joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say it is snowing slightly harder than yesterday with vis occasionally below 1/2 mile. 2.3" or so for today based on a measurement at about 8am or just before. I think we will beat yesterday's 3" even as it is in the teens and it looks like we will see a longer period of the heavy returns

Event totals: 1.5” Snow/0.05” L.E.

I found 1.5” of snow on the snowboard this morning at 7:00 A.M. when I cleared it, and since then, another nice push of moisture has helped to pick up the snowfall rate:

20JAN14A.gif

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 21.9 F

Sky: Light snow (1-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

I headed up to Bolton Valley for a quick twilight tour at the end of the day yesterday; I only went up to the 2,500’ level, but here’s the report on powder depths with respect to elevation:

1,500’: 1-2”

2,100’: 4”

2,500’: 4-5”

There was some base down at 1,500’ at the Timberline Base, but it was pretty lean and would have probably been in rock ski or junkboard territory if you wanted a full descent down to that elevation.  Up at the Village elevations and above though, the powder skiing was quite nice as long as you were on appropriate terrain.  For more details, the full report is at the link below, and I’ve also added an image of one of the cars in the Village lot that had taken on some of the recent accumulations:

http://jandeproductions.com/2014/01/19/bolton-valley-vt-19jan2014/

19JAN14A.jpg

The snow had already ramped up to a moderate pace by the time I was heading back down the road around 5:30 P.M. yesterday evening, and the resort reported 3-4” new this morning with additional snow falling.  Here’s what I’ve found for overnight/24-hour snowfall reports from the Vermont ski areas, the listing is north to south:

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: T”

Bromley: 1”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: T”

Mount Snow: 2”

This is one of those instances where the accumulations generally trend off as one heads south, but it should be a good day out there on some of the slopes.

As of ~8:30 A.M., the recent round of snowfall activity has put down another 0.4” here at the house.

I would say it is snowing slightly harder than yesterday with vis occasionally below 1/2 mile. 2.3" or so for today based on a measurement at about 8am or just before. I think we will beat yesterday's 3" even as it is in the teens and it looks like we will see a longer period of the heavy returns

So you're likely to have 6" over the last two days even in this crappy pattern? This is why many in SNE consider us whiners! LOL!

So you're likely to have 6" over the last two days even in this crappy pattern? This is why many in SNE consider us whiners! LOL!

This is our bread and butter and we've gone a solid month without something like this. 

The daily snows.  Its coming down up here on the mountain too... beautiful half-dollar flakes.

A lot of it seems to be build-up, perception, and fanfare too – some Champlain Valley totals over the past couple of days are probably going to be more than most people picked up in the big norlun hullaballoo from the other day in the SNE thread, but the accumulations up here didn’t necessarily come in the span of a couple of hours, and 50 people didn’t suddenly jump into the thread and weenie out because it was snowing.  Appreciating the climate up here can take a different mindset if you’re always looking for the next big event, but there’s a reason seasonal snowfall averages are 2-3X (or 4-6X in the mountains) what they are in many southern locales in the region.

I just got an email that Burlington has put its parking ban in effect – that’s usually a sign that there’s been a substantial enough amount of snow to pique their interest.

I guess you have a point there. I wasn't expecting this much out of either system.

I'm just giving you a hard time.  It has been an awful stretch of weather for us winter lovers here in VT.  We may not get the big blizzards like they do in areas closer to the coast but we do the small to medium events so well that they often don't stand out, just sort of meld together.

1.0" yesterday put a nice veneer on the tired (but oh so solid) snowpack.  Jan snow total now 3.5", catching up to total precip (3.61") and we only need another 2.3" to avoid matching last year for least snowy Jan.  Glad to see the Groundhog Day torch-deluge has disappeared from gfs; hope it stays away.

A lot of it seems to be build-up, perception, and fanfare too – some Champlain Valley totals over the past couple of days are probably going to be more than most people picked up in the big norlun hullaballoo from the other day in the SNE thread, but the accumulations up here didn’t necessarily come in the span of a couple of hours, and 50 people didn’t suddenly jump into the thread and weenie out because it was snowing.  Appreciating the climate up here can take a different mindset if you’re always looking for the next big event, but there’s a reason seasonal snowfall averages are 2-3X (or 4-6X in the mountains) what they are in many southern locales in the region.

