Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-10F here in Orwell.  Pretty darn cold.  And a nasty stiff breeze. 

Has anyone noticed the remarkable departures from normal at BTV since November 1?  Of the 82 days, 38 have double digit departures (21 negative and 17 positive).  That's nearly half the days!  Of those, 11 days of departure were in the + 20F range, and it looks like we'll be adding another four to five days before the month is over.  Wow.  Talk about a highly amplified pattern.  This sure strikes me as extremely rare, but I don't have access to the daily data for the past sixty years to know if it's, instead, along the lines of an infrequent to unusual occurrence.

At my place 16 of 22 days this month have had double-digit departures, 8 in each direction.  Five of those days have been 20+ from the norm, 4 below and one above. 

Modest -7 for today's low, though I expect -20s tonight and possibly tomorrow night as well.

Back when I was in 6th or 7th grade (78 or 79) I remember walking through downtown Barre and the old bank thermometer reading -30.  Then a couple of years later when I was living in Brookfield I remember the radio station that our bus driver was listening to saying that it was -40 at the studio in Randolph, which is located about halfway down the hill between the interstate and the village.  Neither of these are "official" but they were damn cold! :shiver:

It was 78, I was working construction back then and we had about 10 days in the the -20 to -30 range for temps

Yes, but if I remember correctly, it was north Florida :P

Oops...busted...lol!

The panhandle, actually.  Panama City, to be exact; except when I was at school in Tallahassee.  Yeah, certainly a different climate from south and central Florida.  We would have below freezing temps once, sometimes twice a winter, although there were years when it never got that low. 

There were three instances of snowfall while I lived there.  One was just an hour or so of flurries, one was enough to whiten the ground, and the jackpot was a 1-2" accumulation event.  The whole town came to a grinding halt...wonderful memory, that one.

Oops...busted...lol!

The panhandle, actually. Panama City, to be exact; except when I was at school in Tallahassee. Yeah, certainly a different climate from south and central Florida. We would have below freezing temps once, sometimes twice a winter, although there were years when it never got that low.

There were three instances of snowfall while I lived there. One was just an hour or so of flurries, one was enough to whiten the ground, and the jackpot was a 1-2" accumulation event. The whole town came to a grinding halt...wonderful memory, that one.

I'm actually from southwest GA originally and my parents moved back there 15 or so years ago and are living in Thomasville, GA. We often take a ride down to Panama City when we visit. Tallahassee is pretty hilly so I bet snow would really mess them up.

lol.... No snowstorms but we seem to have no problem hitting -20F or below.

Last two days have been 2/-18, 0/-23, and today we start with a -20F low.

"Vermont is an "outlier" this year in terms of snowfall trends compared with the rest of New England, National Weather Service meteorologist Andy Nash said."

Had -7 at 9 last night and figured -20 was a cinch, but I don't think it quite made it down to -15.  Partly cloudy doesn't help the radiational cooling.  Only 8 more days to get the 2.2" snow needed to keep this from being the least snowy of 16 Januarys here.  I think we'll make it out of last place, barely.

Pfreak , it may please you to note Don S is calling for a gradient pattern to set up sometime around first week in February, perhaps you will snow normally for month of February

Normal snowfall would be phenomenal.

Plotting all the years since 2000, we are currently on the lowest end of the spectrum (horizontal line, is this year).  Not that it was really any surprise, but definitely worst snowpack year so far since 2000.  Thank god for fantastic snowmaking.

Oh how I want all those years back that were solidly above normal from pretty much day 1.

"Vermont is an "outlier" this year in terms of snowfall trends compared with the rest of New England, National Weather Service meteorologist Andy Nash said."

Actually, even though we got the nice snow over the weekend, it just briefly staved off the decline in season snowfall relative to average for two to three days, and this week of clear weather has brought it right back.  In fact, snowfall for our location has now pushed right past one standard deviation below the mean (-1.06 S.D. as of today) for the first time this season.  That places 2013-2014 in the bottom 15% of seasons for snowfall through this date.  So, all the folks who were complaining about the low snowfall in the mountain areas of the Northern Greens, can do so with a bit of extra clout (for what our eight years of data are worth).  There’s still 10.5” of snow to go to keep this from being the lowest January in my records, so the potential events over this next week would really have to perform to keep it out of the basement.  This season continues to run several inches ahead of 2006-2007 though, so it’s still got that going for it.  And, even if we hadn’t picked up the 4.7” over the weekend, it would still be ahead of 2006-2007, to give one an idea of where that season sat at this point.

