• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Bring it. I have thought this would be a 3"-6" event in the Chicago metro all along (once it was clear that the big dog wasn't coming together). This is a different storm that the disorganized mess we were dealing with last weekend. I'd be hesitant to go above those amounts, though.

Yeah I would to. Not expecting anymore than 4".

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IND has added lollis to 12" in the new warning text. At least I think that's a new addition...

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST
WEDNESDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST
WEDNESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 7 TO 10 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS UP TO
12 INCHES ALONG AND NORTH OF INTERSTATE 70.

* TIMING: THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH MIDDAY WEDNESDAY. HEAVIEST SNOW
EXPECTED FROM LATE AFTERNOON THROUGH APPROXIMATELY 2 AM
WEDNESDAY. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR ARE
ANTICIPATED THIS EVENING.

* OTHER IMPACTS: BLOWING SNOW COULD REDUCE VISIBILITIES AND
CAUSE SIGNIFICANT DRIFTS...CONTRIBUTING TO AN EVEN GREATER
TRAVEL HAZARD.

IND has added lollis to 12" in the new warning text. At least I think that's a new addition...

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST

WEDNESDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST

WEDNESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 7 TO 10 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS UP TO

12 INCHES ALONG AND NORTH OF INTERSTATE 70.

* TIMING: THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH MIDDAY WEDNESDAY. HEAVIEST SNOW

EXPECTED FROM LATE AFTERNOON THROUGH APPROXIMATELY 2 AM

WEDNESDAY. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR ARE

ANTICIPATED THIS EVENING.

* OTHER IMPACTS: BLOWING SNOW COULD REDUCE VISIBILITIES AND

CAUSE SIGNIFICANT DRIFTS...CONTRIBUTING TO AN EVEN GREATER

TRAVEL HAZARD.

Yeah, that is new with the 12" spots..

Yeah, that is new with the 12" spots..

Thanks.

What a year. Last month we exceeded the yearly average and here we might blow through the February average with just this one little storm. Will it ever end?

Yeah, you're right. 6.5" is the February normal snowfall for Indianapolis.

For IND, have to smell the taint to go big big...a la Jan 5. I think they have a legit shot at a foot, if all goes to plan.  

Agreed. Just north to Fort Wayne on over to Toledo look the best ATM. Didn't realize you guys did so well with Jan 5. Got a lil more than we did up here. 15 inch band was just to our west and just now seeing it extended all the way down to north of indy. Was too caught up with my area that I didn't notice.

Haven't been able to pay much attention to this storm but MKX snow amounts seem alright but looks like they may be leaning more towards the Hi-res models. Lake enhancement should really pick up after midnight once delta t's reach 13C, fetch across the lake also looks really good so we will see how much this will add.

Agreed. Just north to Fort Wayne on over to Toledo look the best ATM. Didn't realize you guys did so well with Jan 5. Got a lil more than we did up here. 15 inch band was just to our west and just now seeing it extended all the way down to north of indy. Was too caught up with my area that I didn't notice.

Jan 5 was one of the biggest storms for Indiana in a long time. When talking double digit amounts over a fairly decent area of the state. I've got a nice listing of all the amounts from CO-OP and CoCoRaHS observers...and am going to do a little write up about that storm for here, sometime in the Spring hopefully. 

Jan 5 was one of the biggest storms for Indiana in a long time. When talking double digit amounts over a fairly decent area of the state. I've got a nice listing of all the amounts from CO-OP and CoCoRaHS observers...and am going to do a little write up about that storm for here, sometime in the Spring hopefully. 

Very Cool. I'd be interested in reading it. Was a rare storm with how far south the PV was and the interaction the the low. Hope the NW trends continue with this as you will still look good and possibly do better in the def band.

I think any northward adjustments are pretty much done. We might see the slp adjust NW on some of the furthest SE guidance but i'm not seeing anything on the mesoanalysis page, radar, or wv to suggest there are appreciable shifts coming.

FWIW screw hole in MO was showing up nicely on boundary-layer RH...the map also hints at a long road to saturation ahead for a large chunk of IL. On the plus side, it looks like we'll take a nice hit from a pocket of deeper moisture later in the evening.

New to the page here. I'm from Florida so I'm used to following hurricane models. Been reading and trying to get with all the lingo here with the stuff I'm not so used to called snow haha. I'm confused as to why I have a WSW for 6-10 inch here in Dayton, but the weather channel is saying Wintery mix? Just wondering what y'all think is expected here in the Dayton area. Thanks!!

A bit surprised they didn't go warning for Wayne, Lenawee and Monroe. To be honest they didn't even up the totals for the original WWA either.

Plumes have a mean of 7-13" depending on where you are over much of the DTX CWA.

GRR isn't even doing an update. Not a "notable event" and should remain south of the CWA. Lol

Someone's going to be eating those words by tomorrow morning.

Archived