joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I went into the gym and came out to a fluffy inch on my car in about 50 minutes time.

Nice. The sun is coming out here now so it looks like it has wrapped up. It looks like we had an additional 0.2 or 0.3" through this afternoon but depth is hard to gauge because there is a little blowing and drifting. So out total from this event was around 3.4" or 3.5"

4F in Pittsburg after 5"+ of snow. They sure now how to run a cold front up there.

Yeah, this whole area of NNE from them curling back this way down the western slope of the greater Appalachians is great at this stuff...its the bread and butter of winter.

Lots of folks with 6-10" in the max zone over here...including the ski areas.  Rare when even BTV picks up 6" from blocked orographic flow. 

I picked up another 3.0" exactly since I left this morning... so my totals at home are: 2.2" yesterday, 1.3" last night, 3.0" today, for 6.5" total.  Biggest event of January here by almost 200%, haha. 

So I left one side of the snowboard alone though to see what just the final "snow depth" would be...so the roughly 12 hour measurements come out to 6.5", and the depth on the board is just above 5.5".  So there's almost an inch of settling in that fluff.

So this was what fell during that last burst of heavy snow that moved through between 2:15-3:15pm... on the car windshield (which was warm from driving, thus the snow was melting/sliding down) we got an inch of new snow but you can see how fluffy this stuff is.  You can see right through it. 

And here's a photo of the bushes out back as that last burst of heavy snow moved out...the sun came out like 15 minutes later, haha.

About 4.5" total since Saturday night.  Not big numbers but it looks a lot better out there than it did a few days ago.  Wish we had the juju going this year to pull this next system NW but its not to be.  I would be pretty satisfied with a steady diet of this, I don't need real big storms.

Another 1.25" here overnight and today despite the blocked flow.

Can someone point me to where the current Froude Numbers are available? And is that a calculation you guys do on your own or is it put out by BTV?

At the bottom of the Mansfield Mesonet page... it calculates the current Froude and then on the right, you can get the forecast values based on the BTV4 model.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/profile/

3.3" of total fluff today.  Actually had to shovel!

Nice!  Curious, what was your "storm" total from yesterday/last night/today?  Clearing every 12 hours or so I came up with 6.5".

We miss out on the coastal storm over the next couple days but the 18z GFS has us do this whole thing again next weekend with long duration upslope signal from clipper and then arctic front at the end.

Nice!  Curious, what was your "storm" total from yesterday/last night/today?  Clearing every 12 hours or so I came up with 6.5".

We miss out on the coastal storm over the next couple days but the 18z GFS has us do this whole thing again next weekend with long duration upslope signal from clipper and then arctic front at the end.

My storm total was also 6.5"  I cleared the board yesterday at 7am and at 10pm and tonight at 6pm.

Event totals: 2.9” Snow/0.10” L.E.

We picked up another 1.4” of snow today at the house subsequent to the morning analysis, and I could tell that it had settled a bit by the time I got back from the mountain to check it, but it still came in at a lofty 3.6% H2O.

Details from the 4:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 28.0

Snow Density: 3.6% H2O

Temperature: 10.4 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

Indeed a lot more snow had fallen up on the hill today, and it snowed until the last hour or so, when we got some nice late day sunshine.  I suspect the situation was similar for many of the local mountains.  I reported the early 24-hour accumulations this morning, and with the snows from the frontal passage apparently complete around here, I’ve got the 48/72-hour snow totals below to cover this weekend’s snow.  For those Vermont ski areas that have made an afternoon update and report 48/72-hour totals, I’ve got the snowfall reports listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 13”

Smuggler’s Notch: 13”

Stowe: 10”

Bolton Valley: 8”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 4”

Killington: 4”

Okemo: T”

Stratton: 1”

In the mid afternoon today I did a depth check on the powder at elevation 2,775’ at Bolton Valley, and came in with a consistent 10” in several areas, which should represent the settled total up to that point from these last 2 to 3 rounds of snow:

20JAN14B.jpg

In some spots we were easily finding a foot of powder though, thanks to all the recent non-events, so it was back to usual NVT “dust on crust” regime:

20JAN14A.jpg

20JAN14C.jpg

It’s not saying much of course with the demeanor of the past few week’s ski conditions that have been put forth by the outlandish weather pattern, but I’d argue that today was the best ski day of the calendar year so far around here.  And to think, as PF mentioned earlier in the ski thread, what we just managed for the first time in 2014 was to have an average snowfall week.  Above average might be fun too at some point, we’ll have to see if we can reel one of those in.

Looks like SNE will have more snow on the ground by the weekend then NNE except for maybe the VT mountains. You guys in VT are turning the corner. Meanwhile nothing of significance in site over here. Enjoy the fluff.

You are getting snow tomorrow night and this weekend. Untie the knot.

Looks like SNE will have more snow on the ground by the weekend then NNE except for maybe the VT mountains. You guys in VT are turning the corner. Meanwhile nothing of significance in site over here. Enjoy the fluff.

You are getting snow tomorrow night and this weekend. Untie the knot.

climbing down from the ladder now.

Eyewall you were looking for your blocked flow event ;). BTV has more snow than the village here east of the mountain. But something odd has been going on because the Froude has been going up and down...a lot of the past two days it's been 0.5 or so (now it's 0.25 I think) but must've rose enough to smoke the mountain last night.

Another 1.25" here overnight and today despite the blocked flow.

Can someone point me to where the current Froude Numbers are available? And is that a calculation you guys do on your own or is it put out by BTV?

At the bottom of the Mansfield Mesonet page... it calculates the current Froude and then on the right, you can get the forecast values based on the BTV4 model.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/profile/

There's been issue with the calculated one so far this year. The anemometer on top of Mansfield is reporting too low of a wind because of ice issues as well as the siting was changed temporarily, so the Froude Number is and will be too low on that location. I recommend just using the forecasted one from the BTV4 model. It's usually pretty good.

As for yesterday/last night/today, the Froude started out very low, between 0.25 to 0.5 this Sunday morning, so very blocked, favoring the CPV. It went to 1 and then above Sunday afternoon and overnight (steeper lapse rates and stronger winds with the incoming colder air) smoking the mountains, and then dropped back down early Monday morning.

The blocked flow event did happen indeed. I only wish it was to 2010 levels LOL. Anyway we had another dusting of sugar overnight from what appeared to be a little plume from NNW flow of the lake I am guessing. About 0.2" from that.  We are starting today at -7F.

Archived