Now this is where the more subjective aspects come into the picture.  After this past weekend, it seems like it would be tough to complain about the snow in the local mountains, because as low as snowpack still is, those little storms were huge.  Look at the way it bumped the snowpack on Mt. Mansfield:

23JAN14A.jpg

After languishing around the two foot mark for well over a month, gaining almost 10 inches of increased snowpack depth at the stake is a huge jump.  Sure it’s not settled like the cement below it yet, and overall the snowpack is still a foot below average, but that jump was significant.  Based on our experiences at Bolton Valley on Monday, that little boost of snow was absolutely transformative – the mountain went from a few snowmaking trails with “meh” conditions, to natural snow trails opening, and legitimate Northern Greens style “Woo!” conditions:

20JAN14H.jpg

It’s hard to explain how such modest storms were so transformative, other than to assume that the underlying snowpack was just really ready for it.  That ~8” stake jump from ~24” to ~32” was much bigger than one from say 16” to 24”.  There’s still a long way to go, but these next couple of systems could be the next step toward a level of mid season normalcy in the Northern Greens if they’re anything like the last round.  Also, with the forecast suggesting that the dry, arctic air may move on after next week (hopefully not to be replaced with rain) perhaps there would be additional help for the snowpack.

Actually, even though we got the nice snow over the weekend, it just briefly staved off the decline in season snowfall relative to average for two to three days, and this week of clear weather has brought it right back.  In fact, snowfall for our location has now pushed right past one standard deviation below the mean (-1.06 S.D. as of today) for the first time this season.  That places 2013-2014 in the bottom 15% of seasons for snowfall through this date.  So, all the folks who were complaining about the low snowfall in the mountain areas of the Northern Greens, can do so with a bit of extra clout (for what our eight years of data are worth).  There’s still 10.5” of snow to go to keep this from being the lowest January in my records, so the potential events over this next week would really have to perform to keep it out of the basement.  This season continues to run several inches ahead of 2006-2007 though, so it’s still got that going for it.  And, even if we hadn’t picked up the 4.7” over the weekend, it would still be ahead of 2006-2007, to give one an idea of where that season sat at this point.

Now this is where the more subjective aspects come into the picture.  After this past weekend, it seems like it would be tough to complain about the snow in the local mountains, because as low as snowpack still is, those little storms were huge.  Look at the way it bumped the snowpack on Mt. Mansfield:

23JAN14A.jpg

After languishing around the two foot mark for well over a month, gaining almost 10 inches of increased snowpack depth at the stake is a huge jump.  Sure it’s not settled like the cement below it yet, and overall the snowpack is still a foot below average, but that jump was significant.  Based on our experiences at Bolton Valley on Monday, that little boost of snow was absolutely transformative – the mountain went from a few snowmaking trails with “meh” conditions, to natural snow trails opening, and legitimate Northern Greens style “Woo!” conditions:

20JAN14H.jpg

It’s hard to explain how such modest storms were so transformative, other than to assume that the underlying snowpack was just really ready for it.  That ~8” stake jump from ~24” to ~32” was much bigger than one from say 16” to 24”.  There’s still a long way to go, but these next couple of systems could be the next step toward a level of mid season normalcy in the Northern Greens if they’re anything like the last round.  Also, with the forecast suggesting that the dry, arctic air may move on after next week (hopefully not to be replaced with rain) perhaps there would be additional help for the snowpack.

nice writeup, you guys are good going forward, hang in there I know its tough when you can get pictures like the above. I feel like I am getting old watching Ty grow up on here, wait I am old.

Col;dest air continues to hang just to my west, and the lows yesterday and today were about 10F milder than I'd expect given the forecast.  This morning was calm and clear, and with last night's forecast showing -12 for S.Franklin, our frost pocket reached only about -7.  No complaints, as the woodpile is shrinking more than fast enough, but when wintry forecasts start to consistently bust low for temps and/or high for snow, it seems that the good (weenie) stuff is on the way out.  There have been exceptions, and I hope this year is another.

This cold has been nothing special in our area, and the forecast is a snoozer. I guess it beats another parade of rainstorms.

Yeah, only bottomed out at -1F, but that's to be expected on the hill. Maybe an inch tomorrow and something monday. We need a good hitter soon. Freakin snow is sublimating on a daily basis. Looks really ratty in the woods.

Archived