• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Sun-Mon Feb 9-10 Inverted Storm Potential

cja1987

00Z GEFS members are a tad more coherent on the idea that Sun is not a big deal, that said I think agreement is better on a storm being around @hr180 (2/13) than it is on Sunday's event!

Still a complex situation from which the wave(s) for Sunday are arising. Ejecting out of an anomalous ESE-WNW oriented trough axis in the Pac NW. I expect predictability to remain fairly low relative to "normal" for at least the next 24hr and the weenie in me wants to think models are under doing the potential deepening of waves as they cross the northern Rockies.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOX

SATURDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY...
LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST CONTINUES IN THIS TIME FRAME. A COUPLE
PIECES OF ENERGY WILL BE DROPPING DOWN INTO THE GREAT LAKES IN
NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT. AT THE SAME TIME...LOW PRESSURE WILL BE
DEVELOPING OFF THE GULF/SOUTHEAST COAST.

THE 00Z SUITE OF MODELS DO NOT AMPLIFY THE NORTHERN STREAM ENERGY
ENOUGH...SO THE SURFACE LOW ESCAPES SOUTHEAST OF THE BENCHMARK.
THEREFORE...ODDS FAVOR OUR REGION BEING SPARED A SIGNIFICANT WINTER
STORM. HOWEVER...THE MODELS DO SHOW AN INVERTED TROUGH SETTING UP
WITH THE GFS BEING MOST AGGRESSIVE IN THIS SCENARIO. THIS MEANS
THAT EVEN IF THE LOW PASSES WELL TOO OUR EAST...A PERIOD OF SNOW MAY
STILL OCCUR AS MOISTURE MIGHT BE PULLED WESTWARD. IT COULD END UP
BEING JUST A ROUND OR TWO OF SNOW SHOWERS IF THE FLATTER ECMWF
VERIFIES...BUT A GREATER POTENTIAL OF SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW EXISTS
IF SOME OF THE GFS/GGEM ENSEMBLES VERIFY WITH A STRONGER INVERTED
TROUGH SIGNAL.

ALL IN ALL...A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY STILL REMAINS IN THIS TIME FRAME.
WHILE ODDS ARE AGAINST A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM AT THIS POINT...A
TRACK WITH THE SURFACE LOW CLOSER TO THE COAST AND A MORE SIGNIFICANT
SNOWFALL CAN/T BE RULED OUT.

Do inverted troughs generally favor some parts of the area over others?

Coastal plain? Interior? Location not important?

I always think these are precarious

The climo for them is further E and NE...but they often have a hit or miss element to them. The Jan 18th MLK weekend inverted trough was a classic example of the uneven nature of them. About 6 inches of paste fell in ORH with areas 20-30 miles south getting almost nothing...just a few flakes. NW CT got hammered while just SE of them was almost nothing.

There's usually distinct winners and losers in inverted trough setups. We'll see how this one trends, but right now it looks pretty weak...though there is certainly still some potential for something more significant.

The climo for them is further E and NE...but they often have a hit or miss element to them. The Jan 18th MLK weekend inverted trough was a classic example of the uneven nature of them. About 6 inches of paste fell in ORH with areas 20-30 miles south getting almost nothing...just a few flakes. NW CT got hammered while just SE of them was almost nothing.

There's usually distinct winners and losers in inverted trough setups. We'll see how this one trends, but right now it looks pretty weak...though there is certainly still some potential for something more significant.

I'm now hoping the ocean low trends closer.  Many of them have.  The issue with that is the NW flank of it is pretty dry, so it's going to take a sizeable shift to matter much.

This ones trending in the wrong direction pending the euro.

Doubtful it comes back...at least as a significant storm.

A light refresher is certainly possible though. That's probably where expectations need to be aimed at this point. Hopefully someone can get a nice surprise out of an inverted trough band

Said this yesterday too....inverted troughs seem to be the placeholder when models can't resolve the energy any other way.

Well sometimes they are real. We already had a pretty potent one on 1/18. I suspect this one will change a bit in the coming 24 hours, but I think we can pretty much rule out a significant widespread storm at this point.

Well sometimes they are real. We already had a pretty potent one on 1/18. I suspect this one will change a bit in the coming 24 hours, but I think we can pretty much rule out a significant widespread storm at this point.

I should hope no one had any hopes on a large-scale system.  This year has not been kind to long-range modeled large-scale systems.  No reason to write it off either.  QPF be damned right now.  RH fields look ok and there is a s/w traversing the area.

Yeah but I think more times than not when we see them in the 3-6 day range...they're a placeholder.  Sometimes we end up with bonafide storms instead...this time it seems like what we may be trending to is energy spaced just too far apart. 

There's still a little glimmer with a later system IMO...so we'll see.   It's down to either that first one clipping us, or a later system dropping in.  The trough thing is going out the window it appears.

Archived