Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 4-5th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS ejects the SLP  over ENE Texas/Southern Arkansas.

The rest of them from Brownsville up to TX/LA border.

I am going to say that the GFS is wrong.

Doesn't mean it can't come North.  But it's not coming out of NE Texas.

disagree, in my experience, models are often too far south with lee side cyclogenisis in this kind of 500 mb setup, especially with the modeled 850 thermal gradient.

If the surface low actually comes out of the western Gulf, then it will make it a bit more difficult to hook enough in time to cause ptype problems here.  But there are no guarantees...GHD came out of southern TX/western GOM and we know how that turned out here.

This system is going to have more of a NE or NNE trajectory compared to the thing coming tomorrow. The big question mark will be where it ejects from, I don't think it will be as far north as the GFS currently. This thing digs too far south for it to come out of NE Texas. Somewhere near Houston would make a bit more sense currently looking at the 500mb pattern projected at the time of ejection.

My current take on this:

Axis of delight will be IRK-ORD-MBS-YYZ, 10-15 inches with 15-20 pockets with lake enhancement.

Mostly mixed or frozen STL-SPI-LAF-CLE but still 4-7 inch snows in total for this zone

Heavy freezing rain swath a little further south could include HUF, IND, CMH

Flooding rains south central to Ohio valley esp ne AR, se MO, KY

The northward trend has probably reached its end game now, might even see a slight return south but seems to be locking in to an almost ideal track for the northern half of this forum (excluding the further north MN and WI readers who might see 4-7). About 6-10 for IA during a less active early stage.

My current take on this:

Axis of delight will be IRK-ORD-MBS-YYZ, 10-15 inches with 15-20 pockets with lake enhancement.

Mostly mixed or frozen STL-SPI-LAF-CLE but still 4-7 inch snows in total for this zone

Heavy freezing rain swath a little further south could include HUF, IND, CMH

Flooding rains south central to Ohio valley esp ne AR, se MO, KY

The northward trend has probably reached its end game now, might even see a slight return south but seems to be locking in to an almost ideal track for the northern half of this forum (excluding the further north MN and WI readers who might see 4-7). About 6-10 for IA during a less active early stage.

That it is an unusual track for the heaviest snows. I think it would be more like ORD-FNT-YYZ

Just so you all are aware, Someone managed to swipe Indy's Channel 13 (WTHR) copyrighted logo and images and changed the snowfall map to match early numbers of 30+ inches. WTHR has apparently taken to Twitter but let your fellow friends and family fakes are circulating.

I just don't get it.

That's just crazy..  :facepalm:

It's always funny to see folks who insist it will or won't shift this way or that & then look at their location...lol.  Even the NWS offices sometimes get caught up in subjective thinking.  There's way to much involved with this system for anyone to be thinking that a particular shift or particular model solution will take place:

•  PV coming from Asia needs to be sampled
  • ....the piece of PV in East Canada & whether it stays or moves NE is another issue
  • ...all the pieces of the system have yet to be sampled
  • ...we have two shortwaves to get out of the way & what they do can have impacts on this system

I don't get it. Why is THIS storm getting people so crazy? I've never seen it this bad as to people photoshopping maps. What are they getting out of it? I could go on for days but this is ridiculous.

I think a lot if people "forgot" about winter until the "polar vortex" arrived. Now everyone is hypersensitive, and acting like the fantasy storms don't show up every couple weeks on the models.

Didn't hear a peep out of the general public when the euro showed 20+ inches in December

I don't think that is going to be enough to pull main vorticity out of Northern Mexico/SW NM to the Northern Panhandle of Texas in 6-8 hours as it starts to slide Eastward.

But there will obviously be a NE vault as it leaves Northern Mexico.

Unless a flatter more shallow trough shows up with the energy not digging near as much.

But at this point all of the models shows the vort max coming out of the SW with the main vort taking over NE of the previous track. 

Just not jumping 400 miles in 6 hours and then fumbling around with the energy as much.

Obviously people in Chicago want the 12z and 18z GFS to be right.

While the rest of us want all of the other guidance to be right.

So I guess we wait until  more guidance comes in.

Archived