EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Sun-Mon Feb 9-10 Inverted Storm Potential

cja1987

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go with this rule of thumb, even the SREFs track record may not be that good in the end, but within the 72-24 hour period, they are good with trends.  If the SREFs show a more improved system within the 72-24 hour window before the event they are likely on to something.  I don't give up on an event until the SREFs are out to sea and done with the system themselves.  While they trended out to sea with the southern stream wave, there was always a secondary wave of low pressure and now that the GFS operational and ensembles agree 100% on a moderate snowstorm for Sunday night into Monday, chances are the global models will follow suite, how soon depends on several factors, but I don't pay much attention within the 24-72 hour range to the EURO.  I pay attention within 24 hours to what the EURO depicts.  However right now it is a SREF and GFS system to lose.

The SREFs are indeed worth looking at this far out, as I have stated above, the SREF mean has been very good in the 24+ hour time frame, out to about 72 hours.  They begin to lock onto a north trend or a wetter trend, the rest of the model suite begin to lock onto a north trend too, we need to continue to watch this event as we get closer to the short range models.

The SREFs are indeed worth looking at this far out, as I have stated above, the SREF mean has been very good in the 24+ hour time frame, out to about 72 hours.  They begin to lock onto a north trend or a wetter trend, the rest of the model suite begin to lock onto a north trend too, we need to continue to watch this event as we get closer to the short range models.

They're crap past 48hr and often struggle inside of d1. Here's a frankfurter. :weenie:

SREFS plumes are 2-3" in SNE, pretty reasonable it seems

I guess maybe it's a matter of semantics. I hear moderate snowstorm and think at least advisory level (and not a marginal rush hour kind of advisory). I could buy 2-3", but I don't consider that a moderate system and that might be why we are getting some of this arguing back and forth over what the models show.

GFS being the most bullish at 2-4" verbatim doesn't really inspire a ton of confidence for me, but can't rule that type of solution out either.

I guess maybe it's a matter of semantics. I hear moderate snowstorm and think at least advisory level (and not a marginal rush hour kind of advisory). I could buy 2-3", but I don't consider that a moderate system and that might be why we are getting some of this arguing back and forth over what the models show.

GFS being the most bullish at 2-4" verbatim doesn't really inspire a ton of confidence for me, but can't rule that type of solution out either.

refresher, although the landscape still looks as silky as the day it fell, beautiful scenes around here. Sunrise was spectacular with sundogs followed with an incredible sunset.

refresher, although the landscape still looks as silky as the day it fell, beautiful scenes around here. Sunrise was spectacular with windows followed with an incredible sunset.

Had a little hoar frost up here last night, really added to the scene.

What I find incredible is that we (as an agency) are still answering questions about this "big storm" for the weekend.

Its not really a shock to me because most of its ensembles at 18z were much more robust than the OP. 

Yes, the GEFS have had it for several runs actually...though as you said, the 18z GEFS were esp liking it.

I just checked the RGEM model (a very underrated solid short term model in my book) and it supports a GFS-esque solution.

Yes, the GEFS have had it for several runs actually...though as you said, the 18z GEFS were esp liking it.

I just checked the RGEM model (a very underrated solid short term model in my book) and it supports a GFS-esque solution.

Do we bite? Yea three solid model hit for 3-6 , King James bible type comeback. Man would be great if this works out.

You speak the truth. I'm actually working on a project up here to figure out what (of all available guidance) performs the best in the first 36 hours of the forecast. RGEM is consistently at the top of the list for Max/Min T and hourly temps. We find it to be really good with sky cover too.

Do we bite? Yea three solid model hit for 3-6 , King James bible type comeback. Man would be great if this works out.

Not sure yet...I've always thought it worth keeping half an eye on for a couple inches...but didn't expect it to come back to solid advisory level this close in...but we've seen far stranger than this.

Its really only GFS and RGEM to a slightly lesser extent. Ukie is better than before, but still more like a refresher 1-2" type deal. A bunch of ther SREFs like it too, though its hard to give them any weight even at 48-60 hours. Maybe by tomorrow I'll give them a bit of weight. The Euro was ugly though that it keeps me cautious...but despite the Euro still being the best model, its had its misses this year on a few events.

Archived