northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM OP in itself is so close to a solid hit for us. A small shift NW in the QPF shield would make a world of a difference. As it stands looks like around 0.2" of QPF on this run.

Around 0.3-0.40" actually. It would be safe to use 15:1 snow ratios given the temperatures. A 50 mile shift NW would do wonders. 

NAM clown map is a very solid hit for DTW.... I hope it is light and fluffy stuff, rather than the 2.5:1 mess we just had.

One thing is for certain blowing snow will be a big factor from this one for there is nothing to hold the new snow down in place. Plus it has a nearly smooth surface to ride on, from the last system. Good times. Lets set another monthly snow record for Feb and eclipse the all time seasonal too !!!

Lakeside gets .40" liquid and most of northeast IL gets .30"+

Best run in a few days.

Been waiting for the models to pick up on this added QPF (understandably, they shouldn't show it tooooo much more than 48 hours out anyways)....but to possibly debunk my expectations...do/would the models have a grasp on water temps and it's possible impact on any enhancement?

Normally I'd chide you for assuming 15:1 ratios based on temps but cobb techniques have been showing some decent ratios with this event the last several runs.

LOOL! There seems to be good support for decent snow ratios. Hopefully the 0z RGEM/GFS are just as loving as the Nam, haha. 

Normally I'd chide you for assuming 15:1 ratios based on temps but cobb techniques have been showing some decent ratios with this event the last several runs.

I've noticed ratios near 16:1 on recent NAM/GFS COBB runs. 0.5" QPF contour now getting up near hamilton on the 0z NAM. YYZ looks to jump from ~0.25 to a tick above 0.3", so we are headed in the right direction.

Almost 20" ;)........ If it verifies you know who to blame.

DTW has a rock solid base of 12" that this fresh stuff will be falling on. Time to dig in the old record books. Since snow depth records began in 1885...the winters where 18"+ depth was reached...

1885-86: 25" (Apr)

1892-93: 18" (Jan)

1899-00: 26" (Mar)

1974-75: 19" (Dec)

1981-82: 18" (Feb)

1998-99: 24" (Jan)

So in the last 130 years, only 6 winters has the depth hit 18" or higher. (It is assumed, based on snowfall records, that that number was reached in 1875 and 1881, but snow depth records didnt start until 1885).

Been waiting for the models to pick up on this added QPF (understandably, they shouldn't show it tooooo much more than 48 hours out anyways)....but to possibly debunk my expectations...do/would the models have a grasp on water temps and it's possible impact on any enhancement?

Talking to Caplan now about the lake enhancement, he thinks there is too much ice and that the NAM is overdone but I disagree.

You're getting a pretty strong signal and better as we get closer.

I've noticed ratios near 16:1 on recent NAM/GFS COBB runs. 0.5" QPF contour now getting up near hamilton on the 0z NAM. YYZ looks to jump from ~0.25 to a tick above 0.3", so we are headed in the right direction.

0.4" line gets as close as Mississauga. Looks like the Toronto proper is solidly ~0.35". Tight gradient though. Small shifts one away or another are going to have big consequences.

Talking to Caplan now about the lake enhancement, he thinks there is too much ice and that the NAM is overdone but I disagree.

You're getting a pretty strong signal and better as we get closer.

I'd think marginal delta Ts are the bigger issue.  Besides, the fetch passes over a lot of open water as winds back NNE. 

Archived