• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Haven't seen any of the St. Louis folks chime in as of late in this thread... the metro area is really right on the cusp of decent 6+" totals.  We need a slight jog to the SE, but with the way the NAM and the GFS have been looking all day, I don't have my hopes up.  Some maps from the local nets:

Fox (Dave Murray):

wAttppv.png

NBC (Mike Roberts):

wJdLd4w.png

Additionally, first time I've seen it this season, MoDOT has already issued a "do not travel advisory"  for the entire state on Tuesday.  With the winter we've already had, the state is in short supply of salt and the $ simply isn't there.  Tomorrow and Wednesday should be very interesting, especially for those of you in IN/OH.   :snowing:

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Additionally, first time I've seen it this season, MoDOT has already issued a "do not travel advisory"  for the entire state.  With the winter we've already had, the state is in short supply of salt and the $ simply isn't there.  Tomorrow should be very interesting, especially for those of you in IN/OH.   :snowing:

That reminds me, I heard that the Michigan DOT I believe it was, has already spent over 80% of it's budget for the entire year just on plowing and salting the roads. That could end up really, really bad come summer when there are potholes everywhere.

I know the NAM isn't the be all, end all...but we're close enough...so one would expect IWX to upgrade to Warnings. Looks like the big totals in Indiana may run right through their CWA.

Well, since they cancelled the first session of svr wx spotter training scheduled for Tues. night at Notre Dame I expect they eventually will do so.

MKE

LOOKING AT THE LATEST NAM AND PRIOR MODELS...DECIDED TO
DELAY ONSET OF SNOW UNTIL TUE EVENING. SRN WI REMAINS ON THE NRN
FRINGE OF THE LOW MOVING ACROSS THE OHIO RIVER VALLEY. THE NAM
REMAINS THE MOST AGGRESSIVE WITH THE QPF...LAKE EFFECT SNOW...AND
SNOW LINGERING FOR MUCH OF WED. WILL NOT COMMIT TO JUST THIS
MODEL BUT A LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT THE LES FROM MKE SOUTH TO THE
IL BORDER GIVEN A NELY FETCH FOR ABOUT 12 HRS AND COLD 850 MB
TEMPS. ADDED ANOTHER INCH TO THE LES AREA WITH STORM TOTAL UP TO 4
INCHES THERE.

I really think we are all good...TBH....an inch here or 2 there...what a great winter....

Yeah, hopefully can get at least 6" across a good chunk of the state. Would be a nice spread the wealth system.

And most definitely about this winter. One we'll remember fondly, for a long time.

Yeah, hopefully can get at least 6" across a good chunk of the state. Would be a nice spread the wealth system.

And most definitely about this winter. One we'll remember fondly, for a long time.

I was 10 yrs old in '78, got my first weather "kit" for Xmas '77...all the time i spent configuring it..only to wake up to green lightning and thunder and then see the red fluid in my barometer run up and out...great memories...i have tried to tell my kids they may not see a winter like this for a long time....falls on deaf ears...but to be expected i guess.  For me, the difference this year, is the extremes that are taking place...while the eastern CONUS is having unreal weather, cold/snowy, the west is equally.  My sister outside San Fran in California told us Friday they are on 20 percent water ration..all shower water etc is being re used...it is such a dynamic ever changing weather world these days.

MIE jackpot it looks like, on the 0z GFS. :guitar:

I don't know about jackpot, but we'll certainly be close to a jackpot.  At the very least, I'm glad to see the temperatures not be an issue.  The NAM had us with a bunch of s**** earlier this week, but this last run is safely cold, aside from a tiny nose at around 760mb that creeps above -1.0C.

I'll do a MBY call of 7".  My pessimism says that's a little ambitious, but if the banding sets up right, then we might go a little higher than that.

I don't know about jackpot, but we'll certainly be close to a jackpot.  At the very least, I'm glad to see the temperatures not be an issue.  The NAM had us with a bunch of s**** earlier this week, but this last run is safely cold, aside from a tiny nose at around 760mb that creeps above -1.0C.

