• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

-10F here in Orwell.  Pretty darn cold.  And a nasty stiff breeze. 

Has anyone noticed the remarkable departures from normal at BTV since November 1?  Of the 82 days, 38 have double digit departures (21 negative and 17 positive).  That's nearly half the days!  Of those, 11 days of departure were in the + 20F range, and it looks like we'll be adding another four to five days before the month is over.  Wow.  Talk about a highly amplified pattern.  This sure strikes me as extremely rare, but I don't have access to the daily data for the past sixty years to know if it's, instead, along the lines of an infrequent to unusual occurrence.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at the BTV NWS discussion to see how things were looking for the potential system this weekend, and they actually speak of two possible events – a clipper, and then a frontal boundary.  If it was anything like this past weekend it could be good for the mountains:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

AS OF 345 AM EST WEDNESDAY...DEEP FULL LATITUDE TROF WL CONT ACRS

THE EASTERN CONUS FOR DAYS 4 THRU 7...RESULTING IN BLW NORMAL

TEMPS AND SEVERAL CHCS FOR LIGHT ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL.

OVERALL...MODELS IN EXCELLENT AGREEMENT WITH LARGE SCALE SYNOPTIC

PATTERN...BUT ARE STRUGGLING WITH INDIVIDUAL TRACK/TIMING OF

CLIPPER LIKE SYSTEMS...ESPECIALLY TWD EARLY NEXT WEEK. THE

GEM/ECMWF/GFS ALL SHOW FIRST CLIPPER APPROACHING OUR WESTERN CWA

BY 12Z SATURDAY...WITH 980MB LOW PRES TRACKING TO OUR NORTH. THIS

WL RESULT IN STRONG GUSTY SOUTHERLY WINDS AND TEMPS WARMING INTO

THE TEENS AND 20S ON SATURDAY. GOOD 850 TO 500MB RH WL BE

PRESENT...ALONG WITH SOME Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE FROM POTENT 5H

VORT...AND SOME ENHANCED LVLL FORCING FROM 925MB TO 850MB JET OF 35

TO 45 KNOTS...RESULTING IN A WIDESPREAD LIGHT ACCUMULATING

SNOWFALL. EXPECT SOME SHADOWING ACRS THE CPV...PER LLVL JET

PROFILE AND ASSOCIATED MINIMAL IN THE QPF FIELDS. EARLY

INDICATIONS FOR SNOWFALL WOULD SUPPORT 2 TO 6 INCHES

DACKS/NORTHERN/CENTRAL GREEN MTNS TO DUSTING TO 3 INCHES SLV/CPV/CT

RIVER VALLEYS. ALSO...GIVEN COLD THERMAL PROFILES EXPECT A HIGH

FLUFF FACTOR 20 OR 30 TO 1. A SHARP ACRTIC BOUNDARY SWINGS ACRS

OUR CWA SATURDAY NIGHT...WITH ADDITIONAL SNOW SHOWERS AND SNOW

SQUALLS POSSIBLE. THE COMBINATION OF STRONG SFC CONVERGENCE...GOOD

RIBBON OF 925MB FGEN FORCING...AND SOME ENHANCED MOISTURE

PRESENT...WL SUPPORT ANOTHER ROUND OF LIGHT ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL.

EXPECT AN ADDITIONAL DUSTING TO 4 OR 5 INCHES POSSIBLE OVERNIGHT.

WL MENTION HIGH CHC TO CAT POPS FOR SAT/SAT NIGHT TO COVER BOTH

SYSTEMS.

I read that this morning. It was definitely encouraging. My car had a tough time cranking up this morning.

At only -12°?  You need to get that thing Vermonterized!  Seriously though, cars and such handle this type of weather so much better today than when I was growing up.  I can't remember the last car I had that I needed a block heater.  Seems like 25-30 years ago we would have a much harder time getting cars to start in the cold, pipes freezing and other issues.

-23F for the low here... brrrrr. 

That will put some hair on your ass ;) Anyway back in my former home of NC there was a plume of lake effect off Kerr Lake this morning, which is near the VA border. A very rare event. Just thought that was interesting.

