• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Careful, the thermals don't actually support snow in that heavy swatch of "snow" in SE IN to Ohio. :( Another example of a bad snow algorithm. The 850mb 0C line pushes north over that area for a time and the warmest layer appears to actually be at 800mb.

I'd guess about 0.5" ZR and several inches of snow in those areas according to the NAM.

I know some knock these maps, but they are the best I've seen for actually capturing thermals appropriately:

http://wxcaster4.com/nam/CONUS1_MESO-ETA212_SFC_ACCUMSNOWFALL-KUCHERA_48HR.gif

Careful, the thermals don't actually support snow in that heavy swatch of "snow" in SE IN to Ohio. :( Another example of a bad snow algorithm. The 850mb 0C line pushes north over that area for a time and the warmest layer appears to actually be at 800mb.

I'd guess about 0.5" ZR and several inches of snow in those areas according to the NAM.

I know some knock these maps, but they are the best I've seen for actually capturing thermals appropriately:

http://wxcaster4.com/nam/CONUS1_MESO-ETA212_SFC_ACCUMSNOWFALL-KUCHERA_48HR.gif

Not entirely true. The 4k highres NAM differed greatly from the little brother at 18z. Look again!

(I will post more when I get home, sorry I am on my phone)

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z High Res NAM just destroyed SE Indiana and a huge swath of Ohio.

Somebody is buying the cold air now. Holy cow what a 180 from the run 6 hours ago!!!

Nice bullseye over me! haha\

P&C forecast remains at 1-3".

Warnings/watches/advisories to the west, south and east of here. Screw zone! Next.....

I am certainly not expecting more than an inch or two by the end of the day tomorrow, and then, perhaps another 1/2 inch on Wed, regardless of LOT's snow maps.

Look at the SREF Plumes here (pick your station):

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/

Bookmarked. Thanks a lot.

Actually. I was there earlier. I forgot. How do you get exact numbers as ChiWX has? Any idea?

Nevermind. I figured it out. Using a phone clicking the circles it hides the amount under the header. But I figured it out. Thanks again for the link.

Seriously, this isn't meant to be snide, but even if DTW ended up with 8" you'd be disappointed. Right? So whether it's 4 or 8", what's the difference?

As antsy as I am over the lack of a big dog for Detroit, 8" would be better than another 2-4" or nothing at all.

It's like if you win $10,000 in the lottery. Surely it's much better than nothing or only winning $100, but it's still not the same as winning that Jackpot. 

As antsy as I am over the lack of a big dog for Detroit, 8" would be better than another 2-4" or nothing at all.

It's like if you win $10,000 in the lottery. Surely it's much better than nothing or only winning $100, but it's still not the same as winning that Jackpot. 

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was getting this vibe from you that it's all or nothing.

I think this is going to be a clunker on the far northern flanks of the precip shield. a quick half inch of mood flakiness.

Good to see LAF get in the jackpot zone. If I have to miss out on the fun, would much prefer them as oppose to Madison :)

Probably the same for Saturday/Sunday  as well..

several of the models (including Skilling's POS) actually show higher amounts north and south of the city, with a screw zone in between around Will, DuPage, Kane, Cook. Can't be LE as the higher amounts were way west. Where's the dry air coming from?

combination of dry low level NE flow and the mid level dry slot. It has shown up on the last 2 NAM runs and you're starting to see the early stages on the RAP as well.

Archived