• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 21 Obs thread II

stormtracker

Mesonistic got around 6.25" in Tenleytown.  you might have gotten 5.5"...If you bumped up to 5.25", I think it would be accurate.  My friend got 5.25" near Petworth and DC teacherman got around 5" in Petworth......at around 200'...you're at just over 200' also , but I think you do a little better on the west side of the park...so 5.25" seems right.  I got 4.5" on my roof and on the ground.  But there is no question I get more latent heat release than you, and don't do as well during the day.

EDIT - another friend got around 4.5" in Brookland..and 4.5" NNW of Takoma Park.

I doubt anybody got 7" around here...even 6 is kinda stretching it.   I usually do as well as Ian, so I let him do my dirty work and just copy his measurements.   I actually measured last night and came up with 5.5, but that seems high to me.   I've always lowballed my estimates to match official measurements if I'm high.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main thought is a lot of people measure in the grass even though NWS says not to. I think that is a big part of the differing numbers. I prob did get more than .5" in that superband though so I may be low.

Not sure if it helps but here are my measurements

5:15 - 2.75"

6:15 - 3.0"

7:15 - 3.75"

Around 8:30 - 9:00 - 4.5" final

I doubt anybody got 7" around here...even 6 is kinda stretching it.   I usually do as well as Ian, so I let him do my dirty work and just copy his measurements.   I actually measured last night and came up with 5.5, but that seems high to me.   I've always lowballed my estimates to match official measurements if I'm high.  

you got 5"...Ian got 5.25"...I can tell you that without even being there ;)

I am 5 miles east of IAD as well and measured 5.5". I was thinking IAD got under some death band that missed here, but given the precip something is really off in their reporting.

You and I are within a few miles of each other and I measured 5" at 7:40 pm.

I did see this on the NWS site regarding the observed reports at the airports:  

These data are preliminary and have not undergone final quality control by the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC). Therefore, these data are subject to revision. Final and certified climate data can be accessed at the NCDC - http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov.

According to NWS observations page (http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KIAD.html ) we never had heavy snow.

you got 5"...Ian got 5.25"...I can tell you that without even being there ;)

yeah you're probably right. i am tempted to go with 5.25" but I dunno if it matters.  i should prob do a smidge better than Randy in an all things being equal scenario.

Interesting reading about these reports -- I was curious about this one from St Marys County:

2 W CALIFORNIA         7.8   806 AM  1/22  TRAINED SPOTTER

My sister lives very near there and she said no way, more like 3".  Plus I noticed Calvert went from around 5" in the north to 3" in the south.  Then I saw that post pointing to the list of Cocorah only reports at the bottom of the Pub Info Statement, and those amounts look much more reasonable.

SXUS71 KLWX 221536

RERBWI

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1233 AM EST WED JAN 22 2014

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT BALTIMORE MD...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 5.1 INCHES WAS SET AT BALTIMORE MD YESTERDAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 2 INCHES SET IN 1982.

Posted this for archival purposes.

yeah you're probably right. i am tempted to go with 5.25" but I dunno if it matters.  i should prob do a smidge better than Randy in an all things being equal scenario.

yes..in a storm this size..yes....about 15% of the time I do worse than DCA, but it is always south and east events or events where they get under a heavier band.  They did better than me on 12/10

Interesting reading about these reports -- I was curious about this one from St Marys County:

2 W CALIFORNIA         7.8   806 AM  1/22  TRAINED SPOTTER

My sister lives very near there and she said no way, more like 3".  Plus I noticed Calvert went from around 5" in the north to 3" in the south.  Then I saw that post pointing to the list of Cocorah only reports at the bottom of the Pub Info Statement, and those amounts look much more reasonable.

There is always one guy who has really inflated numbers from California.  Same thing happened with the 2/6/10 storm. 

I have a hard time believing BWI only got 5.1

Didn't most people around there get at least 6"? My parents got 8" in Pasadena, which isn't too far from BWI.

i htink they got 5.3?...could be tweaked but I doubt it...here are some good pro measurments for fairly close by ...seems like a reasonable total..maybe a tad low

2 NNE CROFTON 5.5 647 AM 1/22 NWS EMPLOYEE

3 E LAUREL 6.6 700 AM 1/22 COCORAHS

1 SE PASADENA 6.0 700 AM 1/22 COCORAHS

3 ESE PASADENA 6.0 800 AM 1/22 COCORAHS

DT's on FB honking about the mega-ratios up and down the 95 corridor.  

3. THE snow ratios up north were AMAZING. THROUGH 12AM newark NJ only got 0.40" of liquid and 10 of snow.. a snow ratio of 40:1. LaGuardia in NYC 0.25 liquid 8.1 " snow for a snow ratio of 32:1 ISLIP long Island 0.46" with 9.2" for a snow ratio of 20:1... Bridgeport CT got 0.21" with amounts of 5.5" for a snow ratio of 26:1

Anything over 20:1 is probably bogus IMO.  Wind certainly can screw with getting snow into the precip gauge and that's likely what happened yesterday.  

Northern neighbor here from Lancaster Co Pa. I received 5" of snow from .43" of liquid which is about 12:1  I was expecting a better ratio but it is what it is.

One relatively recent practice that I do like in their last PNS for an event is that they now separate out the 24-hr Cocorahs totals in a list under the spotter list. It's easier to scan the "higher quality" reports. 

Really like this.  On the LWX site they separate them in map form too, which makes it actually readable.

DT's on FB honking about the mega-ratios up and down the 95 corridor.  

3. THE snow ratios up north were AMAZING. THROUGH 12AM newark NJ only got 0.40" of liquid and 10 of snow.. a snow ratio of 40:1. LaGuardia in NYC 0.25 liquid 8.1 " snow for a snow ratio of 32:1 ISLIP long Island 0.46" with 9.2" for a snow ratio of 20:1... Bridgeport CT got 0.21" with amounts of 5.5" for a snow ratio of 26:1

Anything over 20:1 is probably bogus IMO.  Wind certainly can screw with getting snow into the precip gauge and that's likely what happened yesterday.  

Awful.

Archived