we'll probably be slammed either way, but that slammage may be in the form of sleet if we're not careful...

This is a time where I'm very glad I'm in western Guilford County!

Even when CLT is in the bullseye it just doesn't seem to work. Either way I got five inches and looks like a lot more frozen is going to be on top of it. Went out for a fun sled ride. This has been a great winter with a good payoff in Feb. If I luck out under a deform band even better but congrats to those who will get hammered. 

Yeah, even Raleigh seemed to do better than me and they were supposed to get very little! More power to them, congrats.  Even SE Charlotte got more even though that's where all the mixing was supposed to be.  Just the way it goes. 

Hopefully the DFB hits us tomorrow. 

Not sure how completely accurate it is but if you do a loop of the 850 meso  on SPC

From 4 hours ago till now the warm nose is creeping into NE NC but at the same time dropping back S/W over GA/SC. My area and SJ's(triad area) may change to pingers but not for long.

Yeah, this area has always seemingly been the pivot point at the 850 mb level.  The 0C isotherm was originally more north-south oriented, but as the 850 low nears and the surface low starts cranking well to our SE, the 0C isotherm starts pivoting into more of a SW to NE orientation and then finally to pretty much due North-South.  It will be interesting and I definitely expect to changeover at some point, but hopefully it won't be for too long.

Then again, I should learn that warm noses always come in warmer than the models indicate... :( (I'm not sure if that's actually true, but boy does it seem like it sometimes!)

Yeah, this area has always seemingly been the pivot point at the 850 mb level.  The 0C isotherm was originally more north-south oriented, but as the 850 low nears and the surface low starts cranking well to our SE, the 0C isotherm starts pivoting into more of a SW to NE orientation and then finally to pretty much due North-South.  It will be interesting and I definitely expect to changeover at some point, but hopefully it won't be for too long.

Then again, I should learn that warm noses always come in warmer than the models indicate... :( (I'm not sure if that's actually true, but boy does it seem like it sometimes!)

Agree... FWIW the nam over the last couple days been showing a thick layer around here of 0 to -1 with 1 being the warmest. So far I haven't seen any pingers even though radar is suggestive knock on wood. If it does hopefully it won't be long.  It seems per spc that cold air is coming back in aloft and pushing in so we may not have to deal with it. FWIW no matter how good or how bad others have said.... gfs/nam has keep us all snow.

How much should I worry about freezing rain in Chapel Hill?

Not much. Eventually it should change back over and stop further east.  

Frz threat around the RDU area might be minimal

Guest Harv311

Pingers have become the primary P-type.  :axe:   This is not unexpected, but it seems a bit early.  Maybe some heavy rates can save the day?

Might be time to go all-in for the deformation band tomorrow.

Sleet in w-s :axe:

its changing back? starting too

when you posted this 53 mins ago, it was IP.. Still IP.

A heavy band came through around 4:15-5 and it was 80% heavy snow..

What if... Man, it would have been awesome. Fighting the warm nose now and hoping to cash in tonight with a all snow topper for what I have out in MBY now..

any obs from rutherford area?

Archived