Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a LES guru, someone please go chase this band. Would love to see some videos of some crazy snowfall rates! The band I chased a month ago has confirmed rates of 3-5 inches per hour from the NWS in Buffalo. Here is the video for anyone that wants to watch. It was Christmas time, so hopefully the music isn't to annoying. ^_^

As a LES guru, someone please go chase this band. Would love to see some videos of some crazy snowfall rates! The band I chased a month ago has confirmed rates of 3-5 inches per hour from the NWS in Buffalo. Here is the video for anyone that wants to watch. It was Christmas time, so hopefully the music isn't to annoying. ^_^

Timmer is chasing it...

Great video... but you're not in a belt, right?

it's all about perspective I guess...

EDIT: quit being smug... 100" a year is awesome

100" is definitely a snowbelt. The only thing you can say about a snowbelt is that 100" of snow in a snowbelt is WAY different than 100" of snow outside a snowbelt. I cant tell you how many times I check snow depth in snowbelt and nonsnowbelt locals and the difference is nowhere NEAR what it is in snowfall total. Just for example...this winter, Detroit has had 43.1" of snow and Buffalo has had 68.1". Detroit has had a peak snow depth of 16" and had 19 days with a depth of 6"+ . Buffalo has had a peak snow depth of 9" and 9 days with a depth of 6"+.

100" is definitely a snowbelt. The only thing you can say about a snowbelt is that 100" of snow in a snowbelt is WAY different than 100" of snow outside a snowbelt. I cant tell you how many times I check snow depth in snowbelt and nonsnowbelt locals and the difference is nowhere NEAR what it is in snowfall total. Just for example...this winter, Detroit has had 43.1" of snow and Buffalo has had 68.1". Detroit has had a peak snow depth of 16" and had 19 days with a depth of 6"+ . Buffalo has had a peak snow depth of 9" and 9 days with a depth of 6"+.

You can dissect a snow belt 100 different ways... Buffalo is in a snow belt for sure, but a southern one. He can't hang on the depth. But to act like just because you "only" see 110" while places close to you see 200", that you're not in a snow belt is ignorance.

Archived