• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

Man, ncweather is going all in with an offshore track. He has my full support for that plan. :)

Damn skippy. 

The wedge is too strong for it to hung the coast. Greatest temp, pressure gradient is offshore along the trough axis... or the baroclonic zone. Wait till it hits the GS... may go boom boom boom like a hundred pounds of TNT.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn skippy.

The wedge is too strong for it to hung the coast. Greatest temp, pressure gradient is offshore along the trough axis... or the baroclonic zone. Wait till it hits the GS... may go boom boom boom like a hundred pounds of TNT.

Let's say that were to happen. What effects would it have for the Triangle? More ZR or more SN/IP?

Yeah, but if it were to follow the gulf stream, that might matter, right?

Btw, one inch on the ground already. :) It's coming.

I still like it right over HAT or just inside.  The Euro is just sick for GSO, has the deform band right over them, 2.5" of QPF, that would be 25" of snow, temps are a little warm though, so it's probably more like 15" with a whole lot of ice, but if temps are modeled to warm watch out, it has them with 12" today and 12" tomorrow, can that even happen???  Has 1.7" of QPF for us, but it does warm us but we do have some backend snow.  If it's off by 1-2F then it could be crazy bad here.

Thanks guys. I'm just hoping not to pick up a bunch of ice. And it's always awesome to catch some deform band action.

RAH say pingers hit us between 4-5pm, but has us snow/sleet until 11pm, which would be very nice, can't imagine 10 more hours of this, the rates "should" be better around 4-5pm too.  Hopefully we can get to 2-3" before it flips to pingers.

Mets.

What's Equivalent Potential Vorticity?

It was mentioned in the GSP AFD this afternoon.

Thanks.

The EPV is basically the PV (potential vorticity; spinning of the air; induces cyclogenesis) but if adibatically brought to 1000mb. It's a good measure to determine how stable/unstable the atmosphere is in a particular location, especially at the mesoscale. The less stability the easier an air parcel can ascend.

Ugh for the Raleigh traffic nightmare- really glad my parents went to get my Gma from Raleigh early this morning. They couldn't handle being stuck in something like that. 

Just huge flakes falling here now...I know it won't last but it's gorgeous. If these rates kept up and it stayed snow, we'd get buried and quick. 

Blueheels- my husband is making the same trek. Took him about 30 to get to leesville from brier creek. It may just be very slow going. I think 540 has fewer issues than roads like Durant. Cars parked along there, from what I hear. If she has 4wd, she might make it.

Of course she didn't take the 4wd today.  She says 540 is moving about 15 mph.

Right now the sleet line is running down I-95 so hopefully we hold out until 4pm or so, and then hopefully we mix sleet/snow, otherwise it could get ugly with sleet accumulations.

We gotta keep the power grid on. That goes and we got real problems of the tragic kind

Archived