• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

There's been issue with the calculated one so far this year. The anemometer on top of Mansfield is reporting too low of a wind because of ice issues as well as the siting was changed temporarily, so the Froude Number is and will be too low on that location. I recommend just using the forecasted one from the BTV4 model. It's usually pretty good.

As for yesterday/last night/today, the Froude started out very low, between 0.25 to 0.5 this Sunday morning, so very blocked, favoring the CPV. It went to 1 and then above Sunday afternoon and overnight (steeper lapse rates and stronger winds with the incoming colder air) smoking the mountains, and then dropped back down early Monday morning.

Good to know, I had been wondering about that calculated Froude number because I noticed the BTV4 had it getting up into the 1-1.2 range for a bit overnight but never saw the calculated version getting much above 0.25-0.5.  Its been really low for the entire event which I thought was strange considering how Mansfield summit and east slope was doing early yesterday morning.

In addition to the wind speed issues freezing the sensor at the summit, it seems we have lost Verizon service this morning, too...for whatever reason.  The cell tower I think is up there with the WCAX instruments.  Its odd when a bunch of people lose cell service...its like the dark ages again before people carried around the internet in their pocket.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The airport reported 3.3" yesterday so I am confident in my measurments. -2.6" departure now (so not too bad).

Oh man, that's essentially average.  What I would do to be only 2-3" below average, haha. 

At least like J.Spin and I have mentioned, this week was the first week where we got to average snowfall yet...with 14-18" at the summits in the past 7 days.  This pattern looks like it'll be hard to keep that run going, so we'll likely lose more ground this week.  I just am trying to figure out what patterns we must've had going back in the good years to be clearing 24-30" per week to try to gain a little ground on average.  Maybe a 60-inch in two week type run would at least gain us back a week that we missed in the past month. 

What saved 2011-2012 from being absolutely horrific was the 6 feet in 8 day stretch in later February 2012....including the 36" in 36 hour upslope event.  We had little snow on the ground until that stretch, then that late February burst that put down 70-inches put the snowpack back up to respectable levels:

IMG_2753_edited-1.jpg

Will be a good weekend for ice skating. I'm beginning to think nothing more than a dusting here. Maybe the weekend system will trend in our favor.

This one was never one for here, Even when the models had it further north it was just a fringe job at best, The one over the weekend has some promise and early next week to

Not really much we can do about it, I use to get pissed a few years back when we had events like this, But all that does is add unwanted stress

yeah, I hear ya. It's just frustrating to see a whole month slip away without much snow and riding. Although, I just looked at the reports and Greenville north claims 4-6" since the other day and grooming is ongoing. Rangeley reports a couple inches and improved trails.  Would like to ride out of andover on saturday

yeah, I hear ya. It's just frustrating to see a whole month slip away without much snow and riding. Although, I just looked at the reports and Greenville north claims 4-6" since the other day and grooming is ongoing. Rangeley reports a couple inches and improved trails.  Would like to ride out of andover on saturday

I have been out twice, 160 miles, I hate to have to trailer to the trails, But i do have some free night stays for 4 at the Northern Outdoors in the Forks

This one was never one for here, Even when the models had it further north it was just a fringe job at best, The one over the weekend has some promise and early next week to

True.  Unlike last Saturday's for which models 3 days prior were showing 0.5" LE for central Maine, this one never pointed to much happenening away from salt water.

Despite some trolling from Tolland we will likely clear January without a big ticket up here. This weekend could be another moderate event, but we shall see.

I would be happy with another moderate event.  I haven't really looked at the weekend but if I had a choice I would rather have it Saturday as I have to drive up to St. Albans early Sunday morning.

I would be happy with another moderate event.  I haven't really looked at the weekend but if I had a choice I would rather have it Saturday as I have to drive up to St. Albans early Sunday morning.

Timing appears to be Saturday night from what I saw. Today the sun is filtered through the high cirrus of the storm to the south.

Timing appears to be Saturday night from what I saw. Today the sun is filtered through the high cirrus of the storm to the south.

I'm certainly not holding my breath. This has the look of one of those where you can see the good radar echoes hit a wall and then slide east as they get a little past BOS. It doesn't bother me that others are cashing in this time; at least we have decent coverage (if not depth) and it feels like winter out there. Seems like this the winter of short-fuse events that appear to come almost out of nowhere, so we'll see what the next few days bring.....

Edit: Whoops -- meant for this to be in response to MainePhotog's posting of the GYX snowfall map.

I'm certainly not holding my breath. This has the look of one of those where you can see the good radar echoes hit a wall and then slide east as they get a little past BOS. It doesn't bother me that others are cashing in this time; at least we have decent coverage (if not depth) and it feels like winter out there. Seems like this the winter of short-fuse events that appear to come almost out of nowhere, so we'll see what the next few days bring.....

Edit: Whoops -- meant for this to be in response to MainePhotog's posting of the GYX snowfall map.

Or we could be pleasantly surprised. Good for you! Holding your breath is not good for your health.

Not so sure our warnings verify. Not so sure most of our advisories verify either. Deep, deep winter.

If anyplace can verify your warning Itll probably be close to where I am in SW Rockingham. I haven't liked the trends today though, well see what happens.   

Archived