Newest Member
    amirah5
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we got time ;)   :P

yeah, potential was somewhat there for many more in this thread to do far better, but dry air will make things difficult-er....but it's awesome to see the LAF team pick up a solid system

the 4km NAM is a little better with the dry air situation on the initial push

nam-hires_namer_009_sim_reflectivity.gif

It would be quite hilarious (for many reasons more than one) if this was our GHD retribution. Keep in mind the NAM kept going NW with it until the end (within 24-48 hours), which is what ultimately verified.

Unlikely, but just a thought given its trend and solution.

That's the big question in my mind. Are the NW adjustments done? Is it steady state from here on out? Or is this like we've seen a couple times this winter where there's a small adjustment back to the SE during the final 12-18 hrs.

It would be quite hilarious (for many reasons more than one) if this was our GHD retribution. Keep in mind the NAM kept going NW with it until the end (within 24-48 hours), which is what ultimately verified.

Unlikely, but just a thought given its trend and solution.

I know Im into snowcover more than the average weenie...its not about having white ground. I do NOT expect NAM to verify...but do you realize how much snow we have ON THE GROUND right now? There was NO snow on the ground before Apr 1886, Jan 1967, Dec 1974, an inch before Jan 1999....there was some snow before Jan 1978 and Feb 2011 but not half of what there is now. If we even get 6" (which is less than half what NAM is forecasting) it will be epic...

This is such as shift it looks like CLE is now south of the best band. :lol:

I will laugh if the best snows end up north of here. Most local media outlets had the best snow south of here last night.

And while it might be fun to jump on the NW trend of the NAM, doesn't anyone remember this past Saturday when the NAM had a swath of 6-8" from north of Chicago to Mt Pleasant, Michigan? Look how that turned out...

I will laugh if the best snows end up north of here. Most local media outlets had the best snow south of here last night.

And while it might be fun to jump on the NW trend of the NAM, doesn't anyone remember this past Saturday when the NAM had a swath of 6-8" from north of Chicago to Mt Pleasant, Michigan? Look how that turned out...

Yeah, that's definitely something to keep in mind. Same thing happened with the Jan 5 storm as well. In any event, I think you're in a damn good spot.

Not saying the NAM is right (it's an outlier right now in fact), but this system is an entirely different animal from last week's system.

Several mets here gave reason as to why the further NW solutions were at least plausible with this one.

Wyandotte snow magnet :pimp:

Oh my NAM. Are you kidding me? It basically has that narrow clown band that was over LAF a few days ago now extended to Detroit. ohmy.png

This now has the CHANCE (wont jump the gun ala NAM) to become DTWs 5th storm of 6"+ this winter...and its early February :lmao:

Wow, wagons north for Detroit.

Josh gets a foot now?

I'm hoping for 6 now.

RGEM has been getting beefier with each successive run as well.

I was JUST about to post that. RGEM had Detroit straddling the 0.40" line for several runs (sharp cutoff north of there) and at 6z jumped up to 0.60" to Detroit with the 0.40" line extending well into the northern suburbs. We shall see what 12z brings...

The NAM started trending SE nearly 24 hours before that event started.

NAM 18Z Friday run was the first. Although Euro was always further south. Snow began about 2am Sat am. So the definitive trend south east was within 24 hrs....

And of course that has no bearing on this outside of anything can change and usually does.

NAM 18Z Friday run was the first. Although Euro was always further south. Snow began about 2am Sat am. So the definitive trend south east was within 24 hrs....

Your memory is better than mine but yeah, the trend SE was pretty obvious well before that system got going, even on the NAM. This system is already off to the races and we're seeing some positive signs. Totally different and much better position to be in.

Archived