• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Sun-Mon Feb 9-10 Inverted Storm Potential

cja1987

You speak the truth. I'm actually working on a project up here to figure out what (of all available guidance) performs the best in the first 36 hours of the forecast. RGEM is consistently at the top of the list for Max/Min T and hourly temps. We find it to be really good with sky cover too.

The RGEM is my favorite short-term model as well, it absolutely NAILED the Monday event here in Philly in terms of the rain/snow line. Kind of interesting how the RGEM can be so good in the short term, but the Canadian kind of stinks in the LR....You mets might be able to explain that one. 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You speak the truth. I'm actually working on a project up here to figure out what (of all available guidance) performs the best in the first 36 hours of the forecast. RGEM is consistently at the top of the list for Max/Min T and hourly temps. We find it to be really good with sky cover too.

I have been hawking the RGEM more since it nailed the thermal profiles on your NNE ice events when all other models were warm.

Not sure yet...I've always thought it worth keeping half an eye on for a couple inches...but didn't expect it to come back to solid advisory level this close in...but we've seen far stranger than this.

Its really only GFS and RGEM to a slightly lesser extent. Ukie is better than before, but still more like a refresher 1-2" type deal. A bunch of ther SREFs like it too, though its hard to give them any weight even at 48-60 hours. Maybe by tomorrow I'll give them a bit of weight. The Euro was ugly though that it keeps me cautious...but despite the Euro still being the best model, its had its misses this year on a few events.

Well maybe the 18 Z inputs changed the outputs first, when I saw the total agreement on GEFS, huge red flag. If 0Z GEFS lock in again probably a good sig with the short lead time. Nam although a miss has a similar look.

Yeah I've always liked it...it used to have a pretty solid warm/west/wet bias in coastals back in the day, but it seems to perform better in that department after some upgrades. Still might be a shade wet in some setups, but far better than before.

Its done particularly well this winter with a lot of these scraper type storms.

I don't have the stats to back it up, but it seems to be really good at nailing precip types. 

The only stats I've run on it are for variables we actually have observations to verify off of (so pytpe and PoP are difficult to get hard numbers for). The only variables I've been less than impressed with is winds.

Yeah I've always liked it...it used to have a pretty solid warm/west/wet bias in coastals back in the day, but it seems to perform better in that department after some upgrades. Still might be a shade wet in some setups, but far better than before.

Its done particularly well this winter with a lot of these scraper type storms.

Completely anecdotal with nothing to back this up, but I find it tends to perform best in set ups that would be stereotypically Canadian weather. Things like backdoor cold fronts in spring, cold air damming, upslope precip in the mountains. It seems to have a great handle on those features.

Completely anecdotal with nothing to back this up, but I find it tends to perform best in set ups that would be stereotypically Canadian weather. Things like backdoor cold fronts in spring, cold air damming, upslope precip in the mountains. It seems to have a great handle on those features.

Yes especially CAD

I'm thinking if the EURO trends towards the second shortwave trough then I will discount the NAM solution until it agrees with the GFS.

James I just saw your sig for the first time. Kudos brother, hope it works out well for you. Here's a bit of advice, don't take what people write personally , there are a lot of great peeps here and some not so great. Let it roll off of your back. Best of luck. FYI, I love your enthusiasm and love of storms. There are other peeps here with some serious medical issues too,.Stay strong and I am biting on the GFS for Monday

Actually that's the middle s/w .....the one discussed a couple of pages ago that looked good until yesterday when they dropped it in favor of the third missing . Interesting but need to see the euro on board. Nam was close.

If this one happens that is what we saw in 95....every little threat morphed.

and 94, as a reminder. I think you mean 96 though

When Kevin and I are on the same team on a storm it almost never fails.

You naysayers ........ ye of little faith.

Funny,  the local (Springfield based) 11pm mets I saw (ABC-40) (WWLP-22)  said "tricky little system", "bears watching".

Tomorrow will be fun to watch the models conflict or come in to agreement on either a more robust or meager solution. I'm still intrigued due to the number of moving parts. There is some energy there just see how it evolves as it moves east. GFS has certainly been adamant about some snow falling,

20.jpg

James I just saw your sig for the first time. Kudos brother, hope it works out well for you. Here's a bit of advice, don't take what people write personally , there are a lot of great peeps here and some not so great. Let it roll off of your back. Best of luck. FYI, I love your enthusiasm and love of storms. There are other peeps here with some serious medical issues too,.Stay strong and I am biting on the GFS for Monday

nice post bro, I agree with everything you said.  James is good people.

Sun-Mon Feb 9-10 Inverted Storm Potentialtamp="1391836519"]Is not the title of the thread wrong? This system is an entity unto itself. There is no inverted trough today or tomorrow. Monday is the 10th and the energy initially thought to have norlan signature is halfway to England.

Cj started the thread and then never posted again.

my bad, i broke off the thread and messed up the dates, it was always sun/mon timeframe

my bad, i broke off the thread and messed up the dates, it was always sun/mon timeframe

haha yes, I had gone back through the banter thread or whatever it was where I made a post and wondered where it went and then saw that all the sudden it was moved and used to start this thread.

Not a problem at all but I never had anything to do with the title :lmao:

00Z EC not biting.

Its nice to see the GFS come in more robust starting at 18Z and then more so at 00Z. There have been at least 1 or 2 ens members hinting at a solution that looks like the OP for quite a while. Not sure if its a hiccup or the start of a trend and with the EC being a bit less reliable of late, Im not sure what to think. RGEM looks decent out as far as it goes, GGEM is, well, better than the Euro but thats not hard to do for this system.

Gun to head, Id say it ends up looking more like the GFS than anything else but maybe for a narrower area than depicted.

Archived