Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Banter Banter Thread Part2

H2O

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yaaaayyyy!!! A music thread!

I saved some Frequency Curves from the mix I posted the other day.

freq1.jpg

Key

Purple = Drums
Yellow = Bass
White = Guitar
Blue = Entire Mix

Grey = Industry -6db standard high freq slope (just a conservative guide)

Looking at the low frequency range...

Drums

The peak in the 60hz reion is the kick. The smaller peak at 200 hz is the snare.

The stuff from 5000hz and greater are cymbals/hihat. Of those individual pieces of the drum kit occupy more frequecies than the

ones I listed but that is the meat of them.

Bass

You'll notice the the peak in the bass is betweent 80-90hz. With a cut in the 500-1000hz range to give the guitars some room in

the mix. Above 5000 hz there is not much going on with the bass. Also you will not a pretty steep drop at about 50 hz with both

the drums and bass. The stuff below 30hz really isn't of much use and is mostly just sub-bass and mud. Drastically reducing those

frequencies eliminate boominess and increase headroom for the overall mix.

Guitars

The guitars peak at about 130hz on the low end. I generally use a high pass filter starting at 80hz or above depending on the

source. Not much going on with guitar below that. Also notice the substantial drop at 7khz. I will usually set a low pass filter

staring @ 12khz and down to 8khz on guitar. Most of the rest is just fizz... which is kinda ear piercing.

The point here is to make room in the spectrum between 20-20khz for each instrument. Without this each instrument is fighting for

a place in the spectrum which creates a cloudy, muddy, messy mix.

The pic below shows what the mix looks like when all those parts are combined....

freq2.jpg

The grey line that I mentioned before is used as a guidline for your high frequency slope. There is also another guide with a less

dramatic slope and, naturally, higher db as a result. I did not include that in these pics. Looking at the final mix you'll

probably notice it does not follow the guide exactly. Which is why it is just a guide.

I have looked at numerous commercial mixes over the years and they all follow this format. There are multi-part proffesionally

mixed files from well know artist with individual tracks availible online. I have analyzed the drum, bass, guitar and vocal tracks

from those and they follow this "format" as well.

And finally, the next pic shows all of the individual frequency curves together. You will notice a dip in the middle of the 500hz

- 2khz region. This is were the bulk of vocals usually go. I have tried to leave some space in that area for them. Looking at that

region I would considering carving out some more space but would not make that choice until the vocal were actually added to the

mix.

freq3.jpg

Joe Buck seems like a pretty cool guy, but I think even Nantz is better than Buck. There could be a Hail Mary TD to win the Superbowl and Buck would make it sound like a 2 yard rush on the first play of the game. No emotion whatsoever.

I know what you mean about Buck…the most excited I've heard him is this year's game 2 of the ALCS when Big Papi hit the GS to tie the game (I liked his call on that GS).  But I still prefer Buck/Aikmen over Nantz/Simms.  Overall, I like Burkhardt on Fox the best probably.

A Bald Eagle flying above today. Even though they are becoming more and more common to see. I just love to see them in flight.

Great shot!  What I haven't seen in forever is a Kestrel.  When I lived locally as a teenager, it seems like I saw one every couple days.  Now I haven't seen one in the 4+ years since I moved back.  Not sure what happened to them, but nice to see Eagles get fairly common.

Great shot!  What I haven't seen in forever is a Kestrel.  When I lived locally as a teenager, it seems like I saw one every couple days.  Now I haven't seen one in the 4+ years since I moved back.  Not sure what happened to them, but nice to see Eagles get fairly common.

Thanks!

I assume you are talking about the American Kestrel?

479px-AmericanKestrel02.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Kestrel

It seems like they are still around. This is a map from eBird of reported sightings in 2013/2014 of the American Kestrel.

post-1048-0-65636500-1390176781_thumb.jp

Thanks!

I assume you are talking about the American Kestrel?

It seems like they are still around. This is a map from eBird of reported sightings in 2013/2014 of the American Kestrel.

Yes.  That's good.  That's a cool website, haven't seen that before.  Of course, I haven't birded much in the last 2 years. 

Archived