I just got an email that Burlington has put its parking ban in effect – that’s usually a sign that there’s been a substantial enough amount of snow to pique their interest.

Completely agree.  Personally, I love those stretches where there are daily small accumulations.  Of course, when you feel like winter has been a bust and snow is lacking, you start getting antsy for something bigger in order to make up ground quickly.

Eyewall you were looking for your blocked flow event ;). BTV has more snow than the village here east of the mountain. But something odd has been going on because the Froude has been going up and down...a lot of the past two days it's been 0.5 or so (now it's 0.25 I think) but must've rose enough to smoke the mountain last night.

It's a shame you punted January

I still think of this as a punted January, but maybe the definitions are different. If we get another 10" event maybe I'll think differently. One borderline warning event in the snowiest month of the year doesn't make it a non-punt, lol.

Maybe it's different in BTV, but we are at 17" on the month now out of a say 70" 15-year total. Say you average 70" in a winter, and are currently at 17" on March 1st with a dry pattern upcoming. Yeah punt looks good...even though absolutely stoked about it finally snowing.

Eyewall you were looking for your blocked flow event ;). BTV has more snow than the village here east of the mountain. But something odd has been going on because the Froude has been going up and down...a lot of the past two days it's been 0.5 or so (now it's 0.25 I think) but must've rose enough to smoke the mountain last night.

It was definitely evident on radar in terms of the changes. I am getting better now at recognizing it. Early on the good returns were up there and then over time as the Froude dropped again we got it. The best scenario to get both areas in on the action. It will be cold and dry this week, but with some fresh powder and snowmaking things should improve in the ski areas. Hopefully something produces this weekend.

I still think of this as a punted January, but maybe the definitions are different. If we get another 10" event maybe I'll think differently. One borderline warning event in the snowiest month of the year doesn't make it a non-punt, lol.

Maybe it's different in BTV, but we are at 17" on the month now out of a say 70" 15-year total. Say you average 70" in a winter, and are currently at 17" on March 1st with a dry pattern upcoming. Yeah punt looks good...even though absolutely stoked about it finally snowing.

I remember his posts about the Euro looking terrible..with 0 qpf etc etc..and he punted the month away.

I remember his posts about the Euro looking terrible..with 0 qpf etc etc..and he punted the month away.

Well you almost punted the rest of the month the last couple days until your post this morning about time to get invested. Your posts yesterday and the day before were all dry and it sucks for CT while everyone else has snow and no real threats.

It happens to everyone. But this still doesn't make up for the lost month since DEC 21st.

Speaking of football, the GFS has storminess over the northeast for the Superbowl at the Meadowlands, lol.

Long way off obviously but that would be quite a spectacle.  ;)

12z GFS verbatim looks like a cold heavy rainstorm for the SB

This would really be the perfect time for  BECS except for the lack of Patriots playing

note ktet (Teterboro Airport, NJ) is a few miles from the meadowlands or whatever they call it now

so that's a good station to watch

12z GFS verbatim looks like a cold heavy rainstorm for the SB

This would really be the perfect time for  BECS except for the lack of Patriots playing

Not what the NFL is hoping for, ha-ha.

Yeah, tough game yesterday for the Pats.  They had no answers on defence.  Might as well have been 40-16....

No, I said the Euro had 3-6" as its 240 hour run snow total at that time. I punted the month in terms of big ticket snows. As powder said the mountains have been short changed much more than the CPV in relation to normal. Obviously I don't take run total QPF verbatim and expect it to work out exactly as it is modeled, but the theme was cold and dry. Obviously we did well in these two events, but cold and dry is still on the table overall.

Not what the NFL is hoping for, ha-ha.

Yeah, tough game yesterday for the Pats.  They had no answers on defence.  Might as well have been 40-16....

They were lucky to have made it that far with all the injury's this year, Don't think many other teams could have pulled it off

Snowing what has to be 40:1 ratio snow now. Just fat flakes falling slowly but covered up my windshield pretty quickly. The stuff where you can still see your car under 1" of fluff.

Yeah we have seen an increase in snow again and I am sure another tenth or two has accumulated. It is getting harder to gauge with some blowing now.

Archived