I was looking at the BTV NWS discussion to see how things were looking for the potential system this weekend, and they actually speak of two possible events – a clipper, and then a frontal boundary.  If it was anything like this past weekend it could be good for the mountains:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

AS OF 345 AM EST WEDNESDAY...DEEP FULL LATITUDE TROF WL CONT ACRS

THE EASTERN CONUS FOR DAYS 4 THRU 7...RESULTING IN BLW NORMAL

TEMPS AND SEVERAL CHCS FOR LIGHT ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL.

OVERALL...MODELS IN EXCELLENT AGREEMENT WITH LARGE SCALE SYNOPTIC

PATTERN...BUT ARE STRUGGLING WITH INDIVIDUAL TRACK/TIMING OF

CLIPPER LIKE SYSTEMS...ESPECIALLY TWD EARLY NEXT WEEK. THE

GEM/ECMWF/GFS ALL SHOW FIRST CLIPPER APPROACHING OUR WESTERN CWA

BY 12Z SATURDAY...WITH 980MB LOW PRES TRACKING TO OUR NORTH. THIS

WL RESULT IN STRONG GUSTY SOUTHERLY WINDS AND TEMPS WARMING INTO

THE TEENS AND 20S ON SATURDAY. GOOD 850 TO 500MB RH WL BE

PRESENT...ALONG WITH SOME Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE FROM POTENT 5H

VORT...AND SOME ENHANCED LVLL FORCING FROM 925MB TO 850MB JET OF 35

TO 45 KNOTS...RESULTING IN A WIDESPREAD LIGHT ACCUMULATING

SNOWFALL. EXPECT SOME SHADOWING ACRS THE CPV...PER LLVL JET

PROFILE AND ASSOCIATED MINIMAL IN THE QPF FIELDS. EARLY

INDICATIONS FOR SNOWFALL WOULD SUPPORT 2 TO 6 INCHES

DACKS/NORTHERN/CENTRAL GREEN MTNS TO DUSTING TO 3 INCHES SLV/CPV/CT

RIVER VALLEYS. ALSO...GIVEN COLD THERMAL PROFILES EXPECT A HIGH

FLUFF FACTOR 20 OR 30 TO 1. A SHARP ACRTIC BOUNDARY SWINGS ACRS

OUR CWA SATURDAY NIGHT...WITH ADDITIONAL SNOW SHOWERS AND SNOW

SQUALLS POSSIBLE. THE COMBINATION OF STRONG SFC CONVERGENCE...GOOD

RIBBON OF 925MB FGEN FORCING...AND SOME ENHANCED MOISTURE

PRESENT...WL SUPPORT ANOTHER ROUND OF LIGHT ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL.

EXPECT AN ADDITIONAL DUSTING TO 4 OR 5 INCHES POSSIBLE OVERNIGHT.

WL MENTION HIGH CHC TO CAT POPS FOR SAT/SAT NIGHT TO COVER BOTH

SYSTEMS.

It looks very similar to what happened just a few days ago.  The frontal passage looks pretty sharp right now... that could blast the mountains for a few hours.  Hopefully it happens like it did the other time... I love when its just ripping at 4-6am when I'm driving to work and getting stuff ready for the day.  Being all alone for an hour and a half in the Mtn Ops Center, looking over weather data, listening to the roof creak in strong NW winds, as it just rips heavy snow, chatting with the groomers and snowmakers over the radio.  There's just something about being up at the mountains in the dark while its snowing and storming, especially when its not doing much in town or Burlington...no one has any idea a localized blizzard is occurring a few miles away, haha.

What we do well up here is cold... look at some of these temps.  And I thought the -23F here was cold...looks like similar elevation to here near that 700-900ft range on the west slope got down to -25F over in West Bolton, and then further north on the west slope in Franklin County put up some -28F and -29F readings.

But holy crap on the Saint Lawrence Valley...they even out-did the SLK/Lake Placid area.  Gouveneur co-op taking it home at -35F!

