CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 4-5th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised nobody has mentioned the DVN raob from last night and this morning. The 0z sounding last night had nearly a -60 dew point at 650mb which made me cautious on how big a role dry air would play this afternoon but the 12z this morning is better than I expected it to be, saturated nicely above 800mb with still pretty dry low levels but hopefully we can overcome that.

I know Im into snowcover more than the average weenie...its not about having white ground. I do NOT expect NAM to verify...but do you realize how much snow we have ON THE GROUND right now? There was NO snow on the ground before Apr 1886, Jan 1967, Dec 1974, an inch before Jan 1999....there was some snow before Jan 1978 and Feb 2011 but not half of what there is now. If we even get 6" (which is less than half what NAM is forecasting) it will be epic...

You're experiencing the same excitement I had in Ottawa in March 2008. The snowpack was up to my shoulders that year!

I know Im into snowcover more than the average weenie...its not about having white ground. I do NOT expect NAM to verify...but do you realize how much snow we have ON THE GROUND right now? There was NO snow on the ground before Apr 1886, Jan 1967, Dec 1974, an inch before Jan 1999....there was some snow before Jan 1978 and Feb 2011 but not half of what there is now. If we even get 6" (which is less than half what NAM is forecasting) it will be epic...

Haha awesome! Im hoping we can all win out of this system. Would be the first widespread snowstorm in a long time. Whats your snow depth? Mines exactly 12". :D

I'd love to see the NAM verify verbatim, hell I'd burn 2" of that due to dry air and still be happy with the output.

The moisture transport that alek posted though is pretty damn good, it should overcome the dry air pretty quickly once the storm lifts northeast into the region.

Edit: I see the RGEM coming in a bit better than 06z run too. I wonder if this isn't done shifting north and west :)

I'd love to see the NAM verify verbatim, hell I'd burn 2" of that due to dry air and still be happy with the output.

The moisture transport that alek posted though is pretty damn good, it should overcome the dry air pretty quickly once the storm lifts northeast into the region.

would be great to see that 850 wrap up a little quicker but either way moisture transport at the upper levels is excellent so maybe top down saturation will be a bit quicker than one might expect given the dry easterly flow.  wishful thinking but :weenie:

Archived