northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to see something funny, take a look at the CMH one. Talk about a forecast headache.

30% chance of snow, 30% chance of freezing rain, 30% chance of rain. actually the SREF 3hr POP and type has slightly different numbers for CMH. I just sort of rounded off. Yep that would drive me nuts.

CIPS analogs using the 12z NAM at 36 and 48 hours both like February 16, 1993 as the #1 analog.

attachicon.gif19930217_072_total.png

But for entertainment purposes, here's the top 15 at 48 hours using the 12z NAM. Some big dogs for almost everyone on that list.

Feb 16, 1993

Jan 14, 1979

Feb 25, 2011

Feb 3, 1982

Feb 2, 2011

Jan 31, 1982

Feb 22, 2010

Jan 5, 2004

Feb 14, 2007

Dec 23, 2004

Feb 21, 1989

Dec 28, 1983

Jan 10, 1985

Feb 14, 2000

Feb 26, 1993

Looks like there's a goody in there for everyone (12/23/04 here).

CIPS analogs using the 12z NAM at 36 and 48 hours both like February 16, 1993 as the #1 analog.

19930217_072_total.png

But for entertainment purposes, here's the top 15 at 48 hours using the 12z NAM. Some big dogs for almost everyone on that list.

Feb 16, 1993 - ?

Jan 14, 1979 - approx 6"

Feb 25, 2011 - approx 4"

Feb 3, 1982 - 6"

Feb 2, 2011 - 10.3"

Jan 31, 1982 - 11.8"

Feb 22, 2010 - approx 7"

Jan 5, 2004 - 2.8"

Feb 14, 2007 -8.5"

Dec 23, 2004 -8.9"

Feb 21, 1989 - approx 4"

Dec 28, 1983 - ?

Jan 10, 1985 - ?

Feb 14, 2000 - ?

Feb 26, 1993 - ?

At work so I don't have access data...but i added the dtw numbers that I knew for the SE MI posters

Reading now, where 1"-3" for city and south, heavier totals south. 

How about a complete whiff? Of the two systems that have been in the news the last few days (this one, and the possible snow over this coming weekend) one of them was going to be less than what everyone was hoping for. 

Reading now, where 1"-3" for city and south, heavier totals south.

How about a complete whiff? Of the two systems that have been in the news the last few days (this one, and the possible snow over this coming weekend) one of them was going to be less than what everyone was hoping for.

Looks like both might be a letdown locally.

HAVE BUMPED TOTALS UP A BIT ACROSS THE AREA FROM YESTERDAYS AND  

THE OVERNIGHT FORECAST...AS MESOSCALE FACTORS ARE BEGINNING TO  

LOOK HEALTHIER AND CONCERNED THAT BANDING MAY BE A MAJOR PLAYER IN  

THIS SYSTEM.  

CROSS SECTIONS ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA SHOW FROM THE METRO AREA  

NORTHWARD...VERY STRONG FRONTOGENESIS NEARLY COLOCATED WITH  

STRONGLY NEGATIVE EPV. ADDITIONALLY...THESE FEATURES ARE NEAR OR  

WITHIN THE -10 TO -20 LAYER FAVORED FOR DENDRITIC GROWTH...WHICH  

COULD LOCALLY ENHANCE SNOWFALL RATIOS. THE NEGATIVE EPV INDICATES  

THE OUTSIDE POTENTIAL FOR CONVECTIVE ELEMENTS AND...PERHAPS...AN  

OUTSIDE SHOT AT A RUMBLE OF THUNDER SOMEWHERE IN THE STRONGEST  

BANDS.  

IWX

ALL EYES FOCUSED ON IMPRESSIVE PV ANOMALY WRAPPING EWD THROUGH NRN   BAHA THIS AFTN. IMPRESSIVE DEEP GOMEX MSTR PLUME NOTED IN PWAT   ANALYSIS THIS MORNING W/SECONDARY SUB TROPICAL MSTR ENTRAINMENT   NOTED IN VAPOR ACRS NRN MEXICO. THUS EC/GEM/UK CONSENSUS BLEND   PREFERRED W/HIGH CONTINUITY TRACK LIFTING SFC WAVE FM TX COASTAL   PLAIN NEWD INTO SWRN PA BFR COASTAL HANDOFF TAKES PLACE. DETAIL   REFINEMENT HWVR RELEGATED TWD HIGHRES TRENDS ESP WRT LIKELY   MESOBANDING EARLY IN THE EVENT.    GROSS SYNOPTIC SIGNALS INCLUDING 150M+ H5 HFC AND COMPOSITE H7-H85   TRACK POINT TO HEAVIEST STRIPE OF SNOW FALLING SOUTH OF A MONTICELLO   DEFIANCE LINE W/STG MESOBANDING SIGNALS NOTED ALG A KCMI-KFDY LINE   TUES EVENING AS DEEP AGEO CIRC DVLPS UNDERNEATH STG 180KT JET STREAK   POSITIONED OVR SE CANADA. TIMING OF LL MSTR SURGE KEY TO FINAL AMTS   BUT CERTAINLY CAN NOT RULE OUT HIGHER QPFS NOTED IN MANY INDIVIDUAL   HIGHRES SOLUTIONS GIVEN 12Z RAOBS/GOES SOUNDER IMAGERY DOWN SOUTH.   BEST ALIGNMENT OF FTRS FITTING WITHIN WARNING SNOWFALL CRITERIA    WOULD LOOK TO BE ALG/SOUTH OF THE HIGHWAY 24 CORRIDOR...HWVR GIVEN  EXTREME MODEL SPREAD STILL PRESENT ALOFT WILL HOLD W/PRIOR WATCH  ISSUANCE FOR ANOTHER MODEL CYCLE AS COASTAL HANDOFF TIMING  PROBLEMATIC TO BOOT.    

The 18z High Res NAM just destroyed SE Indiana and a huge swath of Ohio.

Somebody is buying the cold air now. Holy cow what a 180 from the run 6 hours ago!!!

Lmao. I'm right in the bullseye.

The NAM is always hung over until about the 36hrs out when it decides to sober up.

The 18z High Res NAM just destroyed SE Indiana and a huge swath of Ohio.

Somebody is buying the cold air now. Holy cow what a 180 from the run 6 hours ago!!!

Careful, the thermals don't actually support snow in that heavy swatch of "snow" in SE IN to Ohio. :( Another example of a bad snow algorithm. The 850mb 0C line pushes north over that area for a time and the warmest layer appears to actually be at 800mb.

I'd guess about 0.5" ZR and several inches of snow in those areas according to the NAM.

I know some knock these maps, but they are the best I've seen for actually capturing thermals appropriately:

http://wxcaster4.com/nam/CONUS1_MESO-ETA212_SFC_ACCUMSNOWFALL-KUCHERA_48HR.gif

Careful, the thermals don't actually support snow in that heavy swatch of "snow" in SE IN to Ohio. :( Another example of a bad snow algorithm. The 850mb 0C line pushes north over that area for a time and the warmest layer appears to actually be at 800mb.

I'd guess about 0.5" ZR and several inches of snow in those areas according to the NAM.

I know some knock these maps, but they are the best I've seen for actually capturing thermals appropriately:

http://wxcaster4.com/nam/CONUS1_MESO-ETA212_SFC_ACCUMSNOWFALL-KUCHERA_48HR.gif

18z gfs actually matches very well with that swath... Even takes it down into cincy

Archived