NORTHERN NEW YORK     GOUVERNEUR COOP                       -35    OGDENSBERG AIRPORT ASOS               -33    GOUVERNEUR                            -31    BRASHER FALLS RAWS                    -30    MASSENA RICHARDS FIELD ASOS           -30    SARANAC LAKE / ADIRONDACK ARPT ASOS   -30    WANAKENA RNGR SCHOOL COOP             -30    LAKE PLACID                           -29

What we do well up here is cold... look at some of these temps.  And I thought the -23F here was cold...looks like similar elevation to here near that 700-900ft range on the west slope got down to -25F over in West Bolton, and then further north on the west slope in Franklin County put up some -28F and -29F readings.

But holy crap on the Saint Lawrence Valley...they even out-did the SLK/Lake Placid area.  Gouveneur co-op taking it home at -35F!

NORTHERN NEW YORK     GOUVERNEUR COOP                       -35    OGDENSBERG AIRPORT ASOS               -33    GOUVERNEUR                            -31    BRASHER FALLS RAWS                    -30    MASSENA RICHARDS FIELD ASOS           -30    SARANAC LAKE / ADIRONDACK ARPT ASOS   -30    WANAKENA RNGR SCHOOL COOP             -30    LAKE PLACID                           -29

Interesting how it the coldest of the cold was held to the west while normal cod spots like Island Pond "only" got down to -19°

Nice pic, PF. What exactly do you do at Stowe? You head of mountain operations?

Haha I wish... no I've got a bunch of titles, snow reporter/weather observer/operations communication, social media supervisor, staff forecaster, staff photographer. It's a hybrid of marketing and mountain operations, though I work out of the Mtn Ops Center.

Haha I wish... no I've got a bunch of titles, snow reporter/weather observer/operations communication, social media supervisor, staff forecaster, staff photographer. It's a hybrid of marketing and mountain operations, though I work out of the Mtn Ops Center.

I  think you missed  POWDER TESTER. 

Jesus h...already -12F here at home. I see -15F nearby in Underhill and at a PWS in Morrisville. Yikes if it's already this cold.

I wonder if some lows tonight could beat the previous outbreak when we were below zero for a few days.

I wonder if some lows tonight could beat the previous outbreak when we were below zero for a few days.

Last night's northern NY lows were incredible, like the -35F in Gouverneur and -37F at Watertown/ART. That's brutal stuff and they aren't usually ones to beat SLK in the cold sweepstakes.

What's interesting is the 24hr at Mansfield summit is 3/-13, while MVL was 0/-23, so much colder daily temperatures in the lower elevations with this cold outbreak. One of the few types of air masses that can pull that off...low level brutal cold.

Last night's northern NY lows were incredible, like the -35F in Gouverneur and -37F at Watertown/ART. That's brutal stuff and they aren't usually ones to beat SLK in the cold sweepstakes.

What's interesting is the 24hr at Mansfield summit is 3/-13, while MVL was 0/-23, so much colder daily temperatures in the lower elevations with this cold outbreak. One of the few types of air masses that can pull that off...low level brutal cold.

I can't even imagine what -37F is like. That is incredible. BTV is now thinking we will see ice crystals forming haze in the air overnight. I saw some of that on my "cold chase" when I got my -22F lol.

-11.7 here.

Coldest I have been in is -34 a few years ago in Whitefield. The sun was out and there was no wind so it wasn't that bad. A guy I was in school with back in the 90's told a story of the morning a cup of coffee spilled on him in his car at -37. the coffee froze instantly and he just brushed it off. I have no idea how much exaggeration there was but a good story.

-11.7 here.

Coldest I have been in is -34 a few years ago in Whitefield. The sun was out and there was no wind so it wasn't that bad. A guy I was in school with back in the 90's told a story of the morning a cup of coffee spilled on him in his car at -37. the coffee froze instantly and he just brushed it off. I have no idea how much exaggeration there was but a good story.

Back when I was in 6th or 7th grade (78 or 79) I remember walking through downtown Barre and the old bank thermometer reading -30.  Then a couple of years later when I was living in Brookfield I remember the radio station that our bus driver was listening to saying that it was -40 at the studio in Randolph, which is located about halfway down the hill between the interstate and the village.  Neither of these are "official" but they were damn cold! :shiver:

-11.7 here.

I could see that happening at -37 haha. That's an incredible temperature.

Archived