amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 4-5th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Dec 13-14 storm was just gut wrenching here.  Hope we don't have to go through that again. 

I'm talking about the 21-22 event. looks like the NW trend hit hard by 12z on the 18th.

EDIT: gets real good by page 15, we start talking about all the same stuff. just like GHD just not the blizzard

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42040-december-21-22nd-winter-storm-part-2/

I'm talking about the 21-22 event. looks like the NW trend hit hard by 12z on the 18th.

EDIT: gets real good by page 15, we start talking about all the same stuff. just like GHD just not the blizzard

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42040-december-21-22nd-winter-storm-part-2/

Went back and read the AFD'S from my office leading up to GHD, on 1/27 the 12z Euro and GFS basically totally lost/suppressed the storm, only the GEM had it. The midnight shift AFD made it seem like that was the the case with the 00z 1/28 runs too. Since we're at about that timeframe now and it took til 1/28-1/29 for the models to have more of a consensus on GHD (and about 3 days out for the models to converge on the NW solution on 12/21-12/22) we'll probably have a much better idea on next week's storm either tomorrow or Sunday.

Although we may be trending towards a stronger low pressure center, we have a long was to go before we get to the solutions painting the monster QPF numbers in the cold sector like with GHD, especially if they southern vort doesn't close off or shears apart before taking on a negative tilt. 

As it stands now, this system looks like a combination of the PVB and that early-mid December mutant storm (Toronto's ice storm). 

Went back and read the AFD'S from my office leading up to GHD, on 1/27 the 12z Euro and GFS basically totally lost/suppressed the storm, only the GEM had it. The midnight shift AFD made it seem like that was the the case with the 00z 1/28 runs too. Since we're at about that timeframe now and it took til 1/28-1/29 for the models to have more of a consensus on GHD (and about 3 days out for the models to converge on the NW solution on 12/21-12/22) we'll probably have a much better idea on next week's storm either tomorrow or Sunday.

The only thing that I would note is that I believe there were Pacific data gathering flights (once things got a bit closer to the CONUS) leading up to GHD ... so I'm sure that helped with models being able to sort a few of the pieces of the puzzle out earlier than the models will be able to with this system perhaps (regardless of the eventual outcome)...clearly there are no such flights scheduled at any point now.....filed under FWIW

Since I'm all about superstition, this event would also occur on a Tue/Wed as it looks now..

To pile onto the comparisons....

I was posting elsewhere about 3 weeks ago that the last time I saw the pac jet look the way it did (strength, orientation, etc.) was Jan 2011....

Didn't have the same expectations...was just pointing it out at the time

Archived