CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 21 Event

Poimen

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the roads are still soaked here if they aren't iced over as pixie dust continues to fall.  It will be a battle between the wind and the cold as to whether we see significant black ice.  I'd at least think the major roads should be just fine.

It will be interesting to see what Guilford County Schools do.  I'm not sure if a 2-hour delay will serve much purpose with temperatures starting in the teens and only warming into the mid-20s tomorrow.  They haven't used any snow days this year, so they might just call off school, as absurd as that sounds for a half-inch of snow.  Additionally, it sounds like roads up in the northern part of the county are markedly worse.

Greenville city center looks to jackpot based on radar, will see tomorrow.

I am right in town we got about 1-1.5" down and its still snowing pretty good but I doubt we get more than another .5-1" at best unless that other band north of RAH does something crazy. Just north of town has gotten 2-3" already in the northern part of the county.

still snowing at a good clip here in Whitsett, with the snow starting to stick to the driveway. I would say we might have .5", perhaps a bit more. It is difficult to say considering our grass is a bit tall.

I just got back home from a Walmart run, and I must declare- there is nothing more beautiful than driving on the interstate, under moderate snow, with the high beams turned on. great Star Wars effect.

Its snowing lightly here larger flakes was snowing heavier.

But yeah if you're under those returns something should be falling.

It's snowing just enough to say it's snowing, but the flakes aren't big and it'd take a million years to accumulate anything. Of course, I'm just under the edge, but, as I expected, the band is weakening, such as it was.

NWS RAH was advertising what they referred to as temperatures crashing. We dropped 8 degrees in a half hour at 3:30, but not sure that was more than a fender bender. At 4 we began a slow drift to where we are now at 25.9 from the 37 at 4. Was this what everyone expected?

Yes, just as modeled. Temps from mid 50s to mid 20s in less than 12 hours is extremely impressive.

Yeah wow the returns look good. Wonder how much we can get out of this. WIth the temps I would suspect this to stick a lot better to the roads in Greenville

I keep looking back expecting to see it starting to die down only to find it looking better and better.  I wouldn't bet on it making it's way to us as it currently looks, but who knows.  Wasn't modeled to my knowledge so my guess is as good as the next one.

Anybody see the big blow up of clouds coming off of the mountains toward GSP area( time sensitive) I thought down sloping was drying things out. I'm guessing its just cirrus and no precip. It looks like a summertime tstorm blowing up over the mtns

Yeah, I see it , but I don't know where it's coming from. Interesting none the less.

We must have had some flurries after I went to bed last night  since the road in front of the house now has a light coating on it. Black ice could have been a lot worse than it is, I think. It was 'only' 28 when I got up at 4:30, now 27, but far from the 18 that was forecast which  would have crusted things up a lot faster. Looks like maybe 3/4" total.

Getting ready for work its 21 out but the roads are not covered but look wet so I am worried about the ride in lol, would rather they be snow covered. Have to go check if they are ice I aint going nowhere till the sun is up higher. Hard to put a total on the snow it was really windy and the snow was powder most of the event some spots have little others 2-3".

Drove into work and the roads did have some snow patches and black ice. There was a good coating of snow on the ground all the way down to 540(came down Six Forks). Then by the time I got off at Capital Blvd there was basically only a dusting. Then got to my work(at 401 intersection) and just a sprinkle of light fluff on the grass(hard to see really). So big differences across Wake County this monring.

Just came in from salting or let's say getting paid to check on areas. Drove from King to Dobson back to Winston and everything is bone dry even on back roads. There will be no major black ice. I'm sure a spot or two.

Same here. I'm really surprised being as at 7pm last night the roads were completely wet here. I guess that wind dried it before it had chance to freeze.

Archived