I'll do a MBY call of 7".  My pessimism says that's a little ambitious, but if the banding sets up right, then we might go a little higher than that.

Well it looked close. ;) But yeah, p-type worries are gone for you guys. Unless something goes haywire late, which I don't see happening.

I was 10 yrs old in '78, got my first weather "kit" for Xmas '77...all the time i spent configuring it..only to wake up to green lightning and thunder and then see the red fluid in my barometer run up and out...great memories...i have tried to tell my kids they may not see a winter like this for a long time....falls on deaf ears...but to be expected i guess.  For me, the difference this year, is the extremes that are taking place...while the eastern CONUS is having unreal weather, cold/snowy, the west is equally.  My sister outside San Fran in California told us Friday they are on 20 percent water ration..all shower water etc is being re used...it is such a dynamic ever changing weather world these days.

Good stuff. I was too young to recall the winters of 1977-78 and 1978-79 (2 and 3 respectively). But my parents tell me of the tales of those seasons. And the photos of course...which are awesome. 

Man it would be nice if we could get a tad stronger wave and for it to close off a little sooner

Also get the 850mb low a bit further north this run

attachicon.gifnamUS_500_avort_024.gif

shame to waste the last two events to stat padding..  so much untapped potential..  thems the breaks though and how the south gets big winters with these continual kind of meh systems that never come together in time.

Solid 3-6", more than glad to add this to the tally. We need 4" to get to 10th place all time for the season. Amazing for this early in February.

We're way ahead of that, if this thing delivers 8" then we're at 4th all time and 1" away from 3rd. '78 is really starting to get close, and that really blows me away because I just never envisioned that year going down. I mean it's really hard to fathom that Toledo has received 55" by the end of January, especially when you take into consideration that Traverse City averages 50" by this time. To be getting an above average Traverse City winter down here is mind boggling

Solid 3-6", more than glad to add this to the tally. We need 4" to get to 10th place all time for the season. Amazing for this early in February.

Since this will clearly be a top 10 snowiest winter for Detroit...heres something for you. 5 of the top 11 snowiest winters will be since 2004, and 6 of the 14 snowiest winters will be since 2002. Records go to 1880. :mapsnow:

I think this might be one of those where we get an early clue on how we're going to do.  I'll go with 8-10" with a hedge toward the idea that we do decently in the initial fgen band.  If we start off slowly, then that will probably be a bit high.  If we overperform early on then amounts could easily go over 10".       

shame to waste the last two events to stat padding..  so much untapped potential..  thems the breaks though and how the south gets big winters with these continual kind of meh systems that never come together in time.

I can't remember a season with so many heavy snows missed to the southeast of our areas.  I guess it makes sense though with such a cold winter.  I guess on the bright side at least we're getting some snow for a refresher. 

I can't remember a season with so many heavy snows missed to the southeast of our areas.  I guess it makes sense though with such a cold winter.  I guess on the bright side at least we're getting some snow for a refresher. 

hopefully one breaks our way before its that time of the season where its congrats MSP.   Misses don't really bother me anymore, would have 3 yrs ago, but what I'm really kinna getting sick of is the misses just aren't very moisture laden exciting storms anyways so its been tough to even get excited tracking big storm potential.. Guess I'll have to go back to tracking NE snow bombs in down time like the last 2 winters.

I was 10 yrs old in '78, got my first weather "kit" for Xmas '77...all the time i spent configuring it..only to wake up to green lightning and thunder and then see the red fluid in my barometer run up and out...great memories...i have tried to tell my kids they may not see a winter like this for a long time....falls on deaf ears...but to be expected i guess. For me, the difference this year, is the extremes that are taking place...while the eastern CONUS is having unreal weather, cold/snowy, the west is equally. My sister outside San Fran in California told us Friday they are on 20 percent water ration..all shower water etc is being re used...it is such a dynamic ever changing weather world these days.

Archived